PDA

View Full Version : economy class syndrome on the flight deck

Bruno
10th Nov 2000, 21:25
I know Capt Pprune, this stuff is for the health forum, but more people visit this one.

For a couple of years now, I've been using special socks designed by 2 angiologists, one of them a down hill ski gold medalist at Alberville.
Unlike the one you buy in pharmacies, these apply the pressure in a gradual way from the foot to just below the knee where all the blood is.
It keeps you from having swelling feet after hours in cruise and you are in much better shape after the flight.
They now have a web site where you can order them; Downside, it's in french but I'm sure you'll manage.
Nope ! I'm not a shareholder, but i think it'll benefit to a lot of you.
http://www.bvsport.com

Mac the Knife
11th Nov 2000, 00:27
Bruno - interesting, but why not post on Medical and Health where some of us have a good current thread running on E.C.S., DVTs, etc?

So called graduated pressure stocking have been around for quite a while. They are expensive, but work well for swelling IF correctly fitted and worn. Hard evidence that they prevent DVTs is a bit scarce however (as it is for the existence of "economy class syndrome") generally.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Nov 2000, 00:52
Bruno. If you knew it should go here why put it in R&N because YOU want to.

Don't waste our time by moving threads just use consideration - or I might be tempted to delete any future threads.

PPRuNe Pop
[email protected]

Bruno
11th Nov 2000, 13:42
Well Jack, I just figured it might interest a large number of people on rumour and news.

I know the Paris Airport Authority reports around a hundred of cases of stroke amoung pasengers coming from super long haul flights.
Although pilots are a lot freer to move about than pax, I really wonder how exposed we are.
One thing I've realized though by wearing those socks is that I'm a lot less tired than I used to. No more pain in my legs which would prove the blood is flowing better ?

Mac the Knife
11th Nov 2000, 17:28
Bruno

"I know the Paris Airport Authority reports around a hundred of cases of stroke amoung pasengers coming from super long haul flights."

Thought this was about the flight deck but nevermind.

100 out of how many pax and over how many years was the data gathered?

How many had had previous strokes?

How many had strokes onboard and how many after - how long after arrival?

Please give us a definitive source or URL for your data - it is important that we know whether this is accurate or just unsubstantiated scuttlebutt.

Glad your legs are better :)

skyvan
11th Nov 2000, 21:19
When I went for my first medical renewal after starting to fly longhaul, the doc recommended to me at least 500ml of water each hour on duty.
Apart from all the good reasons normally given, after the second hour, I'd have to get up for a loo break at least every 45 minutes, forcing me to walk and stretch the legs a bit (even if only to the loos behind the cockpit).

Once you break the seal.... ;)

Bruno
12th Nov 2000, 15:29
Jack

Maybe not being Anglo-saxon makes it a bit more difficult for me to get my point accross.
It IS about flight deck and not knowing chicken s...t about the whole thing and at the same time interested about my health, I wonder, given the fact that cases are reported each year about pax, how affected we may be.
The info I gave you about the ADP report comes from a newspaper article in Le Figaro if I recall correctly, following the death of a pax in Paris.
I think the best source would be the ADP medical department I guess.

[This message has been edited by Bruno (edited 12 November 2000).]