PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide spraying in aircraft - who, when and where?

ShortCircuit
27th Aug 2000, 22:26
I have a relative who has developed a condition which would be aggravated by substances such as pesticides. She was a frequent visitor to the Far East, Bali and Singapore in particular and wants to return. However, on one flight in particular into NZ, the cabin was subjected to spraying of pesticides, and she is now concerned about this happening again

My question - Can anyone give me solid information on the regulations regarding such spraying? Which countries require it, and from what points of departure. In particular, are aircraft from London to Thailand sprayed on either/both sectors? Is the spraying sometimes discreet through the aircraft aircon?

Any help/advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

BlackDot
28th Aug 2000, 04:51
I used to live in New Zealand and they always did it on every flight into the country. Paranoia if you ask me. I have no other information of it taking place in any other destination.

BD

Lerxt
28th Aug 2000, 06:58
It is done coming into Australia from non asian and african countries. It is part of a long term sucessful program to keep OZ free from introduced pests. It is WHO approved.

ShortCircuit
28th Aug 2000, 12:49
Thanks BlackDot & Lerxt.

Can anyone on the London/Thailand routes comment please?

BlackDot
28th Aug 2000, 16:29
I just flew into OZ last April from Los Angeles, and they didn't spray on that occasion.

?

BD

redsnail
29th Aug 2000, 01:57
I flew to Cairns from Singapore in May and I wasn't nuked by fly spray either.

------------------
reddo
A Feral Animal.

ShortCircuit
29th Aug 2000, 02:02
Are you guys crew for these flights or just pax? It has been suggested to me that the spraying is not always obvious. ie. fed into the aircon system or something in which case you wouldn't know.

Who is responsible for carrying it out, the ground staff on landing or crew?

redsnail
29th Aug 2000, 13:48
I was pax, sitting in cattle class.

------------------
reddo
A Feral Animal.

Bomber Harris
31st Aug 2000, 08:54
I worked for a few asian airlines and we had to spray going to several destinations. Middle East and all Oz destinations for example. The sprays were different manufacturers for each destination and had to be approved by the local customs officials. They made us keep the empty cans as proof we discharged them at the appropriate time (on a couple of occasions we just threw old empties on board to avoid a delay when full spray cans weren't available!!)

I never read what was in them but I always insisted they weren't sprayed near me. The cabin crew had responsibility for the cabin spray and the mechanics took care of the cargo bays just before doors were closed. Some sprays are required to be discharged at top of descent and others before passengers board.

You will need to contact the Thai and British customs authorities to ask what their regulations state and then contact the airline your friend intends to fly to see which option they have gone for. You can then contact the manufacturer for an ingredients listing. We fly to BKK so I will have a look in a book in our office to see if there are any contact numbers.

As for spraying in the air cond system.....technically impossible on a standard boeing aircraft!!!

ShortCircuit
31st Aug 2000, 16:44
Thanks Bomber, you've given me a lot of useful stuff to be getting on with.

Detour
9th Sep 2000, 06:09
The spray is WHO approved and is done for all flights into Australia, New zealand and India. Never experienced one on Thailand to UK !