PDA

View Full Version : colour blindness

Vjeko Jelcic
28th Dec 2000, 10:18
Hey I was wondering whether there are any ways of getting better colour vision.Ive heard thing but not sure exactly what to do since I am slightly Red-Green colour blind and I am depserate to get a Class 1 Medical.

Red or green?!
28th Dec 2000, 20:35
I think I know of one way, but I don't think you'll like it! Since it's caused by a problem in your eyes (see the article by Jeff Baggish on
http://www.leftseat.com/colorvision.htm
it might be possible to solve this problem with eye-transplantation?! As far as I know (I have looked in to it because I have the same problem) there is no other way to get rid of it! But... I did get a FAA 1st class medical, with a limitation (see topic 'daytime jobs' in the Questions-forum), so maybe there's hope for you!!! Have you looked in to the 'Color Blind...' topic yet? Lots of tips and links there, including the one to Jeffs Baggish' article.

Don't give up untill you've tried everything (except the transplant of course)!

Rog?!

[This message has been edited by Red or green?! (edited 28 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Red or green?! (edited 28 December 2000).]

UNLOB
30th Dec 2000, 11:21
Vjeko Jelcic. Have you been found colour blind using the book of dots??
If so have you tried the lantern test.
On your class 1 medical, if you fail the book you will be given the latern test.
This happened to me, I am very slightly colour blind. But I still have a class one medical and ATPL (A) and ATPL (H).

So if you have not tried the lantern test have a go or find a consultant optician who may be able to help you.

Happy New Year.

Captain Numpty
31st Dec 2000, 15:00
The Ishihara plates (colour dotts) is a very subjective test. Weird though this sounds, in the main I have 20/20 vision. However, when reading the plates from 10 inches a way......I can hardly see a bloody thing. From 3 feet away, I can read the lot. I have done the Holmes-Wright Lantern test at LGW and passed......but no one can provide a sensible explanation for the above. Or can they?

Furthermore......the CAA medical divison really go out of their way to help us "defectives"..........NOT!!!

Go to the US where flying is not a luxury....but a necessity and basically forms part of the the US public transport system. It's cheaper and the medicals aspect is so much less expensive. I have just returned with a Class 1, and paid £75.00........approx £325.00 less than the CAA. Now how can one justify the cost of the CAA's medical?

[This message has been edited by Captain Numpty (edited 06 April 2001).]

gbnkr
2nd Jan 2001, 00:31
I failed the plates and holmes wrights tests but still wanna fly for an airline.Are the standards in the states much differnt? I would appreciate some help i have just finished my ppl and would consider a move to America to fly.