PDA

View Full Version : antidpressants and flying

AV8 consultants
30th Aug 2000, 07:11
I have a friend who is taking antidepressants called Cipramyl. He has been told they are non addictive and he can fly but I find that hard to believe. Any comments welcome.

Streamline
30th Aug 2000, 12:58
The rule is simple:

No bottle on the throttle no med in the head.

If the depression is caused by external factors:
1.get a rest
2.sort out the problem.
3.If really needed get a bit of anti-dep.

If you are chronically depressed:
1.find another job

paulo
2nd Sep 2000, 04:35
No informed view, but JAR, for instance, is pretty general in stating no psychotropic drugs. Dictionary def is anything mind altering, inc. antidepressants as I read it. Definition vs. practical reality... dunno

ko_dianetics
4th Sep 2000, 04:48
The letter on the site below will help you anwser that question for yourself.

Famuos Psychiatrist R Mosher resigns from the AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
http://www.bhagh.com/media/mosher.htm

[email protected]

Dr. Red
4th Sep 2000, 19:45
Antidepressants are not the end of the world. Once you have stabilised on them, they are reliable and beneficial. They are not highly psychoactive so they don't make you go crazy or anything... the most common side effect is a headache.

As for aviation law, you'd have to check up for your area. I'd say he'd be fine, though.

------------------
There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth.

SID555
7th Sep 2000, 02:15
All anti-depressants disqualify for all classes of medical cert in the EU and USA, don't know about Australia.

For more info on the subject, click here:

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum52/HTML/000042.html

bigseat
10th Sep 2000, 01:19
Original questioner welcomed any comments so here are mine, but I am not a medic, I just happen to know a lot about how antidepressants work. So, any medics, dont shout.

I could talk at length but I'll be brief. If your friend is still working, it definitely indicates depression which is not at the severest end of the scale, but it is important it is treated. The AD youre friend is taking is one of the more modern (a bit like Prozac - which ,most people have heard of) it is non addictive, and dependant upon the condition, drugs such as this can be extremely successful. The trick is not to come off them too suddenly or too soon after getting better, as condition may return, but doc will advise this. Modern AD's when used correctly, are not like treatments of old. Part of the addiction/drowsy thing relates to some of the older AD's and tranquilizers - very different. Their are now many different 'new' AD's, and if cipramil (cytalopram) doesnt suit, the doc. will have many other good alternatives, again non-addictive. Different AD's have different side effects, this one has few (as already posted), but these vary from patient to patient in their severity. Many, many people suffer depressive illness at some stage in their life, so it is nothing more than another ailment in most cases. I know you are reading this, but please dont believe some of the 'Urban myths' about depression that everyone seems to know. Hope this helps, even if its late.