PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Fitness

tunneler
17th Nov 2000, 16:03
Just booked my class 1 medical - hopefully wont be too much hassle for a 20yr old..(touch wood)

But I was just wondering, do the majority of pilots work out?, and how do they take care of themselves?, the majority I've seen (from 24-60) all seem in pretty good shape, there have been a few exceptions but in the whole most appear fit and healthy...

any comments?

B

redsnail
18th Nov 2000, 01:31
Most of our mob do some form of exercise. No one wants to lose their medical.
I work out in the gym approx 3-4 times a week. :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

VFE
18th Nov 2000, 21:36
I went jogging everyday for the 3 months leading up to my initial Class 1. I was 22 on my first medical.
Fitness is obviously essential for getting a Class 1 but IMHO as long as you're not on Donner Kebabs 'n' Stellas every night then you should be OK. The renewals have lower standards.

Don't worry about the Class 1 - it's quite good fun actually.
Check out the nurse from Devon, eh Barney!

Regards, VFE.

------------------
And up we go!

Air Conditioned
20th Nov 2000, 16:58
Tunneler,

To answer your question, I don't think a "majority" of pilots work out. Some do, but most cope OK through everyday activity.

"Fitness" has to be defined, and if you are referring the qualities achieved by thrashing around in a gym, I don't recall it being measured for a medical. The natural result, low BP, PR, and lung capacity is certainly worth having, short and long term.

If you are asking how to stay "fit" while being a pilot them my philosophy says the only actual requirement is cardio-respiratory capability. One Kenneth Cooper defined this a "Aerobics", a term since hijacked by the industry.

For busy people, the programme needs to be enough to achieve the aim, and no more than that required, so that time is not wasted and excessive fatigue induced. I would suggest a Pulse Rate Monitor, to be used for 35 minutes every second day, carrying out any suitable process that maintains your training Pulse Rate for 35 minutes. It works.

Constable Clipcock
23rd Nov 2000, 14:52
For me, two hours per day minimum are devoted to PT, six days per week (Sunday to Friday).

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays:

These tend to be "calisthenics and sprints" days.

I normally alternate multiple sets of pullups and pushups, typically with a total of 80-100 pullups, 300-400 pushups and 600-800 abdominal exercises (ranging from half-situps and flutterkicks to such nasties as "Twisted Sisters" and "Atomic Sit-Ups") performed in sets (not all in one go!) over an hour's time.

Sprints typically follow this pattern: Sprint 30 seconds, slow-run 30 seconds (8 times) Sprint 60 seconds, slow-run 60 seconds (10 times) sprint 15 seconds, slow-run 15 seconds (8 times)
The sprint workout requires 30 minutes to complete; I typically cover just over 4 miles in the process. I use running as an example, however I often substitute a session on a Nordic ski-track machine using the same time-intensity parameters.

Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays:

These are my "distance days", normally consisting of a three mile run to the reservoir, a four-mile swim (with fins, sidestroke and breaststroke only), followed by a three-mile run back home.

tunneler
23rd Nov 2000, 17:41
jesus h christ!

you sure you aint training for the olympics? :)

Barney
23rd Nov 2000, 20:28
I don't think he's training for the Olympics.......all this is done to get over the 18 pints, dodgy kebab, and even dodgier bird from friday night (hence no work-out on sat!)

VFE........ah yes, Devon, must go there someday!

[This message has been edited by Barney (edited 23 November 2000).]

