PDA

View Full Version : BLADES magazine

R44-pilot
25th May 2010, 11:33
Hi guys,

I've recently taken a job at BLADES magazine, a helicopters only publication through LOOP which I'm sure a few of you are aware of, we reguarly get DK on here filling in on our questions from the superb flight tests he does...

If anyone wants to get the magazine you can, if your in the EU, get it completely free! Just sign up on the website here, LOOP.aero (http://www.loop.aero/Login.aspx) takes 2 mins then just wait for your copy to be delivered.

Best of all, it's HELICOPTERS ONLY! :ok:

_Obiwan
25th May 2010, 11:46
Hi
I signed up but can't see any reference to BLADES. What did I do wrong?

R44-pilot
25th May 2010, 12:03
Hi Obiwan,

Don't worry, if you have entered PPL(H), CPL(H), ATPL(H), interested in training in helicopters etc, BLADES will be sent out to you along with LOOP magazine, Dennis Kenyon writes in both so both are worth a look.

It will be with you shortly. :ok:

ab33t
25th May 2010, 12:23
Cool one thanks

_Obiwan
25th May 2010, 12:26
Thanks R44 :)

Whirlygig
25th May 2010, 12:46
If I had a penny for every time I signed up for BLADES and never received a copy, I'd have thruppence. :hmm:

Yours sceptically,

Cheers

Whirls

_Obiwan
25th May 2010, 13:01
Oh dear. lol. Still, Blessed are those who expect nothing, they are never disappointed.

firebird_uk
25th May 2010, 18:49
Whirls, I signed up once and get two copies. :}

The letter inside tells me I should register again to keep receiving my copy. I'm worried that I'll then get four copies and the postman will site me in some form of RSI related lawsuit!

BLADES: Keep up the good work.

Brilliant Stuff
25th May 2010, 21:33
Last time I tried to sign up I noticed the website wasn't secure so I rang the office and gave the lady my address. Never received a dickiebird since. So I gave up.

When I do find a copy I quite like it, but......

stringfellow
25th May 2010, 21:57
i read one once it was great but no idea how to subscribe... please can you do a standard subscription??? id much rather pay and be guaranteed a copy!!

Gaseous
25th May 2010, 22:18
I never signed up at all but always get a copy in the post! - I think they use G-info. Its a good read. Dennis always plugs the Enstrom cause.:ok:

Ian Corrigible
25th May 2010, 23:24
Dennis's sales efforts for Enstrom have been mild compared to some of the other overcaffeinated 'in your face' articles such as the multi-page spread fawning over the Martin jetpack. The rag sometimes reminds me of a kid with ADHD ("This is the next big thing...no, this is...no, this..."), but they've kept it going despite the downturn (unlike some of their peers), so kudos to them.

I/C

Pandalet
26th May 2010, 07:55
Chalk up one more for the 'received without signing up' list. I don't own an aircraft wither, so who knows where they got my details from.

Only ever got a Loop, not Blades, and only once.

gsa
26th May 2010, 08:36
I used to get 2 copies, one came with P1 strange with an (H) flagged on the registration.

John R81
26th May 2010, 11:53
Signed up, told I would not get P1 but no mention of BLADES. See what turns up

john

R44-pilot
26th May 2010, 15:49
Just clarify guys, P1 is an executive jet publication so not much interest to chopper jocks....

If anyone wants to PM their details and I will double check you receive your copy of BLADES.

Please also remember, one needs to re-subscribe each year to keep receiving it.
There is a whole new registration process for subscription now, very effective so everybody who has signed up in the last few previous months will get the magazine without problem.

Hope you enjoy it guys!

parasite drag
26th May 2010, 19:21
R44...perhaps mention to those in the subs. dept. that there IS an issue that's tarnishing the publication and needs sorting

:ok:

_Obiwan
4th Jun 2010, 22:41
No sign of this magazine yet.....

heli1
5th Jun 2010, 06:27
Obiwan...perhaps you should be signing up to HeliData instead...every two weeks with all the latest classified and news too if that's what you want !!

Ned-Air2Air
5th Jun 2010, 08:26
Or send me a PM with name and postal address and will send you HeliOps for the next twelve months :ok:

Ned

_Obiwan
5th Jun 2010, 17:19
Are there subs for these mags guys?
thanks for the tips btw.

pilotmike
6th Jun 2010, 09:21
Once upon a time I received one set of Loop & Blades. All was fine, as I fly fixed-wing and rotary.

Then we were told to renew our 'subscription' online to keep the mags coming. This I duly did, then I started to receive no less than FIVE copies of each!

I thoughtfully took the time to call the Cambridge office to alert them to this - in the interests of economy and saving them money.

Since then, I receive absolutely NOTHING! Diddly squat. What a way to reward someone who likes to read their mag and goes to the trouble to help them to save on costs.

Loop - start listening. THE ONLY 'ISSUES' ARE YOURS! You certainly are NOT getting the correct issues out the the right people in an efficient manner. I've given up even trying to contact you, you make it such a waste of time, money and effort.

parasite drag
6th Jun 2010, 10:12
As I said before R44....pass this thread under the nose of your Subscription people...if nothing else, you're letting down your paying advertisers !

R44-pilot
7th Jun 2010, 07:59
Thanks for the info guys,

Please bare in mind I've been here less than a month and am on BLADES mag only so it will hopefully be pushed into the right direction.

If anyone wants to PM me your details I will double check you receive BLADES.

Obiwan - This issue of BLADES only went into print on thursday so please be bare that in mind. Copies should be going out this week. It's bi-monthly so every 2 months.

Safe flying.

s1lverback
7th Jun 2010, 14:01
I get loop, blades and P1...I like the pictures in P1:} and its great for light reading in the loo.:ok:

PANews
7th Jun 2010, 21:15
Never seen Blades or Loop outside a show/event but... regardless of the publication it does tend to prove you have to make it simple to access.

There is a tendency to want to build up a mailing list [they sell on well I understand] but if it gets in the way of customer satisfaction what is the point?

Mine [whether you like on-line mags or not] is free and easy at the point of supply, no doors, no name rank and number. Still works.

parasite drag
12th Jun 2010, 10:52
Anyone received the latest Loop/Blades yet ??

Jeff Hall
15th Jun 2010, 22:01
Ditto - Its now the 15th, has anyone got their copies of Loop/Blades yet?

I'm beginning to wonder if my subscription has fell off the list - I did recently re-confirm my details - hmmm

_Obiwan
16th Jun 2010, 23:17
Not a sausage.

Sam Rutherford
16th Nov 2010, 12:52
Looking forward to seeing the December one, it has a story of our Libya trip in there!

Safe flights, Sam.

Brilliant Stuff
16th Nov 2010, 16:52
Shame it's not easily read.

md 600 driver
16th Nov 2010, 17:03
last i heard from them they were stopping free issues and charging for them

Brilliant Stuff
16th Nov 2010, 18:28
My point exactly.

DennisK
16th Nov 2010, 21:31
Don't get too excited lads ... I haven't received my November LOOP issue yet ... and I write for them.

December BLADES should be carrying a report of my day spent with the Essex Police ASU at Boreham and flying their role equipped EC135.

A wonderful team up at Cambridge, but their subs department needs an overhaul! Dennis K

PS. I'm working on a story of a 90 year old double DFC guy who was instructing on the Armstrong Whitworth 'Whitley' bomber ... AND he is still instructing! Read all about it!

500e
16th Nov 2010, 21:41
Gave up had nothing at all from them
Dennis not a lot of call for conversion to Whitleys :E hope I can still fly at that age

Jeff Hall
17th Nov 2010, 12:33
Did anyone get an October copy of either Loop or Blades?

Despite paying for the new subscription I appear to have dropped off the list again...

If anyone has a spare copy they wouldn't mind to be parted from I'd happily pay postage etc.

PM me if you have spare copies...

Jeff Hall
PPL(H) - R44

biggles99
17th Nov 2010, 15:23
you are doing an article about this guy, Dennis.

Finally you've found someone who has been flying longer than you.......:ok:

Big Ls.

DennisK
17th Nov 2010, 22:40
Now ... now Biggles ... I can go somewhere else to get laughed & chaffed at. But yes, the guy is still flying AND instructing at a busy club. There's hope for me yet!

Ref LOOP ... is there an October issue? I didn't get my standard copy. Info please from anyone. Dennis K

Aubrey.
18th Nov 2010, 05:52
Hi Dennis

Yes there is an October issue of Loop. I got mine a few weeks ago in the post. The front cover is about the new Diamond DA40 fixed wing. Not a lot that's rotary related this month though, although I enjoyed your editorial about engine failures.

Aubrey

Aubrey.
20th Nov 2010, 15:26
My November issue of Blades arrived this morning, so others should be on the way too. Interesting article about the EC X3, and Dennis K seems to have acquired an attractive co-pilot on page 23 :)

Helizoom1
20th Nov 2010, 16:41
Got my Blades November issue today also!!:D

parasite drag
21st Nov 2010, 10:45
I haven't got mine...I never do, it is impossible to get on their mailing list...farcical really...

Perhaps someone could be bothered to scan it/convert it etc. and put it in 'e' format on here ?

:ok:

FLY 7
21st Nov 2010, 12:16
Absolutely agree about the inconsistency of any kind of subscription.

