PDA

View Full Version : Role Models

SASless
7th Jun 2010, 20:42
Every now and then you meet someone who you hold in high esteem and try to imitate. A friend of the family is such a Man. I always saw in him what I should strive to be....and always fell short.

He is American, joined the RCAF before Pearl Harbor, and wound up flying Lancasters over Germany and unlike so many of his kind, survived unharmed. To add to this is the fact he neither smoked or drank and remained true to his young Bride back in the USA.

He is well into his Eighties now and still quite the Gentleman despite having lost his one true love a few years back.

He has a book in print now....quite a good read and done in simple language so representative of the way he has lived his life. I recommend the book to any who are interested in tales of those days.

He did twenty missions over Germany with 428 Squadron based at Middleton-St. George (Teeside) where I flew in the late 70's with Bristow.

The book is titled "That's the Way It Was!" by Arthur Lee "Bill" Googe, Jr.

The publisher is Whitline Ink-Incorporated.

I am having the old fellow out for lunch tomorrow and will be introducing him to a local news columnist who does "Human Interest" stories for the local rag.

SASless
3rd May 2013, 12:33
Arthur Lee "Bill" Googe, Jr., who flew 30 missions over Germany with 428 Squadron RCAF, passed away last week at the age of 94.

He was the best Man I have ever known....in every regard. He was one of those quiet brave Men who never bragged of his exploits of which he was justly proud of having done. His sense of humour never failed him....right to the end he found a way to bring a Smile and Laugh.

At his Memorial Service.....photos of his Lanc in flight were prominently displayed although way too many failed to grasp the import of what the photos implied.

He was an American who went north to fly with the Canadian Air Force in Great Britain....before his own country entered the War.

Evalu8ter
3rd May 2013, 16:03
SASLess,
Another of the 'golden generation' passes. I wonder if we'll ever see their like again? However, let's also hope that the cause and struggle that decimated them is also a thing of the past...

There is still a calling for those who serve, but I seriously doubt that a whole generation could stand up and be counted quite so convincingly again.

Godspeed.

NutLoose
3rd May 2013, 17:39
RIP Sir, at least you will be reunited with your sweetheart.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
3rd May 2013, 18:27
My condolences, SASless.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

RIP

Duncs:ok: