PDA

View Full Version : New Emirates Road Show Dates & Destinations

cuberoute
30th May 2010, 14:58
I hear its all about to happen again !

Can someone please pass on the next set of dates and destinations for the Emirates Roadshows please. ?

Thanks .

5Bruce
31st May 2010, 06:38
Seems the details for destinations and dates went up on their website yesterday.
SpainMadrid4-5 June 2010
10.00amHotel Wellington
C/ Velazquez, 8
28001 MadridBarcelona6-7 June 2010
10.00amAcevi Villarroel
Hotel
C/ Villarroel
08011 BarcelonaUKLondon
Gatwick7 June 2010
10.00amSofitel Hotel London
Gatwick, North
Terminal Gatwick
Airport West Sussex
RH6 0PHLondon
Stanstead8 June 2010
10.00amRadisson Blu Hotel
London Stansted Airport
Waltham Close, London
Stansted Airport, Essex
CM24 1PPBirmingham9 June 2010
10.00amCrowne Plaza
Birmingham NEC
Pendigo Way, National
Exhibition Centre,
Birmingham B40 1PSManchester10 June 2010
10.00amRadisson Blu Hotel
Manchester Airport
Chicago Avenue,
Manchester
M90 3RA
Central EuropeDusseldorf13 June 2010
10.00amMaritim Hotel
Maritim - Platz 1
40474, DusseldorfMunich14 June 2010
10.00amThe Westin Grand
München Arabellapark
Arabellastrasse 6
Munich, 81925Vienna15 June 2010
10.00amLe Meridien,
Opernring 13
Vienna, 1010Milan16 June 2010
10.00amMelia Milano Hotel
and Convention
Centre Via Massacio
19-20149, MilanoUSAHouston12 July 2010Venues and timings of upcoming sessions
will be confirmed shortly.Miami13 July 2010Memphis14 July 2010New York16 July 2010Chicago17 July 2010Denver18 July 2010Los Angeles19 July 2010

GooneyCaptain
1st Jun 2010, 03:24
Has anybody been to one of those? What should I expect and can I prepare for it? I am thinking nice suit, smile, a few resumes and intelligent questions. Anything else?

johnnyramjet
1st Jun 2010, 07:12
Industrial size jar of Vasaline for when you get the job.

For the interview just be your self. Think of some "Tell us a time when...." type questions. Have your log books in good order. that is their first impression of you.

If they promise you somthing get it in print, you may need it latter.

Cancel2LateLunches
1st Jun 2010, 15:22
I was assuming it was a casual event at which they would try and sell you the 'Emirates' lifestyle. I didn't realize it was a formal interview type affaire, which required attendees to wear a suit and have a copy of CV in hand.

The Darkness
1st Jun 2010, 18:06
I went to one of these events in 2007 here in the US.

Most attendees were in casual clothes, some straight from a flight (in uniform), some had wives/girlfriends in tow, and only a couple in suits. Those in suits stood out like dog's balls on a cat - and they looked uncomfortable.

It was an informational session with some checking of flight times and background to those interested in going further.

Have fun.

Sataybox
1st Jun 2010, 18:32
Ask them what exactly is in the CONTRACT.

Ask them if there's a difference between the CONTRACT (which details your BOND only) and the TERMS & CONDITIONS (everything else).

Ask them if it's true the TERMS & CONDITIONS can be varied (by them) at the stroke of a pen and without consultation.

Then ask them how many times in the last, oh, let's say 5 years the TERMS & CONDITIONS have been unilaterally changed. Watch to see if they start squirming. But they are spineless and therefore incapable of such motion.

A few changes to ask about:

- Cancellation of Leave credit in the roster.
- Overtime pay threshold increase.
- Non-payment of salary increment.
- Water and electricity bills.

- If those don't interest you, ask if it's true a pilot was arrested when he arrived at work for "doing a runner" and dragged off without anyone from the office doing a ****ing thing about it. Spent a night or two in the can.

