PDA

View Full Version : Strength to fly???

TikkiRo
9th Apr 2001, 00:43
I've just failed a Class 2 medical for a PPL licence because the CAA doc felt I didn't have enough strength to fly the plane for cross-country!! Now this was after I told him that I've had 4 hours flying experience so far in a C172, which seemed to surprise him. I'm female, disabled and underweight, all of which he seemed to have a problem with. I'm just wondering if there are by any chance any other doctors around who would like to elaborate on how this aspect is assessed. This guy did arm-wrestle me to a draw, so to speak, but he also used, in my opinion, excessive force on his part when he wanted me to push against him. My disabilities are basically rheumatic conditions (fibromyalgia/lupus), but neither causes muscle wasting to any degree. Any takers? Thanks. TR

FireDragon
9th Apr 2001, 14:29
Tikkiro

Get another opinion! This guy sounds at best incommpetent, and at worse, an idiot. How he can determine your 'strength' by an arm wrestling match is unbelievable.

As you say, you don't appear to have anything pathalogical, although I know that Lupus can deteriorate.

Where are you from?? If it's anywhere near me, I can give you the address of the AME I went to; if not, I'm sure that you can get various AME addresses off this board

Good luck - keep at it

FD

Oleo
9th Apr 2001, 21:46
This guy sounds like a looney to me. I agree get a second opinion. Flying does not require strength and is one activity where men and women can compete on equal terms.

You need to find a sympathetic doctor with experience of pilots with disabilities.

I am trying to remember the name of a book about a woman athlete (I think) who became paralysed (i.e.: far more disabled than you) who went on to become an instructor.

Stick to your guns Tikkiro. That arm wrestling trick seems crazy to me.

TikkiRo
10th Apr 2001, 01:56
Thanks to you both - just nice to know it wasn't just me feeling a bit demoralised. In all honesty looking back, I think in any other circumstances I would take him for sexual discrimination, but since it's all in hand and seemingly now not a problem (I'm being sent for a second opinion), I'm not going to bother. I'm in Belfast and have already made contact with the AME here, ironically over another problem entirely - medication, which was supposed to be the problem this guy was to check out. Instead he bypassed that point entirely, which in some respects is negligent. Perhaps he felt that if I wasn't strong enough to fly the plane, it was irrelevant if I was stoned on painkillers http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif. Does make you wonder though... But like I said - thanks for your input. I'll know next time not to take it quietly! TR

G-BPEC
11th Apr 2001, 18:39
TikkiRo,

Glad you're getting a second opinion, cos this guy sounds like a loon! The systems in most GA aircraft now require mininal physical strength, and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Did he mention the fact that you're disabled as a reason for your failure, or was it purely a matter of strength?

G-BPEC