PDA

View Full Version : To Delhi - BA or Virgin

legallooptheloop
1st Jun 2010, 16:28
Just for anyone with a vague idea of which airline may be better to travel with; I've got the choice of going to Delhi on either BA or Virgin. These are the only airlines which will get me there and have suitable connecting flights on other carriers from within the UK.

The Virgin flight will be flown using an A340-300, the BA one, on one of their 777-200ERs. The class will almost certainly be economy but any opinion on which would be better in business may also be useful.

Many thanks for any help,

Hartington
1st Jun 2010, 17:59
Remember both also have "Premium Economy".

Peter47
1st Jun 2010, 21:04
I can't really answer your question but check airlinequality.com (Skytrax) to get an overview. Bear in mind that unhappy flyers may be more likely to post but you will see trends emerge. Virgin tends to disappoint out of LGW / MAN but of course you will be leaving from LHR.

Its a bit like saying which is better BBC News or Sky News. Both have their admirers but different styles. Virgin is more "Matey", BA has more "Class". I've noticed that Skytrax reviewers vary a lot in their views on Virgin. This may represent variable service but may also reflect the fact that some like the Virgin style, others don't.

I prefer BA myself but Virgin has its admirers. You won't know until you have tried both.

Also don't rule out Indian carriers particularly Kingfisher & Jet. You may be able to get interline tickets. Reviews can also be found on Skytrax.

deltahotel
1st Jun 2010, 21:05
Came back from Delhi with Jet Airways on a brand new 777, business class 6 wks ago. Fab flat bed, good IFE, lovely staff, great food, excellent Chablis, claret and 20 yr old port.

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters!!

DH

22/04
1st Jun 2010, 21:46
I'm biased- flown BA, Virgin and Jet on this route within the last year.

Jet's aeroplanes are lovely-cabin service has heart but doesn't always deliver. Too much faffing around - and although AVOD the IFE is clunky. Daytime departure ex DEL, eveninig ex LHR

BA you might get AVOD IFE or not depending on which type of 777/747. Daytime departure out of LHR night or very early morninig ex DEL.

VS. You'll prbably not get AVOD(1 in 6 chance) as operated by A343. You will probably get cabin crew witnh ambience (albeit Indian or Essex) who will do their best. Any problems just talk to the blackshirt - he/she will try to sort it.

I'd go VS because overall they disappoint less.

Can't recommend Air India no matter how cheap though- just don't.

legallooptheloop
1st Jun 2010, 22:37
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've used Jet before and was fairly impressed, however the return from Delhi was cancelled due to industrial action which ruined things slightly. They took care of us reasonably well though and got me back on Air France. I'd happily go with them again but there doesn't appear to be any interline tickets available on the route I need, the choice in economy then being BA or VS.

I'll probably go with VS based on what has been said. Skytrax is a good website but as was said, the complainers will be more prone to make their voices heard.

Another option which could be Emirates. Is their offering in economy any better than BA and VS? Is the A380 anything special?

Peter47
3rd Jun 2010, 16:59
I haven't flown with them for a long time but their seating can be cramped in economy (see www.seatguru.com (http://www.seatguru.com)) and Dubai Terminal 3 can get congested. They can offer good fares though. I don't know where you are travelling from. If its MAN or BHX Swiss are pretty good in my experience.

essouira
4th Jun 2010, 23:19
I haven't flown Virgin but the BA club flight was excellent. We went overnight + the food/wine was good + the service better than other airlines (as mentioned by others).
We both managed a good night's sleep on the flat beds though Mr E found them too short for his six foot frame.
In the past I have flown the rout with Emirates + that was also fine.

Ray Dahvectac
5th Jun 2010, 06:28
Not flown that particular route but I have flown on Emirates A380 (DXB-BKK).

Is the A380 something special? Yes IMO. Probably the most comfortable Economy flight I have ever taken. (Picked a seat near the front.) IFE has an amazing range of choices, good seat pitch/width, excellent service.

And if you could stretch to Business ... :ok:

Certainly worth considering.

Wannabe Flyer
5th Jun 2010, 08:54
Try King Fisher they might have an interline in place. 330 J class product good