Feel free to add suggestions for these applicants (or supplicants) to ask in the roadshow. Maybe some FTL questions - that would be pretty funny.

But EK will probably decorate the room with gold-coloured plastic trinkets like everything here. The locals love it and maybe the applicants will be dazzled and forget to ask anything apart from "when-can-I-start..."

cl65
1st Jun 2010, 20:17
can someone please explain the above post regarding : doing a runner?

i am guessing something illegal?

faheel
1st Jun 2010, 23:44
"Doing a runner" usually is taken to mean turning up for your flight, getting to your destination and not going back.

Usually done when you figure its not worth the effort of jumping thru the hoops to get out normally,ie house /car contract you cannot get out of without serious loss of dosh and therefore if you cannot settle your loans you will be tossed inside a stinking Dubai gaol, never to be seen or heard of again.
get the picture now ?:confused:

pilotusa
1st Jun 2010, 23:55
So then, why in the world would someone who has "done a runner" show up again in Dubai to go to work? If I understand your explanation, "doing a runner" is effectively quitting in another country. Does Dubai have branch jails at their various destinations? I wonder if they give tours of the one at JFK?

Wizofoz
2nd Jun 2010, 03:41
pilotusa,

Satay doesn't QUITE have his facts right on that incident, but the truth is still something that should cause people to know what they are getting into.

This incident involved a Pilot who was employing a maid who had had her Visa cancelled. In all good faith he had, he believed, gone through the right channels to ensure he was employing her legally.

He was technically in breach of the law as someone else hadn't put the appropriate paperwork through and was indeed arrested at work.

He did spend several uncomfortable hours in custody but was subsequently able to sort it out.

Yes, things like that happen here, and should be comsidered before coming.

The only other inaccuracy in his post is that the Salary increment hasn't formed part of the promised T&Cs for several years, and has been awarded as a usual practice, rather than a right.

The only clear breach of the contract has been the cap on DEWA but, as far as I know, noone has actually been told they are being charged for excess yet.

But yes, you are only entitled to what is in black and white and yes, other parts of the T7Cs can and have changed for the worse.

Sataybox
2nd Jun 2010, 06:47
pilotusa,

The Wiz doesn't QUITE have his facts right on several of his comments, but the truth is still something that should cause people to know what they are getting into.

The pilot in question was arrested when he arrived at work (in Dubai) because he was reported (by another pilot) as having "absconded". The maid's visa issue is accurate but irrelevant. He was arrested as he arrived at work despite the suspicion of already having done his runner. Why would you "abscond" and then show up at work? Make sense? Not really but that doesn't stop this kind of unreal thing from happening on this planet. But it doesn't really matter; the point is, he was on company duty and property yet the company, who will pry into and attempt to control every facet of your life here, did nothing to assist him then or later. I wouldn't be surprised is he was marked "absent for duty" and had his salary docked.

This happened about three months ago.

The lack of incremental payrise is a condition many of us (but apparently not the relatively new Wiz) joined with. The point which the Wiz has missed is that it is NOT in your contract or mine. None of it is except the bond. I don't know if they still promise the increment but that is also irrelvant. They used to promise it but they do not adhere to that promise. We can't hold them to it because it's NOT IN THE CONTRACT despite what so many here still think.

The Wiz is also wrong about the DEWA (water and power) bills "cap" being a breach of contract because payment of your bills is also not included in the contract. As stated above, nothing is included except the bond. They could halve or cancel altogether the coverage of your bills tomorrow and we'd all just have to like it. The cap, if it is maintained, is the thin end of the inevitable wedge. If the Wiz thinks they will let it go, he's kidding himself. Nothing EVER improves here.

They will lead you to believe it is all part of a huge contract but there are TWO separate documents. One is a Contract (the bond) and the other (the good stuff) is just a bit of paper.

The company will let you BELIEVE it is ALL in your contract, as you sign the two documents, and after that they won't care what you believe. Then they will (continue to) make changes to the conditions you joined for and there will be nothing you can do except complain to the rest of us who will tell you that you should have known better.

