PDA

View Full Version : how often should i fly?..PPL training

abedi
2nd Jun 2010, 11:40
Hi guys, first off I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere but i've been scanning the forums for about an hour now and I cant find anything.

I'm in no rush because as far as I can tell neither is the airline industry! I'm hoping to start my PPL in the next few weeks but was wondering if flying once a week was ok?

I've passed my class 1 medical and I am really pleased about that but I worked out if I fly once a week it will help me later on as I would be able to save more money for the later stages of training next year or the year after etc. I'm going to be 23 in July, so the big question is if im looking to complete all training within the next two or three years is one lesson a week too slow for the ppl?

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 11:50
Its fine but on the run up to big events eg going solo it might be worth having a few lessons in close order just to get the hands and feet working together enough to kid the instructor on that you know what your doing.

Get battered into your ground school though

joelgarabedian
2nd Jun 2010, 12:04
Don't forget that if you book one lesson a week, some of those will end up cancelled due to the weather. I booked two lessons a week whilst training for my PPL. sometimes I got to fly twice, often only once, and sometimes not at all. It's amazing how quickly your skills erode - I found that if I didn't fly for over a week, it took a while to get back up to speed when I next flew.

Fly as often as you can - You may find that the less frequently you fly, the more lessons you need, as you'll spend the beginning of each lesson getting comfortable with the aircraft again.

Best of luck :ok:

Joel.

corporate_pilot
2nd Jun 2010, 12:07
I would try to get the PPL done sooner to be honest while the weather looks bright. Once a week maybe ok for now but in the winter you wont get much of a say on deciding when to fly, assuming your training in the uk.

joelgarabedian
2nd Jun 2010, 12:11
corporate_pilot makes a good point - I started my training at around this time last year. I was pretty much done with the PPL syllabus by mid October, but the weather turned shoddy and flying opportunities dried up. I ended up doing my skills test on 1st December - I hadn't flown for the previous three weeks as not a single day had been suitable!

abedi
2nd Jun 2010, 12:38
thanks for the replies guys, I will be flying in the uk and fully understand the whole weather issue. Beautiful day today and only yesterday it was raining cats and dogs!

I do have the option of booking more lessons and think that 2 a week wouldn't be a bad idea, and wouldn't break the bank either.

jetset50
2nd Jun 2010, 13:28
Hi,

I'm currently on 16 hours on the PPL course and i've doing two hours one week and then one the next, mainly to consolidate what i've learnt and Ive found it's easier that way.

I agree with an earlier posting about the Solo, the more hours the better leading up to it, my solo was cancelled 3 weeks in a row due to high gusting crosswinds.....but now I feel more comfortable doing them, and when the Solo did come I was ready.

Hope the course goes well for you, happy landings.

Uncle Wiggily
2nd Jun 2010, 14:47
jetset50: Congratulations on getting close to your solo! Just think you are about half way to the right seat at RYR or EZ!

ab33t
2nd Jun 2010, 17:46
Well done . Halfway there if you have a spare £25 000

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 21:13
Take this lots advice with a pinch of salt they are on the reciveing end of instruction not the giving end.

There is zero rush in the current climate to get ticketed up for a RHS job flying an airliner.

;)

Di_Vosh
2nd Jun 2010, 23:26
My Opinion is that when you're doing your first lessons (up to first solo) you should try to take a week or two of annual leave and fly every day!

If you only fly once per week (which you'll do even if you try to fly twice per week due weather) you'll spend up to half of each lesson re-learning the previous lesson.

If you fly every day then you wont spend as much time going over the previous lesson and can concentrate on what you're meant to be learning in this one.

DIVOSH!

Bullethead
3rd Jun 2010, 03:14
G'day abedi,

I agree with DiVosh, if you can do it take time off and do all in one hit. You'll have the benefit of continuity and you won't have to rehash already covered ground with every subsequent lesson.

The other recommendation I'd make is keep one step ahead with your ground school subjects, that is have all the necessary exams done before you reach the particular flying stage. For example have all your CPL subjects passed before you start CPL flying training.

Regards and good luck,
BH.

jetset50
3rd Jun 2010, 15:06
Haha, Who needs £25,000 for a right hand seat at EZY when I can fly for free at home on my Flight Sim, the other plus is when I go to work my employer pays me :ok: ............not visa versa