PDA

View Full Version : Headset for B757

Goldbird
27th May 2010, 15:32
Hi

I am flying the B757 with no intercom. Anyone here who has seen the light and found the perfect headset for this aircraft. Money is not a factor. I have been looking at Sennheiser HMEC 46, Uflymike/qc2 combo, tbone and mach1

Thanks in advance

TowerDog
27th May 2010, 15:37
Money is not a factor

How do I get in on a deal like that...? :cool:

I use a Telex 750 for the B-757...Works good, last a long time.

dwshimoda
27th May 2010, 16:05
I use the Bose X.

Great headset and great audio quality, but slightly bulky to carry around and the clamping effect can occasionally get a bit too much on really long sectors. The mic is brilliant though, and you can leave the intercom on with no false triggers from other noises. I've never found it an issue to have one side dislodged to speak to CC / during start-up / push-back etc, but it does kind of defeat the noise cancelling!

DW.

Goldbird
27th May 2010, 16:15
Money is not a factor
How do I get in on a deal like that...?
You wish :O But you can't put a price on your health:8

Goldbird
27th May 2010, 16:24
I use the Bose X.

Great headset and great audio quality, but slightly bulky to carry around and the clamping effect can occasionally get a bit too much on really long sectors. The mic is brilliant though, and you can leave the intercom on with no false triggers from other noises. I've never found it an issue to have one side dislodged to speak to CC / during start-up / push-back etc, but it does kind of defeat the noise cancelling!
DW.

Thanks for this, I already considered Bose X but I think it's rather big for a jet cockpit with no intercom. I find it strange that Bose does't make a headset specially for jet cockpit. Anyone else who has had some good experience???

STBYRUD
27th May 2010, 18:29
Aye - I fly the 737 for a company without a tradition of intercom use - hence I boldly decided to try out the T-Bone in ear headset- in use since two months, I have only good things to report. Fits perfectly, you can still hear the other crew members, air con and wind noise is effectively reduced, you can even keep it in for the outside check. Not even mentioning the fantastic integrated mike! Thumbs up ;)

Weapons_Hot
28th May 2010, 00:42
Careful about using the T-bone headset (P/N 258260).

Whilst it conforms to TSO-C139, the amount of regenerative feedback during transmission makes the transmission sound like coming from the depths of a well (lots of echoing, etc.), particularly on the B744 and A330.

The amount of feedback is sufficiently bad (subjective qualification, but not by me) to the point that our company has specifically banned the use of the T-bone. A very expensive white elephant for those that purchased it without taking it for a test drive.:uhoh:

As a precursor to purchase: as the B757 is IFR certified, the headset must conform to TSO-C57a/C58a or TSO-C139 (which has superceded TSO-C57/C58 WEF 05 AUG 05).

oceancrosser
28th May 2010, 01:14
I've been using the Telex 750 for a long time on the 757/767, but it's getting old and tired. Anyone have experience of using the Telex 850? I have tried the Sennheiser, but felt my head was in a vice on the longer sectors.

Goldbird
28th May 2010, 20:58
Anyone have experience of using the Telex 850?

I am also interested in Telex 850. It is my understanding that the intercom must be open for the noise cancellation system of Telex 850 to work. Apparently the mic must be active to supply electricity for the system. For that reason Telex 850 would not work for me. Since there is not an intercom in the aircraft. Anyone who can confirm this?

STBYRUD
29th May 2010, 04:58
Weapons_Hot: That really surprises me, ATC hasn't complained one bit so far, and neither have my fellow pilots - there really shouldn't be any feedback at all if the headset fits properly - and how could there be? The microphone picks up the vibration from the jaw bone, a feedback loop can only exist of the mike is 'open' and doesn't sit tightly in the ear/on the bone - or not?

For the record, the thing does have TSO-C57a and C58a approval.
(Excerpt from the manual)
The tbone aviation™ headset model 258260 with its three subparts 258261, 258265 and 258269 are approved according to EASA ETSO-C57a & C58a and
FAA TSO-C57a & C58a

olepilot
29th May 2010, 07:44
Take the advice from someone who have tried it: Don't put anything in to your ear canal. High risk of getting ear canal eczema.