PDA

View Full Version : Career roadmap to Asia? Any advice?

paradoxbox
7th Jun 2010, 03:10
Long time reader, first time poster.

I want to start my training in earnest some time this year or next year.

I am going to be almost totally self funded (Work then blow each paycheck on lessons) so I guess it will take a while. I am lucky in that I can stay at my grandparents' house free of rent while I'm training so I will be able to put away a good chunk of money towards flying.

I want to eventually be based in Asia. I speak Japanese and have been living in Japan for the last 2 years (Still live in Tokyo), I would like to live here permanently or at least be able to commute from here (I.e. KAL or something).

Does anyone have any kind of advice for me on what I should do? Specifically, what kind of training path would you recommend for someone like me who wants to live and work in Asia?

My bg info:
Education: No degree. Guessing I'm gonna need one?
Current licenses: None. I've got around 5 or 10 hours from when I started flying back in 1998 or so.
Languages: English, French, Japanese, could learn Korean easily enough

flyhelico
7th Jun 2010, 08:50
apply directly with airlines there.
they will pay you for everything until you'r 65.

don't waste your own money.

thousand of pilots looking for job already.

(please, don't call us anymore, just send your CV, if you don't hear anything from us, reapply every 6 months until you die!)

redsnail
7th Jun 2010, 12:16
I have no idea about the training industry in Japan.
I suspect most folks either learn to fly in the US or Australia.

A degree is not required to fly an aircraft. Note, the majors in the US usually expect you to have a degree.
If you're after a sponsorship, then many applicants already have one.
So, if you're not planning on going for a sponsorship, then you don't need one.

I would investigate local sponsorships if you can. See what they want and if there are any going on.

I only know the normal expat path. Most learn in their respective countries, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the US to name a few. They work their way up through the GA or instructing scene, charter and then regional airlines. Most asian airlines expect you to have quite a few hours.

The alternative is the military path.

Transsonic2000
7th Jun 2010, 13:43
One major aspect you have to consider is your nationality! As a low time pilot (after finishing your flight training) without any commercial experience on "heavier equipment" your job search is pretty much limited to the job-market of your home country. If foreign carriers hire expat pilots (in general they give preference to their own citizens/newbie pilots) they require substantial experience (several thousand hours) on heavy equipment, like Airbus or Boeing.

paradoxbox
8th Jun 2010, 03:20
thanks for the interesting comments so far.

does anyone know if a multi-ifr is worth going after? or would a regular ifr be enough? any benefits to doing it?

i am considering getting a float rating since i am from canada and there are so many float and ski planes there. a lot of outfits are flying twin otters but does a multi ifr mean anything to twin otter outfits?