I'm not trying to cut the company down; I just want you to have an accurate picture.

Another question: Ask if there is any (recent) history of sacking a trainee First Officer while he was under training for an SOP error, which led to a go-around.

Uncle Wiggily
2nd Jun 2010, 07:22
I think the subject of Emirates terms and conditions has been cited a few thousand times. Morale of the story: Go in with your eyes (and hopefully brain) wide open. Remember, this is the Middle East. There is still a 15th century mentality for many of the ruling elite. You may be a pilot flying a shiny new jet...but in their eyes you come from an inferior race and culture and will supply them with a cheap source of labour. It is identical to the Mexican flipping hamburgers at McDonalds in Los Angeles....the only difference is that you are flying a plane. Hey man...if throwing away your dignity and sense of self respect is your cup of tea, then have at it.

Wizofoz
2nd Jun 2010, 10:16
Satay,

First up, why the Agro?

I had also heard the "Absconder" rumour, but was filled in on what I wrote by someone very close to the source. If you have better information, fine, I appologise, but what exactley have I done to get up your nose?

You are simply wrong about contracts. The letter of employment I signed is absolutley an enforcable contract both under UAE law and, more importantly, in the UK where I signed it. This has been tested more than once and the company has settled rather than be exposed to the losing end of a court case.

In that contract it states they will pay all relevent gas, electricity and water bills. If they charge anyone, they are in breach. Mine mentions nothing about incremental pay or productivitey- relevent as they are two areas the company has changed, while leaving many other areas, such as ERP, alone. Why would they have changed Productivity and not abolished ERP other than that ERP is a contractual obligation?

I'm not "Kidding myself". I said I hadn't heard of anyone actually being charged and I haven't, and would have expected to by now. Have you? They may still do so, but I have a suspicion they know they would be up for a losing court challenge should they do so.

The sacking of the F/O in the MAN incident was a discrace, as was the sacking of the Captain in that incident and the treatment of the Melbourne crew. Absolutley no argument there and I hope potential new hires grill them plenty about that.

Gulf News
2nd Jun 2010, 11:21
Why would they have changed Productivity and not abolished ERP other than that ERP is a contractual obligation?

Well, quite simply because an adjustment to the ERP scheme would effect management salaries too. Especially the ones higher up the tree who sign off on the frequent changes to T&Cs. It is a lot less painful to them to come up with a cost saving that doesn't have any impact on their own personal bottom line.

harry the cod
2nd Jun 2010, 11:45
Wizo

Agree 100% with your views on the rediculous and punitive sackings of the MAN crew.

Melbourne, however, was a different story altogether. If you conciously decide to flagrantly disregard the SOP's, be prepared to suffer the consequences. Such negligence almost cost the lives of several hundred people. The crew were lucky that it was just their jobs they lost!

Harry

Wizofoz
2nd Jun 2010, 12:10
harry,

The outcome was perhaps inevitable, but the treatment of the guys in the MEL incident was none the less deplorable.

Yes, they screwed the pooch royaly, but to be basically threatend with jail if they didn't resign on the spot was not how it should be done.

Sataybox
2nd Jun 2010, 16:19
Wiz, you're not up my nose. My apologies if it reads that way. I thought it was a neutral tone!

You are simply wrong about contracts.

No, I am not. Not with mine at least, nor that of anyone of my vintage.

This has been tested more than once and the company has settled rather than be exposed to the losing end of a court case.

Sorry but this commonly-held belief is most likely wishful thinking. I've been around a while and heard all the grand tales but I'd love to know ONE NAME of someone you know and can positively confirm was paid out for a breach of contract law suit. PM if you have one?

It didn't take long for the rumour to kick off about the 407 pilots getting a million or so each but who in reality got 9/10s of f-all. In another year or so it'll be commonly known FACT.

