PDA

View Full Version : Hair Transplants for Baldies

PeterPiper
6th Nov 2000, 23:02
I have been toying with the idea of having a hair transplant.

Not that im severely balding but dont think balding suits me.

I know many will say cut it short or accept it, or balding is sexy but I just reckon its ageing (mid 40s not wanting to look mid 50s)

What they do is take a strip 2 cms wide from the back of your head (almost ear to ear)and fill in the balding patches.

Does anyone have any experience of this and is there anything that could be detrimental to your medical as a result of this minor procedure?

Thanks

JP Justice
7th Nov 2000, 00:22
Having been a baldy since I was about 25, I have never worried about it since.

I have bald friends and acquaintances who have tried all sorts of camouflage, and every one looks like a complete prat.

Nobody will tell you that you look a prat, but they will think it.

Relax, don't worry, be happy.

VFE
7th Nov 2000, 04:20
PP,
I can not see how this could be a problem for the medicals, unless they have trouble getting the pads to stick for the EEC. Will the procedure involve any false hair being used? If so, then that could be flammable materials!
Sounds dodgy to me mate. Sounds like you could end up getting laughed at and lose respect you obviously must have being a Co-Director and corporate pilot.
I am 23 and nearly bald. It has never ever bothered me. When my hair started to go at 16 years of age I bet it suited me a hell of a lot less than it suits you at 40!

Goodbye, VFE.

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 07 November 2000).]

PeterPiper
7th Nov 2000, 12:03
VFE,
Only Toying with the idea :-)What got me thinking on this was that I met a guy who I havent seen for a long time and he has had it done.
I have to say it looked pretty good.
It uses your own natural hair.
The hair in the back of your head are programmed to grow for life and with the latest techniques they can place each individual hair which looks natural compared to the pluggy look years ago.
The biggest breakthrough is 4-5 years off and involves cloning your hair so that you could have it all replaced.
Some look better balding some dont, I have mixed feelings and am purely toying with the idea (you do funny things past forty :-)
My main concern with the actual technique at present is the removal of that hair from a strip across the back could this have any effects which would be detrimental to your medical.

Captain Mainwaring
8th Nov 2000, 22:33
Do you have the funds to hire R.Bransons Island and stay there until your head ceases to look like a freshly planted paddy field ?
P.S. I could go halves on the island hire with you.

[This message has been edited by Captain Mainwaring (edited 08 November 2000).]

Mac the Knife
10th Nov 2000, 01:26
El Cid - depends a bit on your pattern of hair loss, but in general results are fair to excellent IF performed by a registered plastic surgeon with good experience of the technique(s). Check with your local Medical Council that the chap/ess is properly accredited as a Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon. Note that surprisingly few plastic surgeons have the extensive experience of these techniques that are essential for a happy outcome. Always get a second opinion from another unconnected surgeon. Two consultation fees can get expensive, but cheaper than a bad job.

There are a few doctors who are NOT accredited but who do a lot of this. Their abilities vary from the very very bad to very good. But you are essentially on your own with these.

And remember, the most expensive guy is NOT always the best!