PDA

View Full Version : jobs Darwin

walesregent
8th Jun 2010, 12:36
Hello, I'm a long time reader but first time poster and was wondering what the job situation is like in Darwin. Obviously I wouldn't be asking if I had anything better than a freshly minted CPL (A) and ~200hrs tt (plus a NVFR and aero rating). While I'm not completely opposed to the idea of picking up sticks and moving in order to make applications directly, I'd like some idea of what things are like before getting there (mainly because relocation could involving moving four people). What is the consensus about job opportunities in Darwin vs Broome (or similar)?

Additionally, I'm in the process of getting my twin endorsement and will probably go on to get my MECIR. Would it likely improve matters if I got my MECIR with an operator in the location where I am looking for work, or would it be better to get it in Perth? If anyone recommends the former, any suggestions as to who to go with?

Scorpion83
9th Jun 2010, 01:18
If you have a look through the Pprune threads a while ago, there was a surplus of pilots out looking for work in Broome, Kununurra and Darwin.

Better off going (call first) to places that people have not heard of and phone as many of these guys to get their opinion of vacancies as they would be a more valid source than Pprune.

Also, ask them about their opinion of getting your MECIR. It may work out a prudent decision to only have a NVFR for now and wait until you've got some hours up then doing your MECIR. By doing this, you save the money on having to do a couple of years worth of expensive renewals and not have a real use for it.

volare_737
9th Jun 2010, 05:25
Coastwatch is looking for 4 x F/o in Darwin or Broome. Check out Cobham's web site.

MakeItHappenCaptain
9th Jun 2010, 06:25
737.......Cobham? On 200 hrs TT? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!:rolleyes:
Essential Selection Criteria
•1000 hours total flying experience
•Hold an Australian Commercial Pilot License (CPL)
•Hold a multi-engine Command Instrument Rating
Desirable Selection Criteria
•Passes in Australian ATPL subjects
•200 hours multi-engine command
•500 hours pilot in command
•70 hours pilot in command at night
•Medium/heavy turbo prop experience
•Computer literacy
Why not just apply for a job as a 380 skipper now?
RTFQ.

Seriously, though, doing your CIR will not only add a few more hours to your resume, but many companies down the track ask for a certain number of renewals and you may find that if a ME position arises, you may not be able to get the time away to attain this qualification.:ok: