PDA

View Full Version : Emirates (again...) Business Class - Help

manintheback
27th May 2010, 13:04
I have to take my elderly mother to see the relatives in Durban later this year. The long o/n flight and transfer via Joburg with BA or Virgin is a bit too much for her now but Emirates are offering an excellent deal for LHR/Dubai hotel for the night and then direct to Durban. The reverse for the return.

I’ve heard very varying reports on Emirates and understand that there may be 3 different types of Biz class dependant on plane? Anyone got the inside on this routing and what’s good and what to avoid?

thx

Final 3 Greens
27th May 2010, 17:53
manintheback

Unfortunately, I don't have experience of this route but on other routes, the business classes I have seen are

777-200 - recliner seats, nice width, pitch okay (I guess 50")

777-300 - very old style seats (not even electronic recline), poor pitch - when fully reclined, my toes touched the seat in front and I'm only 180cms tall

777-300ER - very nice flat bed seats

332 - old style recliners, but better than the 777-300, narrow however, but about 60" pitch

As a matter of interest, is the price differential to 1st that much?

I've never had a bad first seat on EK and the service is fab.

Capetonian
27th May 2010, 20:32
I would consider that the transfer and overnight in DXB adds significantly to the end to end time, and to the time she will be in the air.

LON DUR via JNB is less than 14 hours including the connecting time.

LON DUR via DXB is 18 hours including the connecting time, plus up to another 24 hours if she takes the overnight hotel option.

A straightforward transfer in JNB to a connecting flight would probably be less stressful for her than transferring from DXB airport, to the hotel, then back again to the airport for a long flight to DUR.

I know which I'd rather do ... however good EK might be.

intortola
27th May 2010, 21:24
My elderly parents just returned to UK from a trip to Perth, they used Emirates business class with an overnight each way in Dubai, they were full of praise for the way Emirates looked after them both in the air and on the ground, my mother is not always the eaiest to please either!

manintheback
28th May 2010, 11:01
Thx for replies so far

F3G – Just looked it up and its usually a 332 on the Dubai/Durban leg with a choice on LHR/Dubai. No first class option on Durban leg but the deal I have, price is the same for 2 people as 1 routing overnight via Joburg. Does seem bizarre to have such varied offerings under one name. Do Emirates intend upgrading all to planes to one standard?

Captonian, for sure overall it takes longer but that long o/n flight followed by a transfer is tough even for me. Day time flights only in pretty similar time zone and a nice dinner,comfy bed and leisurely bkfst in between. And I will be carrying the bags so to speak. Hotel is an Airport one so nice and close and has excellent reviews. Time isn’t an issue in getting there (and back) so slow and leisurely works.

Final 3 Greens
28th May 2010, 11:26
Do Emirates intend upgrading all to planes to one standard?

I don't know, but if you look on seat guru, you will find an awful lot of subfleets.