PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses - please advise

Gonna
3rd Jan 2001, 19:07
In two weeks I will be touching the yoke for the first time. I understand it's wise to have good sunglasses (UV/darkness/color). Anyone out there that can tell me what to look for, what brands to try and maybe even where to buy them?

Gonna
Student at KLM Flight Academy

[This message has been edited by Gonna (edited 03 January 2001).]

mach78
3rd Jan 2001, 23:49
Do a search under sunglasses, there was a thread fairly recently on it-most approved of Serengeti- which I happen to wear myself.

loz
4th Jan 2001, 03:01
hi gonna;
just a question ; where do you make your flight traning? netherlands? usa?
i'm student at the Sabena Flight Academy.
for me it's in Arizona;sixmonths
is it a JAR FCL licence?
thanks
LOZ

Gonna
4th Jan 2001, 20:31
Ioz,

for me Arizona as well: Tucson from January 11th untill June. We'll do our VFR and IFR mainly there, although exams are in the Netherlands as well as twin.

Where and when will you be in Arizona?

Gonna

loz
5th Jan 2001, 03:25
gonna;
our flight training base is Scottsdale,Arizona
i will arrive there on the 14 or 15th of April till october ; for our final check in Europe (probably Belgium but the place is not known yet)
best of luck,
loz
ps: what kind of plane do u fly there ??

Gonna
5th Jan 2001, 13:45
Piper Warrior for VFR, Beech Bonanza for IFR.

Gonna

Mr Magoo
7th Jan 2001, 01:31
Just to be boring and get back to the thread but neutral grey lenses with 15% transmission of light is best for use whilst flying!

(96% first go JAR ATPL HP&L so belive me - it's the answer they're looking for!)

Magoo

[This message has been edited by Mr Magoo (edited 06 January 2001).]

Gonna
7th Jan 2001, 21:11
Which means you have what brand & type of sunglasses?

Gonna (just got 90% http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif )

Mr Magoo
8th Jan 2001, 02:10
I don't use sunglasses for current GA flying - just a baseball cap and my Iris, (no she's not my Mrs before you all ask!).

loz
9th Jan 2001, 02:41
sorry guys ; but i red in my aptl course (human performance ppsc) that the best glasses colour is green or brown , that filters a non negligeable part of the uv and blue colours ;
cheers
loz

jaundiced
9th Jan 2001, 03:31
If you feel up to the expense, go out and buy a pair of Oakley's. They are just about perfect (optically) and cut out the sunlight without loss of contrast and clarity. You can get the wrap around style that will also take different lenses. A set of Iridium Gold lenses seem to be good all rounders but will cost around £120 in the UK........buy in the States!
Don't worry if people think you're a poser - you won't look back once you've bought a pair.
P.S. I don't work for Oakley!