PDA

View Full Version : ATP certification on a university. Is it worth it?

Joseph Villarini
7th Jun 2010, 21:18
Hey, thanks for reading!
Anyway, soon I'll start walking down the road to become the Commercial pilot I've always wanted to be and I'm a bit confused about some things. For example, I was considering going to Embry-Riddle University (which I really don't have the money to pay) to get my certifications and licenses for me to be a certified ATP, but after talking to some pilots they said it wasn't such a good idea. They told me that in the real life when you get your pilot's license, it won't matter what you did to get it, what will matter is what experience you have beneath it. So they told me that it's best to graduate high school and to go to a private aviation school for my certifications and what-not, and at the same time go to a university and bachellors in something related to my future career... He then suggested, that to make my journey of reaching my 1500 hours of flight time simpler, that I get a CFI certificate as soon as I get my multi engine and get a part time job teaching as a multi-engine CFI. He explained that while Im working as a CFI I'll be simultaneously increasing my flight time.

So now, Im confused... Should I go to a private flying school, get my certifications and at the same time study on a university for a bachelors on something aviation related?