I've really enjoyed the issues I've received, but not now seen one for several months - and I think I'm a typically good target for many of their advertisers.

the beater
21st Nov 2010, 12:35
Got mine yesterday.
I've just spent 10 minutes wondering where to start.
Maybe a discussion about Phil Croucher's advice to buy a helicopter on completion of PPL, or Alan Mann Aviation Group implying (surely they can't be serious!) that you can train to fly on an Agusta 109. Perhaps they mean that you can train to fly an Agusta 109. I have to confess, I'm still reeling from Captain Q's revelation in an earlier publication that helicopters can't fly backwards.
Maybe I could start with ignoring the schoolboy grammatical errors.

No, can't be bothered.

And if anyone finds any errors -grammatical or otherwise- in this post, just remember that I've not charged you £2.75 to read them.:=

Aubrey.
21st Nov 2010, 18:56
I picked up on both of those points, but far be it from me to question those with more experience... Whilst I can see the sense in a cheap aircraft to build hours and then re-sell, I'm fairly sure you can't do a PPL on a 109 ;)

DennisK
21st Nov 2010, 20:29
Happily received my October issue of 'BLADES' today and a good read it is with some nice articles and news items. Still no October LOOP tho' ... anyone able to confirm confirm it has appeared? DRK

KNIEVEL77
21st Nov 2010, 20:43
Hi Dennis,

This is confusing: I've just received my 'Bi Monthly' copy of Blades! But you said you had just taken delivery of the October issue yet mine says November on it!

If it is 'Bi Monthly' then it should say October as it follows Issue 10 February, Issue 11 April, Issue 12 June, Issue 13 August so Issue 14 should be October yet the one that arrived through my door yesterday says Issue 11 November!!!!:confused:

Was there ever an October issue?

As regards Loop, that arrived yesterday too...........Issue 62 November.

stringfellow
21st Nov 2010, 22:38
spoke to a friend tonight who came in from work wet and tired yet was glued to blades from the moment he came in and never bothered with his bath!!! i want a copy please!!!!

how does a mere mortal like me pay for a subscription!!!

chris.

Aubrey.
22nd Nov 2010, 09:53
Try here:

Nice as we are here on RH, advertising is expected to be paid for :hmm:

Splot

ETA: Oops, sorry - perhaps try googling it then ;)

DennisK
22nd Nov 2010, 22:22
Sorry K77 ... you have to make make allowances for we COFs .... yup, mine says November too! And November LOOP arrived at the same time but I still don't know if an October issue came out. Anyone help?

My piece on the double DFC, 90 year-old ex RAF ... ex Armstrong Whitworth 'Whitley' bomber instructor at 1940s RAF Sleap should be with the Loop December issue. (And he's still instructing at Sleap Aerodrome today.)

Dennis Kenyon.

KNIEVEL77
22nd Nov 2010, 22:33
Hi again Dennis,

I called Blades today to clarify and the 'November' issue should in fact have been 'October' as the previous one was August!

The next issue is December!

Hope this helps,

K77.

Pandalet
23rd Nov 2010, 08:39
Oddly enough, I've just received a copy of Loop (no Blades), despite not being a subscriber or having given them my details in at least 3 years (or having had anything else out of them in said 3 years). Or, in fact, having anything to do with fixed-wing aviation.

I suspect Loop's admin/subscriptions dept are easily confused, poor dears.

Epiphany
23rd Nov 2010, 09:21
The Beater - perhaps you should have written an article for the magazine. Those that have seem to enjoy it! :)

21lefthand
23rd Nov 2010, 19:47
I just got my copy, it must be from g-info as i have never sighned up. Some fantastic pictures of heli's on yatchs
Just need a yatch now ? and a bigger helicopter

DennisK
23rd Nov 2010, 21:40
Thanks for the check K77 ... much appreciated.. I've completed a piece on the Essex Police ASU flying their EC 135 so I guess the Editor will now publish with the December Blades. Hope you lads out there enjoy our writing work. I've no complaints as I get to fly types that wouldn't normally come my way.

Take care all, Dennis Kenyon.

Jeff Hall
24th Nov 2010, 11:19
What concerns me now is that people seem to be getting Blades who are not paying for it!!

I used to get it delivered FOC, then got a letter enclosed with it saying that it was moving to a subscription fee.

My partner did the honours and I got the Nov issue delievered ok, the question is - Did we need to bother if some people are still getting it for nowt...

I'm not moaning as I enjoy the content but I do wonder how/if some people are still qualifying for a 'freebie'?

Jeff Hall
PPL(H) R44

parasite drag
24th Nov 2010, 14:45
As has been alluded to, their subscription side is shambolic and neglected....so don't expect an answer to your question.....

