PDA

View Full Version : loosing weight

Rectum
25th Oct 2000, 12:35
so what is the quickest way to lose weight and what is more important exercise or the diet its self

actionman
25th Oct 2000, 12:45
...I smell a windup...

Barney
26th Oct 2000, 12:46
.....ding ding.....round two!

Chill out boys and girls, the guy asked for our help.
Rectum, have a look at this link it may be well up your passage, sorry, I mean street.
http://www.nat-way.demon.co.uk/

CrashDive
27th Oct 2000, 03:17
Uhmm, I'm just going to rattle my forum padlock keys - as well as have a quick look at any miscreants posting privileges upon this site - I hope that I need say no more !

Wig Wag
29th Oct 2000, 23:59
Join Weightwatchers. Lost 2.5 stone in 10 months. Feel great too.

Check out:
http://www.weightwatchers.com/international/uk/index.htm

Dambuster
10th Nov 2000, 02:09
Rectum - I smell a wind up but if you are serious in losing weight I lost 12 kg in 4 months.
Nothing radical - just followed the wife's advice (she's a Dr of pathology).

Simply put always have a good breakfast - whether you feel hungry or not.
This winds up the bodies metabolism for the entire day.
Have a good lunch and a very small dinner!
In other words have breakfast like a king,lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!
Dont eat late at night - after say 6:30 pm.
Dont have carbohydrates at night - potatoes and more especially rice!
These are complex carbohydrates that do not break down easily - particularly when asleep.
Go for broke though for lunch though.

Walk - preferably early morning for an hour or so or at night post dinner.

I did the above and went from 90kg down to 78kg - and lost 4 inches from the old waist!You feel better,sleep and think better.
My mind feels twice as sharp - especially during those back of clock flights!
Nothing radical but good common sense eating and cutting out the fat and rubbish - but spoil yourself every now and then.
Then again I couldnever resist the local fish and chips shop!

redsnail
10th Nov 2000, 02:41
Dambuster has the diet pretty well sewn up.

Exercise is vital in weight loss and management. Muscles burn energy (ie carbo and fat) so it is important to get them working. If you want to burn fat you must work the large muscle groups, eg legs/back and so on. There are two schools of thought regarding the optimum heart rate. One says 60% of maximum is the optimum fat burning zone. The other talks about 75-80% for the cardio workout zone and burning more kilojoules overall, ie a mix of fat and carbo's. You can choose. Probably best to start off slower and when you are fitter go harder.
With exercise, remember to stretch properly before and after. This minimises soreness and maintains flexibility. Hold each stretch for 15-20s!
Any exercise is good, eg park the car a bit further away from the office. Walk to see a collegue rather than phoning etc. It all adds up. Put down the remote.
A good gauge (read easy) to your exercise level is "can you talk relatively easily?..if Yes = ok, if puffing frantically, back it off".
Amount of exercise, well, walking for 30-40 min is a good start. Swimming is good too. Cycling for an hour.
Figure out what you like doing (using the remote in front of the tv ain't exercise nor is playing pool at the pub)
If you are over 35 best get a clearance from your Dr if there is some doubt about your health. Better to be safe than sorry.
Hope this helps.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

James R Swift
10th Nov 2000, 12:31
Diets alone are of limited use, because they 'train your body' to need less food by lowering your metabolic rate. But exercise alone (if your calorie intake is way high) will also be insufficient to achieve worthwhile reductions. You thus need to exercise and diet, and it's no use pretending that you can do either without realising that you have to fundamentally change your lifestyle. No pain, no end to (weight) gain, I'm afraid. Realising this may help you to set realistic and achievable targets, and keep you going when it seems tough or ineffective. Above all, give yourself rewards. Lose those two stone (or whatever) and buy yourself the Breitling you'd always wanted. Lose seven pounds and treat yourself to something smaller. Try not to make your rewards food-based.

Don't ban anything from your diet, but go steady and realise that certain foods can only ever be a very rare treat. Enjoy them when you have them, then think "Right, I won't have that again until Christmas".

GOOD LUCK!

Some espouse low fat diets (cutting the number of calories-from-fats) but there are doubts as to the efficacy of this, and serious concerns that radically reducing fat intake may lead to depression (Seriously!). Others prefer to 'count calories'.

Go get your heart, heart-rate, blood pressure and cholesterol checked. This will
a) tell you if your need to lose weight is urgent except as a cosmetic/morale improver.
and b) give you reassurance that vigorous exercise won't kill you!

Buffy Summers
11th Nov 2000, 01:41
Get hold of the book "Body for Life" by Bill Philips, its based on an American audience but has some very good and very easy to follow advice. Its based on a 12 week "course". You even have days where you can lounge around and eat what you like.
Its a mix of exercise and good nutrition but is very easy to follow. www.bodyforlife.com (http://www.bodyforlife.com)