PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure - End of my Flying?

ATPLstylee
29th Aug 2000, 22:33
I have been told that I have borderline Hypertension, which doesnt require treatment at the moment. But I am of the belief that I suffer "white coat hypertension" and the BP is perfectly normal when I am nowhere near a doctor.

However, if indeed I do suffer a high BP how devastating is this to a career in aviation, as at 31 i'd rather not invest anymore funds in this career if it is doomed to failure.

Anyone else have a similar story and how has it affected you.

Many thanks in advance.

------------------
"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return". - Leonardo da Vinci.

mach78
30th Aug 2000, 01:30
Check out the postings on this forum from a few weeks back regarding this topic.

Lerxt
1st Sep 2000, 08:24
It is legal to take BP medication in Australia, UK and US and hold an ATPL. It is very common for people to do it and you can stay on the stuff for 20 years+. Don't worry. Go see a doctor and get Tenormin or something similar. You can choose to tell the authorities or not, they'd never know.

SamMiguel
3rd Sep 2000, 17:39
I have suffered with "White coat hypertension" for the last 30 years.My B.P. is normally around 180/100 when I have it taken during my medical examination.I bought myself a personal B.P. monitor and take my blood pressure at home on occasions and my B.P. is normally about 140/80.So I know in Myself that my elevated B.P. is a factor of being in the presence of a doctor.
I now have a good arrangement with my local G.P. Every 6 months just before my medical I undergo a 24hour B.P. reading which involves wearing a cuff and a very small box(around my waist),and during this time a B.P. is taken every 30 mins.My readings are always very reasonable as they have been taken in a relaxed atmosphere.The nurse at the surgery prints out the results for me and so far the figures have always been accepted by the CAA.
The whole process is a bit of an inconvenience,but if it keeps me off drugs and at the same time allows me to keep my licence then its worth it.

[This message has been edited by SamMiguel (edited 03 September 2000).]

777AV8R
4th Sep 2000, 11:09
Have a look at this excellent web site. I believe that you will be happy to see it!http://www.aviationmedicine.com/

Wideeye
8th Sep 2000, 02:27
I was diagnosed Borderline Hypertension 3 years ago. This subsequently turned into hypertension in a big way ( don't get divorced). The CAA doc was terrific and told me it was not a problem provided that it could be controlled. He prescribed the drug Lisinapril which is a Vasodilator; this did the trick so as the saying goes " I Keep taking the tablets". There is no restriction on my licence, the CAA know I have it and it is readily controllable, but don't get round the problem by self-medicating, that will only create difficulties at a subsequent medical and anyway you want to solve the problem don't you?

Rommel
11th Sep 2000, 17:50
Ive had the same for 12 years,prviding its not a serious underlying cause,you can fly with medication no problems.
See Dr Perry in Sloane Square or at his house in Hampshire,he is first class.Good luck with your career,do it.

Rommel.