PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember Peter Faid?

EmmaFaid
31st May 2010, 06:48
Hello,

Whilst trying to research the flying career of my late father, Peter Faid, I came across references to him in the PPRuNe RAF Sharjah forum. I made a post asking if anyone had more information on my father, and a forum member suggested I should make a post in the Rotorheads forum too.

I was only 5 years old when my father died in a helicopter crash in Ghana in 1970, and my mother Ann (who died a few years ago) told me very little about him. I hope you do not mind me posting to your forum - but I would be very grateful for any help or information about my father and his flying career, whether in the RAF or with Bristows.

Many thanks

Emma Faid
(daughter of the late Peter John Faid)

Saint Jack
31st May 2010, 08:03
Hello Emma,

I can't say I knew your father well, but I did work with him very briefly when he was with Bristow at Sunderland in 1966, yes, 1966. He was flying the Wessex on an offshore suport contract. Some of the other crew there at that time were Tony English, Larry Coram, John French, John Hooper, George Siddle (famous for cycling everywhere he needed to go) and a couple of Danish engineers who I can't put names to at the moment.

The context in which I remember your father was a discussion regarding the early Decca Navigator equipment on the Wessex, if I remenber correctly it was one of theose silly 'yes you can, no you can't' discussions.

The crash in which he died become a turning point in the developement of the particular helicopter type and lead to a major redesign of the main transmission. I understand the legal ramnifcations went on for quite some time.