PDA

View Full Version : My prescription for CAA eyesight test.

boeinglover
13th Nov 2000, 08:13
Hi Guys, I currently hold a class 3 medical for a Student pilot. I was just wondering if with my condition below could I get a class one from CAA?

R-700-350 x 10
L-550-400 x 170

Help greatly appreciated.

Good Day.

crazypilot
13th Nov 2000, 23:54
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that your current prescription is definately outside the CURRENT requirements. For a Class 1, they ask for an initial prescription of no worse than +/- 5.00D and no more than 2D of astigmatism.

CP

boeinglover
14th Nov 2000, 04:53
Thanks for your reply, I guess I would have to wait longer for them to change the regulations again....

Cheers.

crazypilot
14th Nov 2000, 16:21
I'm waiting aswell (I'm about -5.5D)

loz
17th Nov 2000, 15:46
about that regulations, do u have any news about the JAA confrence to extend the limits to -5D like for the caa class1???
thanks for ur help;
loz

Meeb
17th Nov 2000, 18:17
Loz,the limit is already -5 for both initial issue and renewal.

gliderpilot
17th Nov 2000, 18:53
Another question about eyesight limits for commercial pilots:
the ICAO website states 'new regulations are expected to come into force in November 2001. The new requirements have no dioptre limits, visual acuity shall be 6/6 with or without spectacles or contact lens'. www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/med_vis.htm (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/med_vis.htm)

Does anybody know if this is still true and if so will JAA/CAA class1 medical standards be altered next year?

Apologies if this has been asked many times before - I'm new to this site..

crazypilot
17th Nov 2000, 23:12
Does anybody know how certain it is that the eyesight limits for a Class 1 Medical are going to be dropped, during Nov.2001??

If they do abolish the -5D rule, how likely is it that the airlines will do the same, or will they stick with their even-harsher limits??

Cheers

Meeb
18th Nov 2000, 02:34
Airline limits are not really an issue as only the large airlines have a limit in anycase.

Under human rights law they would be on a sticky wicket for having stricter limits than was 'legally' required anyway, would they not?

loz
18th Nov 2000, 17:03
if the dioprties limits are suppressed,
many national companies will probably impose new limits maybe close to the actual caa limits but u will always find some other companies in ur country wich won't request stricter limits ,they will simply apply the no diopt.limit rule. in this case, even if u don't fly for a bgig national carrier, u will find a job on a jet ; the most important thing is to fly and realise ur dream
nb; i have an other question : are u sure that the -5d limit is in application in the jar fcl regulation?? it isn't only for the caa licence ???
thanks for ur help:
loz

gliderpilot
18th Nov 2000, 18:28
loz - looks like you're right. jar fcl gives initial issue limits as -3/+3.
www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.3.1.b.3.220.htm (http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.3.1.b.3.220.htm)

Guess it depends on whether your home state is more lenient (caa is definitely -5/+3 for inital/renewal).

What is the relationship between ICAO and JAA? If ICAO has recommended dioptre limits be scrapped next year, do jaa regs have to change?

boeinglover
19th Nov 2000, 19:55
Hi Guys,

What actually do the examiners test for when they conduct the eyesight test.

I believe this area is the only problem to our chance for a flightdeck job. Really hope that they will remove the dioptre requirements asap.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 19 November 2000).]

boeinglover
19th Nov 2000, 20:04
Guys, I was wondering what is the rational reasons behind pilots having to have good eyesight???

If the medical division allows applicants with asthma attacks or colourblindness to qualify for class one, I don't see any reasons for people like us only without perfect eyesight but can be corrected with visual aids not to pass the Class one...

I feel a little unfairness here.

Any Comments about this????

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 19 November 2000).]

Dutch-pilot
19th Nov 2000, 21:46
Yo,

the medical division doesn't allow applicants with colourblindness for class 1!

DP

JBravo
19th Nov 2000, 23:44
And some more info:

For the initial test you need +/-3.00.
On your renewal you can have +/-5.00.
At least for JAA that is. So what Meeb has said about the limit doesn't comply with JAA-regulations. What it is with CAA, i'm not sure.
And about the colourblindness, dutch-pilot is correct.

