PDA

View Full Version : Advice for an aspiring army pilot

jonathan7
28th May 2010, 06:57
Im 15 ands getting close to the time where i must pick subjects for my seniors years in high school.
I thought here i could get some advice from any sso, gso pilots on here (as i have seen).

I have a few questions.

1. If i were to apply what are my chances of getting in is there? is it as simple- as if i try my best il get in for sure?

2. After training do you get to pick which aircraft you want to fly for your occupation?

3. What is the daily routine of a sso/gso pilot?

4. Are you always moving around australia with your job?

5. How 'fussy' is the army aviation people when you apply for a sso course, do all the requiment must be met e.g if i pick senior science instead of chem or physics will they mind at all? can i still get in?

Im sure il think of more questions. Thankyou and i hope il get a response froma pilot or experianced person int he area!

dakkg651
28th May 2010, 07:29
jonathan.

I'm afraid I don't know the requirements over there.

I did, however, count at least 15 grammar and spelling mistakes in your post.

I would say that good spoken and written English is a prime requirement for an aviator in any army, so a bit more work here would not go amiss.

Remember that how you present yourself at the selection interview is probably more important than what science subjects you passed at school.

Good luck for the future.

Dak

jonathan7
28th May 2010, 07:32
That was a casual post dak, I can try alot better -but i was in a rush, plus this is a forum and im not emailing someone.
Thanks too for your response.

SilsoeSid
28th May 2010, 08:30
Dakk,

People in glasshouses.....
;)

Faithless
28th May 2010, 08:53
That was a casual post dak, I can try alot better -but i was in a rush, plus this is a forum and im not emailing someone.
Thanks too for your response.

Good retort jonathan7, as you can see there are some people on here that have nothing better to do that pick on individuals posts....SAD :=.

Well done you for spending the time and effort to ask these question for your potential future career. May I steer you to this forum,

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > Boards by Arm / Service (roughly) > > Aviation (http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewforum/f=24.html)

It has may serving pilots who will be too happy to answer your questions.

Good Luck :ok:

diginagain
28th May 2010, 09:15
Faithless, I'm sure you mean well, but you may have missed a key piece of info in the OP's point #4.

To the OP - best of luck.:ok:

Aerouk
28th May 2010, 09:19
jonathan7,

I'll try and answer your questions from the information I've gathered over the years however I must say I'm not in the military yet so there will be others who are more informed than myself.

1) You can try as hard as you want but if you don't have the required skills you won't get in, it's as simple as that. The military roles are very much skill based rather than qualification based so you could have a Phd and still fail.

2) No, usually you can suggest a preference but it will be up to the military which aircraft you fly depending on operational requirements, so if they are short of aircrew for a particular aircraft and you meet their requirements they will probably put you on that aircraft.

3) Can't answer, what I will say is that joining the military is a life style rather than a career. You're going to be working in some highly stressed situations with some of the best people, you need to be willing and motivated to work as hard as you can or else you'll be out of the door.

4) I would say yes and probably the world also, it's something you would need to get used to.

5) Your local careers advisor would be the best to answer that question however what you should be looking at are subjects that you're good at, doing Maths, Physics and English would be ideal.

Work hard at school to get the best grades possible, get fit and then even fitter, learn about current affairs and what the Aussis are up to across the globe, get involved with organisations such as the military cadet forces and voluntary organisations.

dakkg651
28th May 2010, 09:30
Faithless.

I was certainly not trying to pick on Jonathans post.

I thought I was providing some well meaning advice.

It was certainly more useful advice than trying to point an Australian to a British Army website!

Faithless
28th May 2010, 09:35
Doh :ugh: Missed that... TAXI...... but still, too many "gramma" Queens on here.

Here try this then :O

The Australian Military Community • Index page (http://www.ausmilitary.com/forums/)

finestkind
28th May 2010, 21:09
Hi J7

1)Look at defencejobs.gov.au. This will give you some idea of what education you need and medical requirements. Trying hard is great but if you haven't got the right education its not going to work.

2) Your occupation is military aviator. Which aircraft type ypu would like is taken into consideration but the needs of the Army will also be a major factor.

3) Depends on what posting you have and whether you are deployed on exercise etc.

4) If you mean posting, not really, look at the main aviation bases for ARA. If you mean away from "home" well does a bear **** in the woods. All services, particulary today, spend a significant amount of time away ( Ops, exercises etc)

5) The fussy Army aviation people are also the fussy PSA people. Again look at the above site and read the short thread on flight screening.:E