PDA

View Full Version : 737 NG Tankering

babemagnet
2nd Jun 2010, 12:33
Does anybody know if boeing approved turning off the center tank fuel pumps before the center tank is empty?

This is to get some fuel out off the wing tanks to avoid Non enviromental icing after landing.

I have heard some opperators have approval for this.

Todders
2nd Jun 2010, 12:42
As far as I'm aware it's a big no no from boeing but im ready to be proved wrong. Only time fuel should be left in the centre tanks is if you/ your aircraft doesn't have the fuel pump mod or approval to use it and you have to leave 500kgs in the tank to keep the pumps saturated.

On a slight side note does anyone happen to have a rough fuel pricing table. Many companies produce them giving an idea of where the fuel is cheap so you can decide to tank or not. My old company used to have one but my current company doesn't so i'd love to have a look at a more current one. Euro Ops.

Fredairstair
2nd Jun 2010, 13:20
From memory, there used to be a Boeing bulletin that inferred that it was possible to land with 1.4t in the centre tank. Can't find it......

BOAC
2nd Jun 2010, 13:35
Discussed before and I certainly used it. I think it was discussed on the Fuel Frost thread. I think the resolution was that since Boeing had not issued a 'no objection' ruling on it it was not flavour of the month. I have not seen it in a company SOP for a while now.

It worked brilliantly and the only two caveats were to ensure that max wing root load was not exceeded (NB ZFW) and to ensure that the now incorrect c of g was taken into account It saved many de-icings or delays before the introduction of acceptable upper surface frost on the modified NGs.

Todders - another company's fuel price table will be of very little use to you since most companies negotiate different 'contracts' at different airfields.

Flight Detent
3rd Jun 2010, 02:34
My current understanding of the basic limitations of fuel distribution in the 737NG are that;
Without the wing tanks being full, a maximum of 453 kgs (1000 lbs) is all that can be carried in the centre tank, fullstop!

Pls advise if this is not the case.

Cheers...FD...:)

VarkDriver
3rd Jun 2010, 05:46
Acceptable upper wing fuel frost...Is there any acceptable upper wing frost? Don't believe so in the US.

alexban
3rd Jun 2010, 06:25
If you still have the fuel restrictions imposed,then you may select center tank pumps off when under 1400 kg, during descent.
You should check your AFM, and if you have a limitation there, respect it, and inform the dispatch you won't do tankering, or you'll perform deiceing if needed. Don't try to make your own NP or limitations.

Flexi
3rd Jun 2010, 06:41
@ Flight Detent:

The 453 kgs may be exceeded if, for example, the main tanks are both inop with fuel left in the center tank.
Our MEL says that the center tank fuel has to be added to the ZFW in this case.

@ Vark Driver:

NO NO NO frost at upper wings!

Cheers

TTail
3rd Jun 2010, 06:50
VD et all,
Don't know about the US but in Europe there are airlines with approval for take offs with frost on upper wing surfaces under certain condition, i.e. max 1.5mm, temperature above freezing, inside marked area etc.
Cheers.

GW_04
3rd Jun 2010, 07:39
TT,

Same in Auz and NZ mate. 3mm cold soak frost underneath, and 1.5mm on top etc.

Cheers

FCS Explorer
3rd Jun 2010, 07:42
on the upper surface of the wing there are those black lines indicating where CSFF is permissible.
from the book:

Takeoff with light coatings of frost on upper wing surfaces due to cold fuel (cold-soaked fuel frost) is allowable, provided the following conditions are
met:
• the frost on the upper surface is less than 1/16 inch (1.5 mm) in thickness
• the extent of the frost is similar on both wings
• the frost is on or between the black lines defining the allowable cold-soaked fuel frost area (see figure) with no ice or frost on the leading edges or control surfaces
• the ambient air temperature is above freezing (0°C, 32°F)
• there is no precipitation or visible moisture (rain, snow, drizzle or fog withless than 1 mile visibility, etc.)
If all the above criteria are not met, all ice or frost on the wings must be removed using appropriate deicing/anti-icing procedures.
Note: If the frost on the lower surface is less than 1/16 inch (1.5 mm) in thickness, the frost on the upper surface will be less than 1/16 inch(1.5 mm) in thickness.

BOAC
3rd Jun 2010, 07:45
Upper wing icing/Fuel Frost Icing - please not again! Well covered on PPrune if you search AND Boeing/FAA/CAA approved subject to limitations/mods. Do some research!

EDIT: Thanks FCS

VarkDriver
3rd Jun 2010, 12:25
BOAC, et al,
Just saying...even with FAA/CAA/ICAO approvals...there are companies that allow NO UPPER WING FROST.

CHfour
3rd Jun 2010, 14:59
BOAC, et al,
Just saying...even with FAA/CAA/ICAO approvals...there are companies that allow NO UPPER WING FROST.

No frost allowed on upper wings on RYR aircraft as IAA won't allow it.

BOAC
3rd Jun 2010, 15:06
Please not pages of who does and who doesn't:ugh:Well covered on PPRuNe if you search AND Boeing/FAA/CAA approved subject to limitations/mods. - it is available for anyone who wants to use it. No-one HAS to:ugh:

VarkDriver
4th Jun 2010, 10:33
BOAC,

Not intending to start a list...just add a level of awareness...not all companies allow any...I repeat, ANY contaminent on the UPPER WING.
:eek:

Cheers

captjns
4th Jun 2010, 11:59
I transfer fuel from the wings to the centre tank if large amounts of fuel is required for the return. Works well as long as the air temp is not too cold and the fuel entering the jet is warm. Worked well during the fall and late spring.

BOAC
4th Jun 2010, 15:51
I transfer fuel from the wings to the centre tank - which a/c is that, then, Captain? Maybe you are doing it on turnround?

captjns
5th Jun 2010, 11:56
BOAC asks...

- which a/c is that, then, Captain? Maybe you are doing it on turnround?

Yes... on QTA's on the -800 and -700. However the fuel being uplifted needs to be warm.

It's not a guaranteed method to melt NEI off the wing by the time fueling is complete. Fuel transfer must be complete prior to fuel uplift. With that being said additional time is required since the Supplementary Normal Procedures contained in the carrier's FCOM needs to be used. Also time allowances for the fuel transfer from the wings to the centre needs to be taken inot consideration too. Some areas of operations in Spain, Italy and North Africa do not have de-icing trucks let alone the reliable back packs.

BOAC
5th Jun 2010, 12:35
Much easier to incorporate Boeing's approved mod. You are a lucky man to have enough time on a t/r to do that! Not forgetting trying to keep the refuelling truck sitting there while you do it and all the other a/c are waiting for fuel..............and all in Spanish too!

captjns
5th Jun 2010, 12:52
The key is time. Also cooperation at airports with more frequent operations. I can't recall ever having any problems with the fueler. I guess we've been lucky.