In that contract it states they will pay all relevent gas, electricity and water bills

For most people I know (apart from some very old-timers) this statement is found in the fully-adjustable (by EK) document of Terms and Conditions. Are you sure about what you say? Might pay to check. This is why T. C. Ed had no qualms about notifiying us they were "adjusting" the Ts and Cs and never even bothered explaining himself.

As for kidding yourself, what I meant is they'll never rescind this edict about collecting the cap. They MIGHT not enforce it - for now. But in future, it is there as a tool to be adjusted (increased) as and when needed - a little bit like a TAX! This is just ONE of the ways they get "their" money back from us - bit by bit.

I agree about the Manchester captain too, of course. But the more obvious c*** act was with the FO.

Wizofoz
2nd Jun 2010, 17:25
Satay,

No sweat, I'll assume your nose is clean!!

I've PMed you but, for public consumption, I am pretty confident a document outlining a set of conditions and signed by both parties is a binding contract in the eyes of most jurisdictions, and has statements acknowledging same in mine at least.

Note that Emirates sends out "Contract Adjustment" messages for pay rises and such, as they are detailed in the agreement. That is a pretty compelling admission from EK that it is a party to a contractual obligation.

True, I can't quote you chapter and verse of anyone who has challenged and won because of a contract breech, but I'd wager you can't cite a case of the letter of employment being broken, that break being challenged, and the employee losing in court.

fatbus
2nd Jun 2010, 18:33
everyone talks about the wrongful dismissal where the pilot had a 777 impounded in London and was paid a large sum on the spot to drop the charges and release the AC, for your info he barely got his legal fees covered

'Note that Emirates sends out "Contract Adjustment" messages for pay rises and such, as they are detailed in the agreement. That is a pretty compelling admission from EK that it is a party to a contractual obligation'

so what you are saying is that its ok for EK to change your contract as long as its good for you.

clrblu22
2nd Jun 2010, 22:49
• Education Support Allowance
Financial support towards the payment of core tuition fees is provided to staff in more senior positions. It is intended as a contribution towards the overall expenses the employee may incur for their children’s education.

Does this mean that they are no longer giving pilot's an education allowance for their children?

Thanks.

Wizofoz
3rd Jun 2010, 03:10
so what you are saying is that its ok for EK to change your contract as long as its good for you.

A contract can be changed by mutual agreement.

I'm sure if you let them know you don't agree to payrises, they'd be only to happy to keep them!

harry the cod
3rd Jun 2010, 04:48
The education allowance is exactly that, an allowance towards your child's education. Up to 3 for expats, 4 for UAE nationals. Different limit depending on which school year but always a minimum of 10% from you.

Apparently, this 10% from the employee is to make us feel emotionally better that we are contributing directly to our own kids future. How thoughtful of them, and we all thought Emirates didn't care. :rolleyes: If you decide to use an American curriculum school, be prepared fo a larger emotional contribution!

Harry

Alconguin Crusader
3rd Jun 2010, 10:31
If you are American and thinking about bringing your kids to Dubai be prepared to spend around 36,000 dhs per student for young kids.
Most American schools are around 70,000 dhs per year and EK only pays 34,000 up to grade 5. Even EK pilots can do the math.

ProteaPete
3rd Jun 2010, 15:41
Apparently, this 10% from the employee is to make us feel emotionally better that we are contributing directly to our own kids future. How thoughtful of them, and we all thought Emirates didn't care. There's another shafting on Ts and Cs.... when I joined, they paid 100% but as stated they cut it to 90% to help YOU feel like you were contributing something to your kid's education. That was one of TCK's (That C**t Knowles) innovations as I recall.

clrblu22
5th Jun 2010, 08:16
Thanks for the replies.

JimbosJet
7th Jun 2010, 18:52
Was wondering if there are any of you that went along today to Gatwick. Was it a purely a PR exercise to whet peoples appetite to apply or were there good bits of info for potential hires?
I read that they may look at licenses and logbooks etc, did they do that today?

Ultimately it won't matter, I'm going to the STN one tomorrow but wondered if it was anything more than a presentation, in which case I need to make sure I have everything with me!

