PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about PA44(seminole) instruments

JackAi
7th Jun 2010, 01:51
I come from China,and I flied PA44 for 3 hours,there are a lot of problems to be solved:bored:
1、what is the function the instrument which is located at the right side of the instrument panel,and it has "gyro suction,source" on it?Hope somebody give me a detail briefing.
2、The two red lights of the warning lights system,"LO BUS" and "HTR OVER TEMP",what are they?If they are lighted,what happened?
3、There are two switches located at the left side of the panel,what are they?
hopefully someone help me,thanks.

Checkboard
7th Jun 2010, 11:58
1. The gyroscopes in the gyro instruments are not electric, but are spun up by air being blown over paddles moulded in the sides of gyro. This air is provided by a suction pump - and the gauge tells you that pump is working properly (and you can thus trust your gyro instruments.)

2. The HTR OVER TEMP light tells you that the cabin heater is over temping. LO BUS I would assume is a bus under voltage.

3. Need a bit more of a hint!!

Neupielot
7th Jun 2010, 12:54
3. Need a bit more of a hint!!

rofl. had a lousy day but this one crack me up.

captjns
7th Jun 2010, 13:01
JackAi... why not just purchase the Aircraft Manual, or better yet... ask your instructor for a complete cockpit familiarization.

JackAi
8th Jun 2010, 12:51
Thanks for the reply.
I have my flight training at CAFUC,and my PA44 instructor is totally freshman on this airplane:\,does not familiar with PA44...
I have POH,but I didn't find the answer..

1、I got it,loud and clear.
2、If the HTR OVER TEMP light is a cabin heater over temp indicator,why the color of it is red,I think red means the most important..Is cabin heater more important than VAC(it is yellow)
3、These two switches,I can switch them to left or right,the left of the upper one is SLV,the right is FREE;the lower one is CCW and CW

bigduke6
8th Jun 2010, 16:29
my best GUESS.......

SLV=SLaVe (slave), FREE means what it say, "FREE"

CW= ClockWise, CCW=Counter-ClockWise

So for a gyro instrument of some type, probably a RMI or HSI?????

Do you want it (whatever instrument it is linked to) to show the same heading as the heading indicator, if so, then "slave" position. For independent operation, the "free" position.

To align the instrument (in FREE mode?) to the heading that you want, use the CW or CCW switch to rotate.

Janitrol gas/fuel powered heater shows red if overheat, can only be reset on the ground. Not really that important, but why did it overheat.......

Yellow may just show low suction pressure, so gyro may still work, but not optimum?

JackAi
9th Jun 2010, 00:24
:DThank you for the brief about those two switches,I got it.
Still have some problem about the warning light system,I'm gonna check it by reading books.

ImbracableCrunk
9th Jun 2010, 01:17
Bigduke's info on the Janitrol is the same as I remembered.

On the suction gauge, I think the red "bullets" disappear from view when the vacuum pump for the respective engine is working. No red = good.