PDA

View Full Version : RAF MEDICALS

Golf-Kilo Victor
11th Feb 2001, 23:38
does anyone out there know if i will be acceptable for an raf medical?

I am 6'4", with a CAA class 2 med. apparantly, my eyesght is quite good, but I will need glasses if i want a class 1. also, I have a slight heart murmur (nothing serious!). will this be acceptable for Nimrods or VC10's or summat?

Many Thanks!

GKV

Speedbird 2946
12th Feb 2001, 00:05
G-KV,

It sounds as though you are too tall for Fast Jet Branch.. but you may well get multi, it's up to them. I know that they do let tall candidates in as long as they accept they have been 'pre-streamed' so to speak.

However, I have heard that the RAF is looking for Eurofighter standard eyesight..which is 6/6 or greater, uncorrected. You don't give any info about your prescription so I'd advise you to call your AFCO or Medical Centre at OASC before you launch into the whole process!

GOOD LUCK!!

SB 2946

Ham Phisted
13th Feb 2001, 23:55
Speedbird 2946,

Sorry, mate, but you're talking tosh! Absolute height is not the primary factor. When the anthropometric tests are done you will see that it is the length of, for example, buttock to knee that is crucial. There is currently an RAF wg cdr pilot on the Jaguar force who is at least 6 ft 4 and I wouldn't say he's comfortable but he's flown the jet all his life. If you need the eyesight requirements I have them tucked away somewhere; I have posted them before but if you need them again let me know.

Regards

HP

Speedbird 2946
14th Feb 2001, 03:34
Ham Phisted,

I stand corrected if what you say is true. YES- I know that the measurement from buttock to knee is important (I'd quite like to still have my knees after an ejection) but when I was at RAFC a member of staff told me that there was an absolute height limit and that I was only 2mm under it for aircrew. I am only able to pass on what I was told..so apologies all round as that seems to be false.

SB

Ham Phisted
14th Feb 2001, 05:10
SB,

No problem. I'm over 6' 4" and have flown in the Jaguar, Hawk, JP blah blah blah. It is a bit cosy. There was a wg cdr helo pilot at Waddington who did FJ training in the Gnat (old 5hit) before getting chopped; he was 6'5" and he said that was unpleasant!