PDA

View Full Version : Crowd-surfing underslung truck - 1985

farsouth
7th Jun 2010, 15:06
According to a newspaper article I read this weekend, at the 1985 Monsters of Rock concert at Donington Park, during Marillion’s performance, a helicopter “crowd-surfed” ZZ Top’s Eliminator Ford truck, underslung, over the audience at low-level.
A quick look on the internet seems to confirm this did happen, but I cannot find any pictures or video – the accounts seem to imply it was pretty low and right over the crowd.
Were the rules less restrictive in those days or was it an over-enthusiastic pilot??
Can anyone elaborate on the story (what aircraft type, how low....)??

Grand Ops
8th Jun 2010, 13:44
I recall that i was 13 years old, and it was a heli with "marlboro" plastered on the side..so i guess it was a sponsors heli.
It was right in the middle of Marillions "VERY" boring set...which most people were having a snooze too...or was that the beer.
My memory doesnt serve me that well, but seem to think that it was a Bell 206.........don't quote me on that though.
Am guesing that the ANO's fabulous rule 5 and its many paragraphs would now put paid to that ever happening again............and yes, it was quite low..........somewhat lower than 500ft, and over the crowd line and stage area.......Happy Days.!

I recall they did it also in 1983 at a similar gig.........but i was too young to recall that in detail.!

:ok:

Talkingcorpse
8th Jun 2010, 17:59
I wounder at what stage of the camping/drunkenness this weekend at Donnington I will have to tell this to my friends, more heli stories to bore them with :)