InnocentBystander
7th Jun 2010, 19:43
Quick question to the ones who attended a info session: Are they still handing out recruitment DVDs?

Yeager08
7th Jun 2010, 20:28
Jimbojet,

Please post some info after you attend the information session. I'm planning on going to the one in L.A. next month. Thanks in advance.

Y.

bmwm5
8th Jun 2010, 04:46
Any idea if there will be a roadshow in asia?(singapore,bangkok,kuala lumpur,jakarta etc).Thank you

fatbus
8th Jun 2010, 08:56
Keep checking the careers website for the most up to date locations

msian1147
8th Jun 2010, 13:32
Greetings!

i just graduated from a flight school with 200 hrs, and a Frozen ATPL, is it possible to be employed as a Second Officer at EK?

SOPS
8th Jun 2010, 13:40
let me think.....no..(check the website)

hunterboy
8th Jun 2010, 15:48
I went to the roadshow in MAD last weekend....doesn´t look like they´ll have problems filling the 700 or so vacancies. They had 110 odd pilots turn up.
The presentation was fairly slick (once it got going) and I was ready to ask some fairly sticky questions about various allowances being capped, etc. To be fair, the recruiters covered it themselves, and did emphasise that it is a big commitment to up sticks and live in DXB. About 4 guys stood up and walked out when they put the slide detailing the salaries up.

I´m guessing about 50% of the pilots there were unemployed ( Air Nostrum, etc) and the rest were like me, employed, but nosey. It made me realise that the grass isn´t always greener, and if you are going to be an expat pilot, I´d sooner work in the UK ,and live in Spain.

Uncle Wiggily
8th Jun 2010, 19:56
I'm going to attend one of these road pow-wows to see if any of the issues raised on Pprune will be addressed.

Honestly, all they have to do is hold 2 or 3 of these things in the US. There are thousands of high time unemployed pilots there.

The Darkness
8th Jun 2010, 20:16
I too will attend one of these "information sessions" to compare it to the one I attended in the US in December 2007. It will be nice to see if they address items raised by the thousands of pprune posts.

Did manage to acquire a recruitment DVD back then, that a previous poster referred to. Don't know if they still have them or not.

Cloud Bunny
9th Jun 2010, 14:09
Guys and Girls,

If anyone has been to one of these shows on here I would be extremely grateful if you could PM me with some of or all the info that was shared during the meetings.
I've been really wanting to get to one of these in the UK but have not been able to due to flying.
Thanks a lot, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
CB

jidder
9th Jun 2010, 17:10
Hey guys , can someone who has attended one of the roadshows in the UK this week havw any info on the format ?

Thanks,

J :E

strangestranger
9th Jun 2010, 18:47
Went to the EK show in BCN last weekend, was well attended, around 40 nervous-looking Spaniards and a handful of Brits.
Opened with a question - 'anyone from EZY or RYR?' answer 'no'
Then a presentation about EK, why they are so good, history, etc.
Benefits of EK - career stability, young fleet, expanding network, growth and expansion, all-inclusive salary package
4.5 to 5 years to command
Details of selection process - well covered on pprune elsewhere
All courses for rest of year are 777 except 2 airbus courses
40 joined last week, 16 this week, courses every week until mid-2011
They want your application yesterday, if you meet the requirements (which are not set in stone - I heard them tell one guy they wanted 'preferably' 2500 hours multipilot time) you will be called next day for interview !
A non-recruitment 'real' pilot talked about type rating and company induction, line training, rostering and bidding processes (covered elsewhere on pprune)
He said no swaps possible at the moment, usually 10-14 days off a month but min of 8.
Generally unhappy with roster 2 months out of 5
Talked about trip length - 1 day trips up to 9-day trips, mostly 24hour layovers
High standard of hotac
meal allowances in local currency, not as high as European usuals, examples of DUS 120Euro Columbo 30Euro
42 days leave, but only 30 guaranteed, any unused carried over to next year
Everything done in EK by computer
Life generally frustrating in terms of getting things done
Talked about salary, FO and Capt
Annual increment, not guaranteed
Pilots not happy about high hour months, at moment >85 hours per month
Talked about accomodation options and allowances, education allowance, bond, location of EK villas being allocated at the moment is Silicon Oasis, they have the keys waiting for new joiners
Talked about medical, free cover for self, spouse is 440Euro pa, kids 160Euro pa each
Exchange rate protection for 50% of salary
Profit share, not guaranteed
Provident fund - need 7 years service to get the 'lot'
They pay for: uniform, LOL, sick pay 12 months, free dry cleaning, chauffer driven to work in company Audi by a suicidal Indian or Pakistani
Talked about DXB: safe, family-friendly, not old-fashioned idea of cutting off your hands for anything worse than stealing, no problems of drugs or violence, good level of education ("outstanding"), interesting flight deck experience (85 nationalities), biggest shopping mall in the world, indoor skiing, luxurious lifestyle (maids, beaches, don't have to pump your own gas!!!)
What to do in DXB: beach, resto, cine, sport, 4x4 driving, shops, parks
EPC
Cost of living - gas 1.44 Euro a gallon, 2.50Euro for 1L of milk, 2Euro for 5L of H20, cinema 6.65 Euro, car 23K Euros (Ford Explorer)
Details of salary and flying pay, etc etc all covered in other threads but basically:
FO salary 24110 AED (according to them 5330Euro) tax free + flying pay 10Euro per hour

hope this is useful
strangestranger

Jetaim
10th Jun 2010, 11:01
Hello

I just read on one of the national newspaper of my country that Emirates is going to have an information session here.
It was talking about the big hiring plan of pilots and cabin crew.
On the side there was an interviev to an anoninimous pilot of what was once the national carrier now privatised that is thinking of joining.
He say Emirates salary are thebest in the world and the working condition much better then its present actual long haul pilot position ahome and he will became a captain in two to three years in EK.
It seem to me from reading this forum that EK pilots fly 94 hrs per months long haul and night flying to India and back. I have friend there on the Airbus and when I meet him recently after a few years he joined he changed phisionomy.... I almost could not recognize him!! From what I read here I think and what he tell me upgrade should take from five to seven years at least and DEC is just around the corner. This friend of mine also told me the strange story of a friend that cause of house issue quit. I was quite shocked. What I shuold believe?

Easy Ryder
10th Jun 2010, 11:06
Capt in 2 or 3 yrs??? :} min 5

DEC might come but there's more than enough qualified FO's

BigGeordie
10th Jun 2010, 12:50
DECs are a certainty. It is not a question of how many qualified F/Os there are it is a question of how many the training department can handle. The company won't loose any sleep over it because DECs are cheaper to train and on-line quicker anyway.

atpcliff
10th Jun 2010, 14:23
Hi!

EK will fly you to interview on their network.
I read that now 4 days off in a row is MAX, as the schedulers want to keep you in DXB and not let you commute or vacation.
LOTS of guys leaving EK now.
I meet the minimums and have heard nothing.

Does anyone know if you need PIC time...the website says nothing, but there are minimums that are not published...like age limitations.

cliff
LFW

Oblaaspop
10th Jun 2010, 17:33
Atp Cliff,

Most of your post is incorrect.

I've just had 6 days off in a row (top bid admittedly).

6 pilots have will have left between 1st May and 31st June. This extrapolates to between 50-60 a year with a pilot workforce of about 2300. Hardly guys leaving in HUGE numbers, but worrying none the less during a downturn in the industry.

atpcliff
10th Jun 2010, 18:19
Hi!

I read about two guys that had 4-5 days off before vacation. The schd inserted 12 hours of reserve at the end of their days off, and before vacation, so they could not leave "early". They said 4 days in a row max...glad it is changing for the better!

cliff
LFW

White Knight
10th Jun 2010, 18:22
I read that now 4 days off in a row is MAX, as the schedulers want to keep you in DXB and not let you commute or vacation.

