PDA

View Full Version : New Chopper For Polair (NSW Police Force)

YSSY sider
8th Jun 2010, 12:17
Anyone know anymore about this?

_uMNpEdAHpg

A new machine in addition to the other 5 or are they getting rid of one?

PANews
8th Jun 2010, 22:23
All the singles will have to go to meet the European style need for twins [eventually].

Rumour has it that the type will be the EC135.

Big Beres
9th Jun 2010, 04:50
Yep EC135 - an inside source tells me it hasn't got the legs once it's kitted-up :ok:

PANews
9th Jun 2010, 07:42
Nothing has 'legs' once all the kit is on board.

Unless miniaturisation saves the day the amount of kit police machines want to carry will result in them having to upgrade to a Puma just to undertake the base role.

That is partly why the nominally 6/8 seat favourites in the base police patrol role [902/109/135] end up being three seat machines with room for an occasional passenger [but then only by removing some fuel load].

The police customer took many years to learn that fact of life... never take the sales brochure at its word ..... I think they largely got there in the end with only a few dozen horror stories. :ugh:

mickjoebill
10th Jun 2010, 00:42
I see that 4 of the new mobile command units are pictured at the end of the video :)

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
10th Jun 2010, 00:44
Reference comments about use of twins, will there be single engine ex police helicopters for sale?

Mickjoebill

Ascend Charlie
10th Jun 2010, 02:13
They flogged off the old B206s a few years back, tired old 25,000 hr machines, some had been for swims in the oggin. Rebuild by Helitech, still out there.

Friendly Black Dog
10th Jun 2010, 08:02
I hear the 135 will have about an hours endurance once all the kit is onboard. I think also they are replacing their 355N so no 350's to hit the market at this stage.

FBD

BUSA
22nd Jan 2011, 03:16
I've heard it is actually lighter than most of the detractors have predicted, with full kit it will still have around 900kg usefull payload.

industry insider
22nd Jan 2011, 11:05
I very much doubt it will have 900 kg actual payload or even useful load once kitted up.

Senior Pilot
12th Jun 2011, 04:31
NSW Polair 4 is now out and about

BUL9EBtKK5I&NR=1

Kulwin Park
12th Jun 2011, 08:13
So what is the new POLAIR 5 that they talk about at the end of the video??? Sounds like it maybe a AW139 or something.

Senior Pilot
12th Jun 2011, 08:40
So what is the new POLAIR 5 that they talk about at the end of the video??? Sounds like it maybe a AW139 or something.

Discussed in Funding Pledge for NSW Police CT helicopter (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/446209-funding-pledge-nsw-police-ct-helicopter.html) :ok:

PANews
12th Jun 2011, 09:37
An interesting and all too common point in that other thread - about the BK117 replacement - effectively dissing the EC135 for not being able to fly for more than 90 minutes after all the role equipment is fitted.

It is amazing the number of times that this comes to light in police circles. The expectation that any helicopter [or fixed wing for that matter] will fly its max passengers, max fuel and max load forever!

It is sort of understandable that historically 'mere policeman' might have been mislead on this front by sales staff in the industry who certainly do know better. The industry certainly has been guilty of distortion of capability in the past, and hopefully you might have expected that those days had passed and realism had returned..... Not so it seems.

How many times have the police been caught with the wrong airframe for the job?

Roll on the first ASU with a Chinook.

topendtorque
12th Jun 2011, 10:40
'mere policeman'

Isn't that part of the problem? Carrying around several muscle bound wallapors is a heavy task for any machine, mind you telstra reps would put most in the shade, literally.

John Eacott
12th Jun 2011, 10:54
Very impressed with Constable Stewart's appearance ;)

Ascend Charlie
13th Jun 2011, 04:15
I think you will find that the 20-stone squashers of yore are not the lads who go in the Pork Chopper these days. They must pass a fitness test - or is that a fatness test ? Don't remember... damned Alzheimers...

Nigel Osborn
13th Jun 2011, 05:05
Keith is holding his age very well, must be nearly as old as John now!:ok:

John Eacott
13th Jun 2011, 11:52
Keith is holding his age very well, must be nearly as old as John now!:ok:

Pot/kettle?

;)

Big Beres
14th Jun 2011, 02:46
Thats Special Constable Keith Stewart cause he's a special kind of guy :ok::D

Flying Lawyer
4th Jan 2014, 00:31
That's Special Constable Keith Stewart cause he's a special kind of guyI'll second that! :)
I had the privilege of flying with Keith when I visited the NSW Police Airwing in November.

Honourable Company of Air Pilots
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/101313442.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/103353075.jpg

Tudor Owen

Honourable Company of Air Pilots

Judge Tudor Owen

rickyknee
7th Jan 2014, 04:56
And I guess this will be the new POL5 (in late 2014)?

Hawker Pacific Sells First Bell 412EPI Into Australia (http://www.hawkerpacific.com/hawker-pacific-sells-first-bell-412epi-into-australia)

Brucedicko
14th Mar 2014, 13:01
Silly really only having one 412 in the shed. What happens when it's off line?
I heard the BK will go soon. Probably should have gone for 2 good second hand 412s as opposed to spending so much on one machine.
I would have thought that an organization such as the Police would account for the redundancy factor.:ugh:
Despite the disappointment with the 135 endurance and weight limitations, the people calling the shots there would like to replace the whole fleet with 135's. There goes their multirole capability.
For the distances those guys travel and for the work they do, they need something with legs. You can't beat those A-Stars for a workhorse!
You can tell the guys using the gear are not on the same wavelength as the guys making the decisions and spending the money. :rolleyes: