PDA

View Full Version : David Clark ANR Add On

Steve888
8th Jun 2010, 11:08
I've been looking at getting an ANR headset and was recommended the Heatsets Inc. ANR add on for my current DC H10 13.4 set which is still going strong (Headsets Incorporated - Active noise reduction for aviation (http://www.headsetsinc.com/)). From what I've seen, this is as good or better than the $1000 Bose or Lightspeed sets for about $150.

Has anyone had experience with this kit? I'm aware putting this on my current DC's would void the warranty, but I'm just about at the warranty period anyway and have had no issues so far.

Also, for people that have used it, is it relatively easy to install yourself (I do have some electronics experience) or pay a bit more for an avionics company to do it?

VH-XXX
8th Jun 2010, 11:20
I upgraded mine about 6 years ago, still going strong.

My only complaint with them is that to fit in all the extra gear you have to remove some of the foam. Problem with that is that when the battery is flat they essentially become unusable as without the full DC foam and noise cancelling they are quite noisy.

From memory it took around 30-45 mins including working with soldering iron.

Certainly worth while if you can get the kit at a decent price.

thunderbird five
8th Jun 2010, 11:33
Easy to do Steve, I have it in Altronics. Though I recall the instructions left a bit to be desired, (wires???) but I worked it out. Works great. Flat battery no problem, reverts to as it was. I'd probably buy from Wicks USA if they have it.

Car RAMROD
8th Jun 2010, 13:42
Had it fitted.
Failed.
Repaired.
Failed.
Buggered them off and they are sitting aside gathering dust.

Not exactly sure what has gone wrong with them, but I cannot hear anything- transmits fine but nothing coming from the headphones.

Buy a Lightspeed or Bose- dedicated ANR and far superior passive noise reduction (for if you forget to charge the batteries!), lighter weight, and not to mention their battery life. The 9v in the DC kit wont last 8 hours.

They make a good difference to noise levels. Just that mine has let me down twice now with no real indication why, and I'm over spending money on something that hasn't proven to be reliable.

maverick22
8th Jun 2010, 14:11
I once had a pair of DC 13.4's with the aftermarket ANR kit installed. Bought them cheap as one of the channels was not working, so I fixed them myself and they worked superbly (until some b@stard stole them). From memory they did chew through the batteries (or battery rather, 9v) and after a long day they still felt like your head had been clamped in a vice. This is where a pair of bose/zulus may be more appealing

VH-XXX
8th Jun 2010, 22:34
I use duracell 9v in mine bought bulk cheap in Coles, last minimum 30 hours. In the end they are still David Clamps as Mav says.

If they fail, easy to repair, it's a simple set up.

If you can get for a couple if hundred, good value, just don't waste your time using eveready or changhai Charlie batteries.

Old Akro
9th Jun 2010, 01:27
I have converted both Altronic & DC headsets. The DC 10-80 make a particularly nice conversion. You must use gel seals and the DC extra comfort ones are dramatically better. On DC 10-40 headsets you need to buy additional volume potentiometers from someone like Farnell. Its worth paying extra to get the single cord option. Add the DC padded headband and its quite a nice thing.

The DC conversion is significantly better than the Altronic conversion. I think it is because the DC ear cup is thicker plastic which helps block out some of the frequency spectrum where the electronics are weak.

I bought some secondhand DC headsets from ebay to convert, but these days, if you don't already have the headsets, you might be better to buy a set of lightspeed ANR headsets.

The ANR conversion guys in the US (forget the company name) are easy to deal with and the package is delivered quickly. Its quite a bit cheaper than buying them here.

DUXNUTZ
9th Jun 2010, 02:05
Oregon aero.

Oregon Aero Painless and Quieter Aviation Headset Upgrades (page 8). (http://www.oregonaero.com/p66-2001.html)

Pretzal
9th Jun 2010, 11:08
I got my set from Oshkosh in 2001 for my DC 13.4 headset. It has broken twice - both times being the cord from the headset to the battery box. They were pretty crappy cords - kept breaking where the cord terminated into the battery box (one cord lasted 2 weeks!) but now they have re-designed the all in one cord and improved the termination to the battery box, I've had no problems with it since.