I think the regulations aren't very strict at all. I have -2.75, and I really don't want to think about losing my glasses due to HEAVY turbulence or something (as a matter of speech). I feel like i'm almost blind without it. I could not fly a plane that way. And my eyes are allowed to deteriorate to -5.00?!? I wouldn't want to lose my glasses with that prescription! You never know what madman runs into the cockpit and knocks your glasses off ( or something hypothetical)

rgrds
JBravo

dog
20th Nov 2000, 00:52
test

loz
20th Nov 2000, 01:06
hi guys,
what does the icao is to purpose some recommended pratices (also known as sarps standards and recommanded practises)
when the icao makes standards, all icao members have to apply it strictly;
but for the recommanded practises is not an obligation;so the jaa members are not obligated to follow the icao's philosophy!
so about november 2001; the icao expects changes and new medical requirements about the visual acuity; but it's not sure that jaa members will do it.
do u know if the uk delivers jar fcl licences with the -5D rule???
thanks for help
cheers ;
loz

boeinglover
20th Nov 2000, 07:46
Guys, I have heard that some treatment could improve one's eyesight naturally without going through operation. Is that true ?

what about eating blueberries jam etc etc..would it improve the Visual acuity of a person?

Regards,

Capt Bean
20th Nov 2000, 12:24
Blueberry jam,eh?

Did you also know that the word 'gullible' has been taken out of the dictionary?

GulfStreamV
20th Nov 2000, 16:45
Actually its Bilberry, it aids visual acuity particularly at night. WWII fighter/bomber pilots used to eat a lot of Bilberry Jam, you can buy the Bilberry tablets from your local health shop.

I took them for about 6 months just as an experiment and my vision certainly improved (Not a huge amount! - but it did improve!)

GV

boeinglover
20th Nov 2000, 19:28
Thanks GulfStreamV,

Hope bilberry helps you tremendously.

I would go & find it at the nearest store, try it out & wait for the results...by the way what's the amount did you consume?

Cheers.

crazypilot
20th Nov 2000, 23:43
Gulfstream,
By how much did your eyesight actually improve?? I'm right on the Class 1 limit (-5.25 dioptres) and so any help would obviously be great. I did try bilberry supplements, but they are so expensive!!!

Cheers
CP

boeinglover
21st Nov 2000, 03:50
Guys, I have been adviced by my local Aeromedical examiner not to have a lasik done on for the risk of scarring & damage to the eye if the operation did not go smoothly.
Leave the eyes condition as it is..

Instead I have been told to wait for the limits to be dropped & when that happens
one could apply easily without any fear as long as your eyes are correctable by glasses or contact lenses.

Currently I am using Contacts when flying a light plane & they are extremely useful & I feel I am reborn with perfect eyesight..

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 21 November 2000).]

GulfStreamV
21st Nov 2000, 13:56
Guys,

There is a specific product, on the market which contains Bilberry as its prime ingredient + beta carrotine and all that. I shall take a trek to boots/holland & barrat at lunchtime,because I cannot remember the actual name of the product.

Yes it is bloody expensive - I just took the recommended amount which was 2 tablets a day 1 @ night 1 in the day.

My experiment was obviously not a controlled scientific experiment - I essentially set up an eye chart at the required distance and used this as a guide. I think from memory we are talking about improving 1 line (in dioptres I'm not sure what that is .5? - Also be aware when you have your eyesight test you are in a darkened room with the eye chart brightly lit - this may help or may not I don't know )

GV

boeinglover
21st Nov 2000, 19:29
Hi Guys,

I have just seen the requirement for application for cadet pilot for Singapore Airlines. They have stated applicants require 6/24 without Optical Aids correctable to 6/6.

What they mean by that?

Regards,

wishtobeapilot
1st Dec 2000, 10:25
6/24 vision means that you require 6 feet to see things that a person with normal vision can see at 24 feet. The following is extracted from a yahoo search on vision acuity:

"Visual acuity is expressed as a fraction. The top number refers to the distance you stand from the chart. This is usually 20 feet. The bottom number indicates the distance at which a person with normal eyesight could correctly read the line with the smallest letters. Normal vision is considered 20/20. If your vision is 20/40, the line you correctly read at 20 feet could be read by a person with normal vision at 40 feet."

Hope this helps out. I am considering a cadet pilot program in HK too. However, I am also waiting to see if I cold get past the vision requirements as I have -6D.

boeinglover
2nd Dec 2000, 06:12
Hi Wishtobeapilot,

Thanks for your reply and sincerely hope that you can join CX for their Cadet scheme in the near future. As for me I am hoping to join SQ in my late twenties. That's one of their criteria in terms of health.

Regards,