PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

Jason2000
1st Sep 2000, 19:19
My eyesight glasses prescription is slightly worse than the required -3D for a Class 1 medical. Is there any way of still getting a Class 1 ?? I don't want to give up on a life long ambition just because I can't see just a few cm's less than I should be able to.

Cheers
Jason

Barney
1st Sep 2000, 20:16
OK this is my experience,

I am -3.5 in both eyes (-3.25 CYL and -0.25 CYL).

I got a Class 1 about two months ago with this prescription. However, I do wear contact lenses, which, I was told, added weight to my claim for being issued a Class 1. Also, I am aged 26 and my eyesight hasn't changed for about 8 years.

The optician at the CAA said that he was quite happy considering my stable prescription, and the fact that my corrected vision was better than 6/4 in each eye with either glasses or contact lenses.

From what I could gather, it is not so much your prescription strength they are bothered about, it is whether or not you meet the visual acuity standards with a correction of no more that +/-3D in place. All this is assuming you do not have excessive astigmatism, and that your eyes are healthy.

I contacted the CAA at age 20, and they said that I would be unlikely to be issued with a Class 1 until they were certain that my eyesight was stable. True to their word, I got that elusive class 1 6 years later after demonstarting that my eyesight was stable.

If you are outside the limit by a bit too much, they may consider graning you a Class 1 after gaining about 500 hrs flying experience. Or, you could wait 'til next November, at which time, this odd rule SHOULD be abolished.

All I can say is give them a call. They really are helpful, and they will try and advise you as best they can.

Have you thought about going for the Class 1 Exam anyway. If you declare that you think you maybe borderline on the eyesight requirements, they will allow you to have this test done first. If you are outside the limit, you then only have to pay for the sight test, rather than the £400 (deep breath!) for the full medical.

The'phone number is 01293 573685.

I hope this helps to answer your query....

Good luck, and may you be given the chance that I have.

Regards

Barney

Jason2000
2nd Sep 2000, 13:28
Cheers for that Barny
How likely is it that the CAA are going to drop those requirements then?

I think my astigmatism is less than yours but my normal vision is worse. My eyesight has been stable for 4 years though and I see 6/5 with glasses

Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason2000 (edited 09 September 2000).]

martinf
2nd Sep 2000, 19:28
Jason

I have much the same problem as yours and was recently granted my Class 1. I was sure that it would not happen but it did so do not give up yet. As the other guy says it is up to the opto who is really ood and lets you do it first.
Good Luck