PDA

View Full Version : RAF medical, will they let you?

Eagle 1
13th Feb 2001, 00:23
If, for instance, you passed all of the RAF aptitude tests and what not, but just failed the eye sight or somthing, and then if you asked them could you be streamed for multi or RW instead of fast jet, would they alloe it or not? would a PPL help?
thanx
Eagle 1

Golf-Kilo Victor
13th Feb 2001, 23:41
Eagle, i asked a pretty similar question. Check out below, called RAF medicals. This may help your question

G-KV

rob_frost
15th Feb 2001, 21:35
Yeah, but that doesn't answer the question of eyesight. If everything else is good, will they allow for slightly poor eyesight, and stream you accordingly?

Thanks

Rob

Pro Spin
16th Feb 2001, 16:54
Hi there,

When initially applying for Pilot with the RAF, you must 'fit' into ALL of their aircraft. This includes all medical standards such as anthropometics and eyesight - They will not let you in if your eyesight is below Eurofighter standard, or if you are too tall for their smallest cockpit.

Its a harsh system; a lot of my friends were caught out on the medicals, even though they were excellent UAS pilots and had good aptitude. In fact, I had a cadetship, but my eyesight went below the entry standards while at uni and they wouldn't let me in.

I do know that the Navy are slightly more leanient - their eyesight standard is lower (for the sea harrier) and I think they have been known to be flexible if someone is an exceptional candidate.

Hope this helps

Pro Spin.

[This message has been edited by Pro Spin (edited 16 February 2001).]

rob_frost
16th Feb 2001, 17:40
Thank you for that bit of information. I have heard the army air corp may also be forgiving with regards to eye sight, espicially if you have done some productive service in grounds roles before.

Is this true?

Thanks

Rob

Eagle 1
17th Feb 2001, 00:02
thanks guys, i have just been told that if you enter the RAF doing a ground trade, and then re-aply for pilot 3years later, despite any minor medical problems that forbid you entry previously ,they will let you go for pilot training because you have experience in the RAF before, is this true?

Ham Phisted
17th Feb 2001, 03:11
Eagle 1

It happens but it's not easy. With longer periods of holding, you may find yourself on the wrong end of thirty on arrival at a sqn if you start in a ground branch (trades are for the troops).

HP