PDA

View Full Version : A bit of personal assistance required...

davelongdon
1st Jun 2010, 20:19
Hey guys,

Just after a bit of personal advice....

After many people saying dont do it....I have decided to do my ME & IR before CPL. This is because I want to do the courses as part of my hour building to save cost so I can just do a 15 hour cpl course and then the 30 hours missing I can do in the PA-28 warrior at 118 an hour instead of £300+ doing the IR after CPL Without sounding big headed....I am a switched on guy, and I feel I can handle it after just doing Ibiza and back in 4 days last weekin the Warrior.

I have 117 Hours Total with 78 P1. Here are my specifications:

Looking for a school in the UK (So far I have looked at Stapleford, Flying Time & Multiflight. I was going to do it with Bristol Flying Centre but they have now stopped flying training. Pref looking at Stapleford)

Multi Engine Course and then ME IR, or can they be combined???

Cheap Accomodation

That they wont keep you flying hours more than you need to.

Then I would like to do the 15 Hour CPL Course.

Any advice guys?

Plus also......How many hours, tests a year etc do you have to do to keep the ME, IR, CPL & MCC all current????

Regards

DB

Jwscud
1st Jun 2010, 21:14
I was under the impression that the training part of Bristol is still alive with the same staff as Bristol Aviation (http://www.bristol-aviation.co.uk/), though I stand to be corrected.

mad_jock
1st Jun 2010, 21:31
I di it that way round as well

Try and do your CPL in the twin as well its saves having to fanny about doing PFL's and glide approaches. You just do a visual single engine missed approach instead which is bread and butter after the IR.

Can't combine ME and IR but you can combine MEP/CPL.

davelongdon
1st Jun 2010, 21:47
It just saying on the Bristol Flying Centre website, we no longer flight train, we recommend Bristol Aviation. Ill give them a call....I liked the idea of the BFC Credit card where you can spread the cost over 9 months interest free.

Ahhhh so im not the only one. Where did you do it mad jock.

What do you have to do to keep everything current.

Any where anyone recommends???

mad_jock
1st Jun 2010, 22:44
It was Leeds Flying school which is now gone from this world.

Each school has its own opinions about if its a good idea or not.

You shouldn't actually be that interested in which school, its finding out which instructor is best for you. One school can suit one person and they do great there and same school for a different student can be a nightmare.

Currency

MEP flight test every year in the aircraft with CRE.
SEP 12 hours in the second year at least 6 hours PIC and 1 hour with an instructor or a skills test with a FE/CRE.
IR: test with IRE either in the aircraft or in a FNPT 2 every other year if using a FNPT 2 needs to be in an aircraft.

If you do the IR in a MEP aircraft they do both at the same time. The test will also count as your hour with an instructor for the purpose of the 1 hour with an instructor for the SEP.

So for the MEP/IR is going to cost you in the region of 800 quid a year to keep both current and the SEP about £250 if you go for the test with a FE and not do the 12 hours. And thats if you can do them cold. MEP/IR training will come in at £350 an hour with sim time about 150 an hour. SEP will be at normal PPL dual higher rates.

I really would recommend you delay your training if your theory credits will let you.