PDA

View Full Version : Job success after modular training

GavinMc88
1st Jun 2010, 20:47
Hello everybody,

This is my 1st post and I have being reading different topics endlessly over the past few months while researching information on all the FTO'S.
I hope to start training at the end of the year but from all the pilots I have talked too most of them say do an integrated course simply to increase job opportunities after training. I would love to do an integrated course but for me 100,000€ is not feasible so I hope to do a full-time modular.
Im just wondering would any pilots who went the modular route perhaps post their stories and how they managed to land their first job after training??

Any help of info would be greatly appreciated and if anyone would like to pm me please do!!!

Thanks.

BillieBob
1st Jun 2010, 22:05
There is not now, and never has been, any independent evidence that self-sponsored integrated training improves the chances of employment. It used to be true that more integrated students than modular gained employment within a year of receiving their licence but this was when a significant number of employers sponsored training, which was invariably integrated.

OATS (as it then was), for example, used to claim that 90% of its integrated students were employed within a year of completing the course but, considering that all of those students were either wholly sponsored by BA or part sponsored by BM, such an employment rate was hardly surprising. You will find it very difficult to obtain equivalent figures for only self-sponsored integrated training as the results would not be as favourable to the schools' marketing efforts. Oxford is chosen only as an example, similarly misleading advertising techniques have been and are used by all of the integrated training providers.

mad_jock
1st Jun 2010, 22:22
Also as well OATS include any modular students which it finds out they have been successful in finding a job in there statistics as if they were intergrated trained.

Personally I was listed the year I got a job and I had only done distance ground school and had only been in the building for 28 days and never flew with them once.

Aerouk
1st Jun 2010, 22:58
You've got a better chance get a job based on who you know than where you were trained.

I know people who've landed jobs the last year solely on who they now.

shaun ryder
2nd Jun 2010, 04:07
Personally I was listed the year I got a job and I had only done distance ground school and had only been in the building for 28 days and never flew with them once.

Pardon me for being a little miffed, but if you didn't tell them, then how would they have known that you had got a job? How would you have known that you were included in their statistics? Did you bother looking?

Just curious.

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 07:57
Because actually at the time the lady who did the admin for the modular brush ups was an absolute star Deana I think was her name. She went the extra mile getting things sort for us otherwise ignored modular guys and girls. Also as well the senior Instructor Chesser (sp?) was a top bloke and an extremely good instructor.

The year I got my first job there were 50 that went through type ratings, out of that there was 1 OAT grad who was intergrated but had come out and gone into instructing for a year. I contacted Messer Chesser thanking him for his help with the ATPL exams (at the time JAR was just in and everything was abit screwy with some of the exams) and asked him to pass on to Deana that one of her boys had got his first job. He had asked us to do this to let him know where we ended up.

Then someone on this forum posted the OAT statistics for that year and low and behold the company I worked for had down against it that 2 OAT grads had got jobs with them.

Thus my theory that if you have a dump in Kidlington and they get to find out you have a RHS gig you will be included in the statistics was formed.

potkettleblack
2nd Jun 2010, 09:32
Statistics and damn lies. I actually got my school to remove my name from their "success" list on the basis that they had diddly squat involvement in me getting my job. When I look at their "Where are they now" list the majority are either FR or what I would call niche operators. In order to get into the latter category they all had inside contacts either from working on the ground or knowing someone. Many had jobs lined up on successful completion of the course. Bear in mind this was back in 2006/07 when the so called boom was roaring away.

Others were converting from overseas licences with thousands of hours so again skewing the figures as they aren't exactly a true wannabe.

But never let the truth get in the way of a good bit of marketing spin.

JB007
2nd Jun 2010, 09:43
Going back to 2003, I got my first job 6 months after finishing my modular course. Back then, most integrated courses were part or fully sponsored or pay for type ratings (BA/BMI/Jet2/FCA).

Strengthening rumours for some recruitment end of 2010/early 2011, but I wouldn't like to predict what options are open to zero experience fATPL holders!

G SXTY
2nd Jun 2010, 10:04
all the pilots I have talked too most of them say do an integrated course simply to increase job opportunities after training.

You really need to speak to more pilots.

Im just wondering would any pilots who went the modular route perhaps post their stories and how they managed to land their first job after training??

Certainly:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/333092-zero-hours-airline-pilot-my-story.html

Caution that I landed a job in early 2008, when the market was very different. The fact remains, however, that when airlines are actually recruiting, choice of training route makes little difference to one's employment prospects. Timing, contacts and determination are all far more important.

The only people that persistently spin the line that integrated training will improve your job prospects, love life etc are the integrated training providers. I wonder why . . .

shaun ryder
2nd Jun 2010, 15:25
Thus my theory that if you have a dump in Kidlington and they get to find out you have a RHS gig you will be included in the statistics was formed.

lol :D

You see I did the same as you Jock.

Maybe I am in their skygod hall of fame too?..

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2010, 20:37
you proberly are and I am not joking.

The fact that we both got jobs has meant that some poor pratt has got thier parents to put there house at risk.

We should maybe excel at trying to get these intergrated pilots jobs so that we don't have to live with the fact that people might get put out on the street because of our cheek to get good jobs with no debt and for half the price they payed.

Nahh sod them, pish skills at handeling, gobby cheeky attitude, medioca technical knowledge, but a fecking huge ego cause they were intergrated trained. Thier parents can live in the gutter for all I care.

Groundloop
3rd Jun 2010, 08:19
Nahh sod them, pish skills at handeling, gobby cheeky attitude, medioca technical knowledge, but a fecking huge ego cause they were intergrated trained. Thier parents can live in the gutter for all I care.

Pish skills at spelling (or typing):ok:

mad_jock
3rd Jun 2010, 09:59
err I think Pished would be more technically correct