PDA

View Full Version : Continental MAN - EWR

Espada III
6th Jun 2010, 09:17
Travelling from MAN to Newark in the summer with the children. I know that Continental use 757 aircraft, but are they has basic as they sound or is there any form of entertainment on the flight?

Seems like a long way to fly on a single aisle plane - what is the seat pitch like?

barry lloyd
6th Jun 2010, 10:41
="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Continental_Airlines/Continental_Airlines_Boeing_757-300_New.php"

Book first and ask questions later eh?

My experience (travelling alone) was far from pleasant. Crowded aircraft, grudging service, poor food and the determination of the passenger in front of me (on both sectors) to release the seatback to its fullest extent, thus reducing my personal space even further.
I was on a connecting flight too, and the staff at EWR were less than helpful.
IFE (if it's working) is OK, but I'd take something else to entertain yourself and the kids with if I were you.
Best of luck and remember, yer gets wot yer pays for!:)

sam1993
6th Jun 2010, 10:58
Continental Airlines - Boeing 757-200 (757) (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/752.aspx)

^ From the Continental website. If you click on the TV monitors link at the bottom of the table, you should find all the information you need about entertainment! :ok:

Fernanjet
6th Jun 2010, 11:51
Why do people have the perception that single aisled aircraft have no IFE?

I'd rather travel anywhere by 757 than a lot of widebodied aircraft - a superb piece of engineering!!

kenhughes
6th Jun 2010, 19:46
Prior to settling at the right side of the ash plume, I spent a lot of time criss-crossing the Atlantic from MAN - EWR and back with Continental. I don't have a bad word to say about the airline.

IFE was good, with multiple channels. Food was adequate for airline food, and the crew was always good. You can't blame the airline for the passenger in front of you :), though I didn't have that problem.

I flew Delta once, and they were good too - but The Hartsfield in ATL is a real pig of an airport to get through.

The one airline I would never fly with again is US Airways (MAN to PHL route). Over an hour late leaving, so over an hour late arriving. Multiple connecting flights cancelled, making for a 5 hour layover in PHL. "We don't do Duty Free on the inbound", in response to the question "When will the Duty Free be coming round?" Miserable cabin crew.

PHL is a nice airport though.

Trolley Bus
6th Jun 2010, 20:36
Flew the route back in March and hardly anything to grumble about. Check in was friendly and efficient. 757 is always a good aircraft to fly on and seat pitch was fine. Aircraft was clean, comfortable seats and on time departure. IFE was quick and responsive but content not up to date although headset was free. Cabin crew were polite, experienced and attentive with rounds of water between meals. Snack box offered 90 minutes prior to landing. Informative updates from the flight deck and good views over Newfoundland. EWR was a little grim but would definately fly with Continental again.

barry lloyd
6th Jun 2010, 23:06
You can't blame the airline for the passenger in front of you , though I didn't have that problem.

Was I blaming the airline? I was simply referring to the overall experience. If you didn't/haven't had that problem then you're lucky.

I just feel that 7.5 hours in a 757 is about 4 hours too long. I couldn't give a :mad: about the IFE - I was flying regularly before it was even thought of, so a book is fine for me.

Your experience on Continental certainly differs markedly from mine, and I've flown with them to the Caribbean and South America too, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed the experience, but then I have fond memories of PanAm and Eastern.

shobakker
7th Jun 2010, 18:01
I've done that route with Continental, have to say it was one of the best flights I've been on. Crew were great, IFE was good, seats comfy etc...

Espada III
9th Jun 2010, 15:45
Thanks all. I managed to get the info out myself with a bit of searching. Means the laptop can stay in the bag for the flight.

NWSRG
9th Jun 2010, 20:14
Espada,

You'll be fine...you'll find the CO 757 actually feels quite spacious...certainly having flown across the pond with CO a few times now, I'd say 757 seating in economy with CO is more spacious than economy on a Virgin 747. IFE is modern although the food wouldn't quite be VS standard. Newark I've always found easy to handle too...fairly relaxed!

Enjoy!

Crepello
23rd Jun 2010, 13:20
+1 to the positive comments - CO's MAN run is my usual route for visiting the 'rents. 752 fine for medium haul, crews better than BA/BMI these days, IFE very good, catering fine. Seats provide all the cushioning of granite but no airline's perfect. Allow plenty of time at Manchester on the outbound as there are multiple levels of security and boarding everyone takes an age.

Completely unreasonable of others to complain about seat recline - if you've paid for your seat, you've paid for full recline... :rolleyes:

Diver_Dave
23rd Jun 2010, 16:04
Did this route last year transiting to Cancun,

No major problems, quite happy with the service
out and back, friendly and professional.

No AVOD on way out but they were still in the middle of retrofitting
the 75x (I don't know which type it was :-) )However we did on the
way back.

All in all pleased with them overall, Newark is fairly easy to navigate as
well and was pleasantly uncrowded. TSA and Border sec were also far
more pleasant to deal with than Atlanta.

Only reason we used Delta this time was the changes to
baggage allowances as Cave diving rigs weigh a bit! We're
actually direct Manchester-Cancun with Thomson in October
as they're now the cheapest option as all the US carriers have revised
their baggage pricing (Bah! Humbug!)

Regards

DaveA