Buffy Summers
24th Nov 2000, 03:18
Constable, I fear you are a little obsessed. Chill out!
The general recommendation is 20 mins a day, 3 times a week. Walking, running, cycling, whatever. I do virtually no exercise, certainly nothing other than living my life, which obviously includes some walking, that sort of thing. Never had a problem with a medical.
I would suggest that as long as your weight is fairly healthy and you are not a total couch potato then you'll be fine.
Many pilots eat total rubbish too.
Having said all that, I think exercise is good for you, and I have decided it is time to try a healthier life, because I am at that age where I am thinking that in 10 years time I may regret NOT starting an exercise program now.
Recommended is www.bodyforlife.com (http://www.bodyforlife.com) which has some interesting before and after photos.
They have a 12 week course where you get to eat 6 times a day (hoorah!) and eat as much rubbish as you like 1 day a week. The exercise is 20 mins of walking/running/cycling/aerobic exercise based on interval training, 3 times a week and resistance training 3 times a week for 45 mins.
Thats all you need. Apparently during trials they found that this is the optimum and doing any longer that this is probably going to over exert your body causing it to go into survival mode and slow down, which is the opposite of what you want.
Take note Constable.

Constable Clipcock
24th Nov 2000, 03:31
18 pints is about what I allow myself over the entire week. Believe it or not, modest amounts of beer are actually nutritious! Of course, amounts like that all in one go are a different matter <G>.

The 'fitness-freak' mindset stmes from being a 'twice-over' reservist: I'm an NCO with one of the Army National Guard's Long-Range Surveillance Units (LRSUs) — which demand a far higher level of fitness than the norm — as well as a reserve deputy for a rural Sheriff's Office (still competing for the next full-time position that becomes available).

BTW, Barney.... Very humorous suggestion re: why no PT after sundown Friday. Actually due to religious reasons.

(Edited to insert the following reply to Buffy Summers' post.)

I'll agree with you insofar that my own program is not realistic for the majority. Most people are simply unwilling to put in the time and effort required on a consistent basis.

BTW, I'm 6'1½", weigh 168#, have about 4% body fat, and still wear all the same clothing sizes that I did back in high school. WRT my age, I'll be 37 in a couple of months.

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 23 November 2000).]

Delta Wun-Wun
24th Nov 2000, 19:29
"Phew"..."cough"..."splutter"....That was some workout!...Scrolling down the page reading the amount of exercise has brought me out in a sweat.....Seriously though...I need some ideas on exercise.....about three times a week would be enough...any ideas?
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Bird Strike
24th Nov 2000, 19:58
I don't fly professionally, but as a holder of Class 1, I shall comment as follows:-

Exercise: Around 30 minutes walk every day when it's not raining. Occasional swimming when it's sunny and hot. I think I should take more exercise.

Diet: I eat heathly, not much dairy, fat, sugar or sodium. A lot of fresh vegetables and fruits and seafood. Also, no eating less than 5 or 6 hours before going to bed as a rule.

In terms of the fitness level required, I must say initial Class 1 was totally undemanding. I am in no way a fit person and I passed it, so I don't think there's much to be concerned about for the purposed of obtaining Class 1.

The real challenge is developing strong stomach so that you can tolerate the airline meals. :)

ChampagneSupernova
25th Nov 2000, 03:06
Constable Clipcock,

If you are not on the wind-up, then fair play!!!!!!!!
Wish I could manage that lot!!!

VFE
25th Nov 2000, 03:27
My exercise routine is as follows:

Evening jog (about 2 miles) to the "gym" where I work out by participating in several "sports" including arm exercises with a pint glass and then breathing exercises using 20 B and H.
Then I move on to more serious games er.. sorry, "sports" including darts and pool, still continuing with the arm excercises that I seem to find get easier as the work out progresses.
The workout usually lasts about 5 hours (beat that Capt Cliplock!) during which time I work so hard that even my eyesight becomes impaired.
Finally I finish off with a healthy sing-along with all the other athletes as we head off for a slap up Indian meal to reward ourselves for being such good little boys.

Looking forward to the Class 1 renewal........

------------------
And up we go!

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 24 November 2000).]

Specaircrew
28th Nov 2000, 02:16
Been flying for 28 years, don't ever go to the Gym (full of poofs in lycra) or work out, drink beer and eat curry, weight still in proportion to height and no sign of failing a medical yet! I do however cycle 3 miles to work........but only so I can get pissed after flying, yes you guessed it I'm a military pilot!