PDA

View Full Version : ATPL medicals

lambdafeet
12th Feb 2001, 06:23
Gooday.

A certain Antipodean company requires ATPL holders to renew their Aircrew Medicals every 6 months if age 40 or greater. This is at variance to the state requirement of once every 12 months.

I would like to find out what the rest of the worlds requirements are regarding ATPL medicals, as many responses as possible would help. The info I need is:

State/licencing authority
Number of months between medicals
Any differances between Captains and FO's (time interval wise)

Any changes to the freq of medicals as a function of age.

Regards Lambdafeet

[This message has been edited by lambdafeet (edited 12 February 2001).]

Constable Clipcock
12th Feb 2001, 08:53
USA: First-Class is valid for six months for operations requiring an ATP certificate, one year for operations requiring a Commercial Pilot, Flight Engineer or Flight Navigator certificate. This period is the same for everyone, regardless of age. For operations requiring a Private, Recreational or Student pilot certificate, the renewal interval is every three years if you're under 40, every two years if you're 40 or over.

Commercial Pilot, Flight Engineer and Flight Navigator certificate holders are only required to have a Second-Class medical.

As an aside, an ECG is only required for Class 1 applicants age 35 or over.

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 12 February 2001).]

Thomas coupling
13th Feb 2001, 18:04
UK CAA: >40 you need a class one for public transport flights, every 6 months. During that medical there are requirements for ECG (every other class1), Audio every 3 years, blood tests (every medical).

So your livelihood needs reviewing every 180 days...just a thought for us older buggers!!

http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/redstar.gif

------------------
Thermal runaway.

Luftwaffle
17th Feb 2001, 01:33
Canada:
ATPL holders need a category 1 medical every 12 months before age 40, and every 6 months for age 40 and above. Every second medical (i.e. every two years under 40 and annually thereafter) you need an ECG. Hearing test on initial medical then only 'as required' before age 55. No chest X-ray.

Including the clinic fee for the ECG and the separately billed Transport Canada processing fee the whole thing costs $150 to $200.