PDA

View Full Version : Hercules wheels up landing

earwigger
5th Jun 2010, 09:37
Anyone know anything about a Hercules landing wheels up at Brize recently?

Sepp
5th Jun 2010, 09:38
As always, Google is your friend:

BBC News - Hercules makes emergency landing at RAF Brize Norton (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8668092.stm)

or if you prefer

RAF investigates Hercules wheels-up landing (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/05/07/341709/raf-investigates-hercules-wheels-up-landing.html)

:)

VinRouge
5th Jun 2010, 12:48
Scumbag journo alert! :ooh:

chinook240
5th Jun 2010, 12:50
Hasn't this already been covered here http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/414368-latest-future-brize-hiccups-2.html

Motleycallsign
5th Jun 2010, 13:25
The crew probably do.

Lala Steady
5th Jun 2010, 15:56
Is this the 'crew forget to reset CB' incident?

cornish-stormrider
5th Jun 2010, 16:39
I would call beadwindow but I've been doing this a lot recently.

In answer to your question sir, yes we do know lots about it. some more than others. You will understand therefore if we are more than a little suspicious of a naff all post count newbie...........

We suspect all of you at being lying scumbag journo's until you prove either you are not or are actually a truthful honest journo with creedence, skills, a desire to get things right and want to stay on the right side of the military community.

You will either need more posts, contacts or some custard proof before I tell you the inside scoop.

And even then, I could be making it up - so.......

Best thing to do is wait for the outcome of the BOI:E

davejb
5th Jun 2010, 17:13
The sun was just over his left shoulder, sinking into the haze over the curiously washed out green of the flat lands quilted with farmers' fields so typical of this corner of the land.
Below, a C130K was about to turn finals, the crew relaxing after a training flight, their minds already turning unconsciously to thoughts of hearth and home - the young copilot on a promise, the captain resigned to a drive home in his aging Volvo to a wife who had become suspicious of the 'one more NDB hold' excuse - no pigs bar for him tonight. The engineer scanned his panel for the 70th time in the yet young hour, while the loadmaster eased his bulk forward and forlornly checked the white cardboard box for a previously unseen choclate bar.

'Not today', thought Adolf, tightening his straps and checking his mirror one last time, as he rolled his Messerschmidt BF109G inverted and began the lazy yet lightning paced descent...

He rolled out at five O clock, slightly high, still gaining at a tremendous rate - by reflex alone the aircraft was steadied, pointing ahead of the wing root, as he closed to 300 metres he began to fire whilst pulling lead and keeping the nose high to bleed off a little speed and allow for the sluggish cannon shells' drop... the loadie, in disgust at the lack of chocolate, hardly noticed the cannon shell clipping the hydraulic tube as the captain, unknowingly, turned onto runway heading and accidentally evaded the remaining shells from the burst.

Adolf rolled out slightly above the C130, cursing fate whilst turning back to his base in northern France, undeterred by his Alzheimer induced loss of the preceding 70 years of history, supported by the momentary fragment of memory of the lottery win that had allowed him to keep his beloved Gustav in fully working order.

'Crap, the wheels won't come down!' Said the captain....the rest being reported in the Daily Mail.

Did somebody mention a journo? How much for another 1000 words then?

Tourist
5th Jun 2010, 17:27
Literary genius.
encore!

Trim Stab
5th Jun 2010, 17:38
Scumbag journo alert! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif

Why the "scumbag" epithet?

Even if he is a journo, he is just doing his job. If it wasn't for journalists, MPs would still be troughing it.

Likewise, if the RAF crash a publicly owned aircraft because the crew forgot to put the gear down, then the public have every right to know about it.

FJJP
5th Jun 2010, 17:59
Er... I thought you couldn't do a wheels-up in a Herc. Can't you crank the wheels down manually? [Never flown the Herc, only in one!]

VinRouge
5th Jun 2010, 18:41
TS,

If he was a decent journalist and not a gutter dwelling gossip hunter, then he wouldnt be sourcing material off an anonymous internet forum.

I am guessing Daily Mail.

tw@'s

Two's in
5th Jun 2010, 18:53
Well done to Sepp and Chinook240 for referring the inquiry to other sources. Gratifying to see ackowledgement of the forum spirit...

A forum for the professionals

...and some sense of decorum around new posters.

Not Long Here
5th Jun 2010, 19:21
Dave,

A masterpiece - well done for uncovering the facts. The Truth is out There :}

Stu

Trim Stab
5th Jun 2010, 20:14
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/icons/icon15.gif
Er... I thought you couldn't do a wheels-up in a Herc.

You can if you are really determined and obstinate, and adapt a "can do" attitude.

davejb
5th Jun 2010, 20:57
The real problem with managing a wheels up in a Herc is, presumably, the fairly small difference between wheels up/wheels down anyway?

Notwithstanding that, I reckon I could alter as required to suit most Sunday sheets...

ie The Mirror and similar
'Kraut Loony shoots up our boys'
(For the more Sun oriented I could add an 'oo-err' on the end of that')
For the left wing rags it'd be
'Nonagenerian Adolf, shamefully denied his Alzheimer's medication by today's balance sheet obsessed suits'
For the Mail perhaps
'The previous gevernment's laxity having led to this pernicious state of affairs...'
I mean, let's face it, whatever spin is required can be provided, as long as the price is right, yeah?
I'll stay by the phone tonight, just in case any late orders come in....

Dengue_Dude
5th Jun 2010, 21:07
This is getting tedious.

There is a reference above that points to the previous post on the matter - so why not go there and read it?

Simples

fergineer
5th Jun 2010, 21:30
Dave now I remember how you usedto make I larf on them long sorties.....good on you mate. Carry on like this and you will be competing with Beagles Baron. Dengue you flying again mate ?

TBM-Legend
5th Jun 2010, 21:41
....so what's that scraping noise Blogs? [as he used full power to taxy back to the lines>>>>>]:hmm:

herkman
5th Jun 2010, 22:57
There is a situation on a C130 where the gear cannot be lowered, prior to the incident at Darwin with a L100 it was considered fool proof.

The actual belly landing took place at Darwin some years ago when no amount of trying could get the gear down.

It was a technical problem caused by wear on part of the landing gear equipment and so I doubt if that would occur with a military airplane where servicing could be a bit more in depth. LM have put out a new TO which should close that door.

The airplane was repaired very quickly, a matter of some days so maybe the RAF may fair as well.

Regards

Col

Laird 'o' Balmullo
6th Jun 2010, 01:30
Sans engineering issues, there surely were eye balls in the tower?
The phrase "gear appears up, go round" springs to mind.

Old Fella
6th Jun 2010, 01:59
From what I have read this was a clear case of landing WITHOUT having selected the Gear down. The tower controller has only two eyes, the two pilots & F/E have six between them, plus six ears.

Royalistflyer
6th Jun 2010, 05:54
The Thai Air Force had a C130 wheels up in 2002 - don't know the details though.