PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

Aeroneer
10th Nov 2000, 19:12
Hi everyone !

I know the CAA have recently reduced the eyesight requirements to -5D (if short sighted). I am currently -5.25D. If I were to have corrective surgery could I pass a Class 1 medical ?
I heard that if your eyesight is worse than
-5D before surgery then even after surgery you still wouldn't be able to pass a Class 1 examination.
Is this true ?
Thanks for your help
Steve

Dutch-pilot
11th Nov 2000, 23:02
Unfortunately, that is true.

Greetz

Mr Magoo
12th Nov 2000, 22:01
You can get within -5 dioptres within DAYS!.
Check out the vision improvement sites, (Bates method sites).

If you currently put on glasses the moment you wake up and take them off just before you go to bed then step one is to leave them off whenever possible.

Get a pair of +2 reading glasses for a few quid and wear them over your normal specs when doing stuff like watching TV or working at the computer etc.

I went from worse than -5 to passing a JAR Class one medical at -3 in under 3 months!!

It can be done, and now much more easily because the CAA have moved the goalposts so much closer!!

Cheers

Magoo

AMS
13th Nov 2000, 15:21
Hi Mr Magoo,

I have astigmatism, and the optician said it can go either way. Currently its at -2.00 can I lower this I do not always wear glasses, only when I am driving or, on the PC or reading.

Please advise

I sent the prescription to the CAA Optician who soid OK for Class 1 but, I would like to reduce it any way.

Any advice

Thanks

AMS

crazypilot
13th Nov 2000, 23:49
Mr. Magoo
Could you contact me? It's regarding my vision (and possible improvement)

Cheers

I'm at: [email protected]

wishtobeapilot
1st Dec 2000, 10:36
Mr. Magoo,
I'm at -6D and would like to apply for cadet pilot program for CX. Read your vision improvement and will try it. Please contact me if you have any other suggestions on improving vision. Thanks.

GuinnessQueen
1st Dec 2000, 18:24
Mr Magoo,

As you seem to be the eyesight Agony Aunt please inspire me!!! I'm currently just the right side -5 diop, and have an Initial class 1 booked for early Jan. Firstly, is the limit for an INITIAL class 1 -3 or -5? And secondly, I've been attending bates therapy for 2 months now, doing all the palming and sunning etc, but my progress is about as slow as the American election!

Any advice would be appreciated http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

I can be e-mailed at; [email protected]

Cheers GQ.

boeinglover
1st Dec 2000, 19:10
Dear Mr Magoo,

If I constantly need Contact Lenses to correct my vision, pls elaborate more on your recommended ways to improve my vision.

Pls contact me at [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Have a nice Day.

Lewis
1st Dec 2000, 19:48
Mr. Magoo:

I have tried the Bates method but it doesn't work. It's a waste of money.

Mr Magoo
1st Dec 2000, 21:04
Hi gang,

Just checked out the PPRuNe and found lots of your questions - I'm a bit busy over the next few days so if you don't mind I'll get round to individual replys early next week.

As a quick general post though here goes:

1. CAA initial class 1 limits are now +3/-5 but with the caveats mentioned on their site.

2. Renewals are the same as revised initial issue.

3. Beta carotene is the stuff that improves night vision - not smoking will be even more effective and save your life too!.

4. Bates worked for me and it's worked for lots of others too - I found the big key to it was to accept what you see and NOT TO STRAIN TO SEE.

I'm off to revise for the one exam resit I need to do now, (that's why I'm busy!) got 13 first try though so maybe being motivated helps with eyes and exams too!!

Cheers

Magoo

El Cid
2nd Dec 2000, 17:22
Lewis,the Bates Method does not have to cost you a penny.Teachers are fine but ultimately its what YOU do that counts,you need to relax,not test your eyes constantly dont wear your glasses unless you are doing something that legally requires you to,accpet the incoming vision for what it is,if you cant see something,dont try too.
Dont treat Bates as a chore or a method,you need to adopt it into your lifestyle as it is a state of mind rather than a series of exercises.
It does work.It takes time.

batu
2nd Dec 2000, 21:39
Well, if your are a wannabe pilot....give it a shot.....why not??
!!! See you Batu

PS: Mr magoo how is your training going so far??!!