Wrong!!! Don't believe everything you read here on PWhinge:hmm::hmm: And even if it was the case it would be nothing to do with the schedulers - they are just cogs in the wheel driven by our illustrious managers:\

imitation christ
10th Jun 2010, 19:08
Got an email 3 weeks ago stating I was shortlisted for the second shot after being blanketed in 2008 after my first selection program which went all the way down to completing the medical successfully. Then with a bunch of people blanketed in June 2008.

If they need "applcations yesterday" why do they postpone my invitation to the second one? (10000hrs total, 6900 PIC EFIS commercial no-bugsmasher-jet). Thankfully my current job feeds me well, it's just the lure of greener grass...

They seem to mess it up. These clowns want a lot, in fact they screw around considerably.

I will ask them the toughest questions they have ever heard when they come to town.

Oh yes, I will post their answers here readily made available to the community.

Cheers

IC

10th Jun 2010, 22:56
Cliff,

Not true.

I had 6 days OFF followed by 14 days of leave followed by 5 days OFF. Admittedly it was on my second to top bid.

Chock
11th Jun 2010, 03:02
You will be top bid every 5 months. I generally get what I ask for in my top 2 months.

Yes, single = 2 bed apartment in Al Barsha.

Hope that helps a little.

Oblaaspop
11th Jun 2010, 11:30
Christ,

Perhaps these 'Clowns' as you call them also had to deal with a HUGE recession in 2008 which is why you were 'blanketed' and therefore weren't able to recruit you then due to a recruitment freeze??

Believe it or not , EK are interviewing 32 guys (and girls) EVERY week, and therefore you are not the only one having to wait for interview??

Perhaps even, your file was 'reviewed' and it has been established that you were only a 'marginal' pass last time, and there is a possibility you may well fail this time (especially with that nasty little man attitude you seem to have). We only currently have a 20-30% pass rate at selection.

I strongly suggest you please go ahead and ask your 'wanky' rude little questions and look forward to 'thanks, but no thanks, now f@ck off' response you truly deserve.......... Mate we're not that desperate (yet!).:E

CAVnotOK
11th Jun 2010, 11:42
Oblaaspop,

That has to be one of the rudest, wanky replies I have witnessed on Pprune for a very long time.

Fact is Mate, that many guys(and girls) were severely screwed around by EK last year. Recession or not, there is a way to deal with people and also a way to lose your integrity. EK and you have seemingly mastered them both.

Cav.

Oblaaspop
11th Jun 2010, 11:58
Well mate, a 'w@nky' attitude deserves a w@nky reply!!

Yes, I agree that many were screwed around last year (DUE TO A 'KIN RECESSION!!!!!), but there is no call for slagging off your potential employer or making threats towards them because you may have had to wait a few weeks to be called for interview!!

Get real.

Oh, by the way, I can be a hell of a lot ruder and nastier than that!!!

Cloud Bunny
11th Jun 2010, 12:04
Hmmm, interesting stuff there from Strangestranger, thanks for taking the time. Regarding this; 'anyone from EZY or RYR?' is that to be taken in a negative way? I.e Anyone here from EZY or FR? Cos you can F:mad::mad::mad: Off right now or we want those guys cos they fly their nuts off already and are well experienced and would therefore be 'easier' to train and fit in???

I dunno, all seems pretty good to me. Have mates out in DXB and they love it (non flying jobs) as a place to live and when I've mentioned the package for EK and taking into account my circumstances they seem to think it would be a great move. I just have this nagging bloody doubt!!! :ugh:

Anyone with anymore info would be greatly appreciated - I'm not lazy just couldn't get along to any of the meetings!

Cheers peeps.:8

skyvan
11th Jun 2010, 20:34
Please be aware of one small fact when attending a roadshow, the presenters will tel you how things are now, i.e. 4 1/2 to 5 years to command is what is happening now. There is accommodation available now. EK is expanding rapidly now.