I must admit having bought 2 cords before, the last time I bought it, was going to be the LAST time but they seem to have finally got it right. The fancy LED battery box to me seems to chew through the batteries quicker than the old box (I have no statistical data to back this up just my impressions from using them) so I have reverted to the old box. I would get about 4-6 weeks out of the batteries using them full time. My company has now started installing the Boses into the AC and having now used them too I am not unsatisfied with my old DC's. I find the boses better for noise cancellation but more clampy than the trusty old DCs. I agree with the other posters comments re using them without ANC working - very difficult to hear. These are just my observations over 9 years.

Berner
10th Jun 2010, 00:41
I have about 1500 hrs using the Headsets Inc add on. Have had 1 set of speakers fail in that time. Also had trouble with the double sided tape being able to hold all the foam into a set of 13.4's. I've ended up using silicone glue to hold the speakers in and all seems to be working well. Easy to install yourself. Happy to keep using this set compared to cost of a bose or lightspeed etc

TSIO540
10th Jun 2010, 09:51
I've logged about 2300 hrs over 5 years with my ANR add on (DC H10-60).

The only problems have been a broken connector on the cord to the battery box which cost me a 6-pack to have an engineer solder up and the glue is now starting to let go under the strain of the foam - time to re-glue it.

Admittedly the headset is fairly useless when the battery fails but I would not go back to a passive system as when turned on it dramatically cuts down on the sound a metro makes at Full Noise.

I was lucky enough to have a mate in the know solder it up for me. Without some wiring experience I would suggest getting the job done by a pro - you could try negotiating with a carton of beer under your arm..?

I have found that an Eveready Gold 9v lasts me about 6 weeks or so

Hope this helps,

TSIO540

Steve888
10th Jun 2010, 09:59
Thanks all, I reckon I'll go for it. I think they've changed the design slightly in the last few years so perhaps some of the issues you've had have been fixed. However, regardless I think the benefits outweigh any potential issues, especially in the long term.

The Green Goblin
10th Jun 2010, 10:43
IMO with the price of bose headsets now at $1200, buy them and keep the DC's as a spare set if the battery fails :p

Fly-by-Desire
11th Jun 2010, 11:25
You will get about 30-50 hours out of the batterys, 'a bit' of electronic know how is not enough to be able to do it, it is not as simple as made out on here or by the sales person, trust me! :{
Would i do it again? nahhh... id just get some nice new ones, its only a few hundred more, sure they work good, but not worth the stuff around in hindsight. The nosie levels without the ANR on is still pretty good, but as mentioned, is not as good as the originals.

Choose Wisely :ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Jun 2010, 13:18
Fitted mine to a set of 10.60's about seven years ago before factory ANR became as commonplace. Better passive attenuation than Bose/DC-11s (denser foam with ANR kit?). Had a batt box terminal screw up once (exxy little sucker to replace) and yes, they do suck the power down. Tried rechargeable 9V's for a while, but they don't last very long.

(Note: make sure the spare battery you keep in your pocket doesn't accidentally short across your keys or you get a practical demonstration of thermal runaway):ooh::eek:

Not using the ANR much these days though. They seem to drop out halfway through descent every time. (Even px a/c....go figure?)
Looking at some Zulus for the next set.
(Mind you, got over 10 years from the DCs, damn good set)

VH-XXX
11th Jun 2010, 13:20
Anrheadsets . Com . Au has them for $190. Just saw the advert today.

tinpis
1st Sep 2010, 22:42
Cheap set in this mornings NT NEWS fishwrapper flea market. 0414397835

HercFeend
2nd Sep 2010, 00:02
Other thread same topic: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/305263-headset-anr-upgrade.html

DM Electronics (http://secure.dm-electronics.com.au/store/node/4)

They are the Aussie reseller of the Headset Inc ANR Kit - Reviewed (http://www.headsetsinc.com/fly01.pg58-63%20copy.pdf) by FLYER magazine (http://www.flyer.co.uk/) as equalling or surpassing the standards set by market leading ANR headsets like Bose and DC.........

By far and away the most competitive in terms of product offered (Headset Inc) and they don't fleece you on shipping to NZ ether, which is nice!

Speak to Darin McLean.

meloni
26th Sep 2010, 12:05
Hello,

I've just ordered the ANR upgrade kit ( from anr-headsets dot com ) for my DC 10-56, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it.

I have already modified my headset with a M87 mic and a selectable amplifier, since I fly some machines that requires HIGH impedance mic and others that requires LOW impedance mic.

(I fly helos, so any reduction in noise level is very welcome! )

Cheers
Daniele