PDA

View Full Version : Portacabins Dressed as Perm. Accom?

seafuryfan
8th Jun 2010, 20:27
On a recent stay to Odiham I walked into a new block only to experience a distinctly 'portacabin' feel about the place (paper walls etc). On a closer look the two storey buildings look like portacabins with a sort of 'brick dressing' applied in places to make them look like 'proper' buildings.

Although they provides much needed rooms, why did they bother with the bricks? It just makes the main structure (which I give a 30 year life) more expensive for cosmetic reasons.

Is this a one-off for Odiham, or is this the new build standard?

SVK
8th Jun 2010, 20:55
Odiham???

Thank God for that! I thought you were talking about Future Brize.

Grimweasel
8th Jun 2010, 21:33
SeaFury - they are known as Tempest 1 and 2 and are of a modular design. The internal units are akin to portakabins and a brick skin is then applied to the outer and then a normal pitched roof added -this type of construction is quite common but you are correct that they do not meet 'Z type' standards and everyone at Odiham knew this; the 20 extra rooms they afforded are currently a god send despite the slightly deficient standard! As they are of a 'modular' design, the theory is that they can be moved should future infra plans at Odiham dictate. In fact, Tempest 1 was taken from another RAF Station and re-erected at Odius!

As Odiham had suffered a planning blight under Project Belvedere (now cancelled) for the past 15 years it was all the unit could afford to solve a long standing dearth of SLA. We are hoping, depending on forthcoming Defence Review, to be allocated funding to address these issues as soon as possible.

snippy
9th Jun 2010, 06:56
We are hoping, depending on forthcoming Defence Review, to be allocated funding to address these issues as soon as possible.

i.e Knock Tempest 1 and 2 down!

orgASMic
9th Jun 2010, 08:33
You will be pleased to note that the air gaps between the units make excellent fire chimneys once the surround is bricked up. hence the hair-trigger fire detection systems fitted.

Always a Sapper
9th Jun 2010, 21:31
You will be pleased to note that the air gaps between the units make excellent fire chimneys once the surround is bricked up. hence the hair-trigger fire detection systems fitted.

FFS, dinna go giving them ideas.... := They'll be torching them next in the vain hope of getting something better :E

NUFC1892
10th Jun 2010, 09:41
Odiham???

Thank God for that! I thought you were talking about Future Brize.

No, those portacabins with concrete around them have just been knocked (fallen?) down.

Memories of Stanmore Crescent 1983-85...........................frosted windows in the bedrooms

rock34
10th Jun 2010, 11:21
So 63 Sqn RAF Regt (Northolt) don't deploy on 6 month tours to Afghanistan? Clearly they don't deserve SLAM..............

Thelma Viaduct
10th Jun 2010, 16:42
10 years ago I was in a portacabin with no hot running water, beds held together with bungees and sharing lockers.

The new ones sound great :ok:

MightyGem
10th Jun 2010, 20:05
Indeed. The station Fire Section at Wattisham were reputed to have said that they wouldn't enter a burning WO's and Sgt's Mess accommodation for that reason.

Grimweasel
11th Jun 2010, 08:57
Well, DFRMO gave it a Cert A and B fire certificate so it must be ok! The last thing we'd do is to risk the lives of our most precious commodity - our people!

moggiee
11th Jun 2010, 14:20
Are they any worse than the SECO huts that formed part of the Officers' Mess at Wattisham when I had to live in one in the mid 80s?

BEagle
11th Jun 2010, 14:37
The Wattisham Seco huts were look-sherry compared to the Orlits at Honington 10 years earlier.....:mad:

Station beanstealers lived in rooms in the OM, but OCU students were dumped in the Orlits. Another endearing memory of those times....:rolleyes:

Wander00
11th Jun 2010, 15:32
SECO huts in OM complex at Watton in late 60s were pretty dire, and a dim memory says some were even OMQs.

Wyton in the early 90s had some dire accommodation, but as it was STC's trial budget station, the Staish and I with support from the other Execs used variation in the "black £" (ie fuel price) to pay for double glazing and new heating systems. AOC was not impressed but we were within the rules (just!).

minigundiplomat
11th Jun 2010, 15:45
Are they any worse than the SECO huts that formed part of the Officers' Mess at Wattisham when I had to live in one in the mid 80s?

Probably not. There again, they are not what people aspire to 30 years later. Odiham's people contribute a lot (not a cue for a p1ssing contest) and deserve better (as do personnel at other units).

The main cause for this unfortunate state of affairs is the already mentioned funding hold whilst Project Belevdere rattled it's way slowly down the tracks. Now it's over, there is no funding! Typical!