Once you get here, you will see that this is a very fluid environment, things that were said at the roadshow and during your interview were never meant as predictors of your career, merely things that were happening then.

The guys who are getting their commands at 5 years now, were expecting commands at 3 years. There are a number of pilots who were told all about Accelerated Command, being 18 months, who are now sitting in the queue for their 5-7 year slot.

There are those guys who arrived 2 years ago, who spent a year in temporary accommodation.

Ask your friends about how quickly things change here, and factor that into your decision making.

Having said the above, if the world is entering a growth phase, there are worse places to be.

Cloud Bunny
11th Jun 2010, 21:29
Yeah, valid points there Skyvan bit you can say that about any job in any industry in any part of the world right now.
Take my Mrs for example. She started a job a few years ago now in the City with the promise of rapid promotion through the ranks, a stable salary structure with increments every year etc etc with a VERY reputable organisation. Nearly three years down the line - not a sniff of a promotion, has had her paycut and contract changed without negotiation including removal of nearly all benefits and not a single increment in her salary. Sound familiar??!! The World is ****e right now and it just a case of trying to find where is less ****e to try and settle with that.
She's understandably looking round but so far everything that comes up is for a 3 month contract here, 3 month contract there. In Dubai - they are crying out for people in her role, pay nearly 3 times as much with full benefits package you name it. Obviously that is all subject to change, however one of her best mates from her current company went out there a year or so ago and can't get enough of it, has 10 times a better lifestyle than we have in the UK.
As a young couple (mid twenties) with no kids, two potential big incomes, free housing and all else that goes with it the Emirates/Etihad and Dubai thing is a massive pull for us. However if you trawl some of my previous posts on the subject we're not being blinded by the sales pitch and this is a very careful and considered process.
However, back to the topic. Keep the info coming and if you'd prefer to PM they are much appreciated. Like I said I'm not a lazy sod just couldn't get to any of the meetings cos FR are flying me too hard!! But I aint complaining :ok:

Royalblue
12th Jun 2010, 05:01
Couple Questions here guys....Attending that open house gives u more points to get invited to the actual interview? Do they talk to u directly for couple mins or its just a big crowd? Is it better to bring your wife with you(no jokes for wives!!! she already knows all the pprune myths and facts) ?

strangestranger
12th Jun 2010, 06:27
My experience was that after the presentation, you can talk to the recruiter or the pilot, the recruiter will make notes on your 'pilot info sheet' which you are asked to fill in before leaving and the pilot will give you a straight answer to a straight question.

We were told that everybody who attended and filled in a pilot info sheet would be contacted for interview 'as a priority'.

ss

three eighty
12th Jun 2010, 07:26
Attending that open house gives u more points to get invited to the actual interview?
Attending the open house has got nothing to do with scoring points, it's about getting an idea of what working for Emirates is like and assisting you in making a more balanced decision on weather you want to apply or not.
Is it better to bring your wife with you
Your wife is going to be the one stuck in Dubai while you jet around the globe. Yes its better to bring her to the open day she can also form an opinion. Encourage her to ask questions and then should you get called for an interview in Dubai, make bringing her with a priority.

169west
12th Jun 2010, 16:47
Sorry Gents, I don't know if someone already answer this question, but ... to attend a roadshow you need to be invited or you just show up in a nice suite? thanks

jackbauer
12th Jun 2010, 16:50
Just show up in a 3 piece suite. A leather sofa and 2 chairs will do nicely! Sorry couldn't resist!!:p

imitation christ
12th Jun 2010, 16:54
CAVnotOK,

thanks for your reply to Oblaaspop.

So I do not need to respond to his pathetic crap.

atpcliff
12th Jun 2010, 23:11
Hi!

When I saw them at the LAS job fair in Apr, they had a pilot ask me a BUNCH of questions about my experience, and they he said I met the minimums. He sent me to an HR lady, who told me I would get points for being there. They were NOT very busy at the job fair. AirTran was the main attraction, and then KAL. KAL spent the most money and had the most people there.

cliff
LFW