PDA

View Full Version : I almost missed out, because my heartbeat was too LOW!!??

Kaptin M
13th Sep 2000, 13:48
Normal seated resting pulse is around 56, but the ECG [EKG, for our US cousins] showed 45-47, and hence an "abnormal ECG".

Would some professionals, or others with similar experience care to comment, please.

Void of any other symptoms, I wonder why this would appear to set the alarm bells ringing.

Should I eat more salt, potato fries, and sleep longer to "normalise" the readings? But in all seriousness, is this really a reason for extra testing?

Constable Clipcock
14th Sep 2000, 03:16
Never had any difficulties with the medics on this one — my normal resting pulse rate is 42 beats per minute.

A lower resting pulse rate than the norm — in relation to the general population — is common for highly conditioned individuals. If this is the case with you (it is with me, anyway), you shouldn't worry. Your flight surgeon should have asked you about this, by the way!

You haven't stated what specific abnormalities showed up on your ECG (EKG is falling out of use here in the US as well, BTW), but a low pulse in and of itself should not be regarded as an "abnormality".

------------------
Anybody out after 2 AM is either a turd, a cop or a pilot. Or any combination of the three!

FatFlyer
15th Sep 2000, 04:44
If the slow pulse is bacuase you are super fit there should be no problem.
The bradycardia(slow pulse) can have more serious causes, the main one being some type of heart block.
if you look at your ECG, the first small hump(P wave)corresponds to the atria at the top of the heart contracting, the big spike(QRS complex) corresponds to the ventricles contracting. There is a gap between these two waves (P-R interval) if this is more than 0.12 seconds(3 squares on the paper) then the electrical inpulse is being delayed in the atrioventricular node. This is first degree heart block and can cause(though it usually does not) a slow pulse. This is not serious in itself but can lead to second degree heart block where some of the impulses do not get through or third degree when none do. This can cause a severe drop in cardiac output and lead to feeling faint or even loss of consciousness.
Have you tried coffee, red bull or pro-plus to push up your heart rate before the test?
(not sensible advice really though!!)

I have a friend who was, wrongly I think, diagnosed with heart block as the laptop the AME was using to record the ECG was not running at the normal 25mm/sec but slower which I believe misled the doctor. he had to undergo expensive tests( which showed no problem) before getting his medical back.
Most AMEs are not cardiologists, if they find a problem always seek clarification or a second opinion.