KNIEVEL77
20th Dec 2010, 17:59
Anyone got the December issue yet?

paco
20th Dec 2010, 18:37
Hmm, not sure about doing a PPL(H) on a 109, but you can certainly fly one as a PPL(H) holder, provided you do a mini-CPL(H) course with a long title :)

Continuing the lateral thinking theme of my article, if you know someone with a 109, it may be beneficial for them to give you cheap flying because they may otherwise pay much more in tax - I'm not an accountant so get advice on this (maybe whirls knows something about it). It would appear that larger helicopters can only be written down over shorter periods if they do lots of flying (say over 600 hours per year). For some reason, the taxman thinks they don't need so much maintenance (yeah, I know, go figure).

Similarly, a helicopter that doesn't fly a lot still needs maintenance every 60 days or so - and it goes unserviceable more often. You may know such an owner who would be willing to help out with hour building in return for a small contribution.

I know of at least 2 people who have bought their own helicopter and built their own hours - one even set up his own AOC and hired his own pilots. He was doing so well, he nearly didn't bother finishing his licence. He's now flying a 76.

Phil

KNIEVEL77
30th Dec 2010, 13:24
Just got December's edition of LOOP today but no Blades! Has anyone got December's Blades yet?

Robbo Jock
30th Dec 2010, 13:51
I just tried Aubrey's suggestion of Googling it, and got:

"Blade Magazine is the web's best resource for information on current knife news and all knife related information in the knife market"

Looking forward to reading Dennis K's full-test review of the 'Dress Bowie' or any of the 'switchblade/automatic knives' in their sister publication.

Aubrey.
30th Dec 2010, 22:16
PM sent ;)

lotusmutus
31st Dec 2010, 05:05
Subscribed in October to both Loop and Blades...still awaiting my first copy of either!!! Was wondering if I would get them as a bundle for xmas, no joy!!:sad: Maybe get them in time for next year then

johned0
2nd Jan 2011, 21:15
Subscribed in October to both loop and blades. I am receiving loop but not blades. I have emailed them and sent messages via the form on their web site - not a single response. I have called them 3 times over the last 6 weeks asking for my blades. Every time someone promises faithfully to send me a copy, personally - I'm still waiting.

Fortunately I have paid by credit card so if this shambles carries on I can just get a refund off them. This is not the ideal outcome but its better than paying for something and not receiving it.

Call me a sceptic but I noticed that R44-pilot was very quick to post when he got his new job. He doesn't seem so keen to post now. Hmmm.

DennisK
3rd Jan 2011, 20:51
Ah ... yes. Now that the mince pies are thoroughly digested and the fog of the Rioja has passed, I'll settle in to a quirky piece on the Bowie.

Sorry lads to hear of the distribution troubles. Even as a contributor, I seem to have dropped off their radar too but I have drawn both Editor's (LOOP & BLADES) attention to what is going on at Babraham. They are good guys up there and I feel sure that they will have the distributions sorted SAP.

Dennis Kenyon

johned0
4th Jan 2011, 21:35
I assume Brabhams are the distributor. Don't blame them for all their woes, Dennis. As I said, I have called 3times and 3 separate people have checked my subscription details and promised to personally send me a copy of Blades. I'm still waiting.

Please can you provide a name and phone number so that people like myself can call an individual who will take responsibility and send us what we have paid for ?

Cheers,

John

FLY 7
4th Jan 2011, 21:49
I've had an identical experience :ugh:.

The incompetence defies belief.

DennisK
5th Jan 2011, 21:06
Hallo John & others,

I'm really surprised to hear of your poor experiences. The positions at LOOP/BLADES are as follows and I know they will not mind me giving the following details since this matter is of such importance.

Editor of BLADES is a nice guy called Dave Calderwood and he won't like hearing of such reports and will tackle the problem with his distribution man. Editor of LOOP is Richard Fairbairn and the same remarks apply. The buck will finally stop with the owner ... Sam Spurdens but you should call Dave and/or Richard first. Another contact is Dave Foster who is a director.

I've already sent e-mails to both Editors bringing their attenton to the problems being reported here. I have to repeat I'm more than dismayed to hear of the problems. Address. LOOP (Publishing) UK Limted, 9-11 The Mill Courtyard, Copley Hill Business Park, Babraham, Cambridgshire, CB22 3GN.

Hope some of this helps. Dennis Kenyon.

DennisK
6th Jan 2011, 19:41
Hallo Pruners ... I'm sorry to have to tell you all, especially those who have signed up to the magazines ... the company called in a receiver on 24th December. The liquidator's notice was sent to an old address so I've just discovered the situation today.

Creditors might like to note there is to be a meeting at 14.45 hrs on Friday 14th January at the Radisson Hotel, Stanstead. We may be asked to vote on some forward options.

Very sad news as the staff up at Brabraham are a great lot. Enthusiastic, and devoted to the three magazines. Just thought you should all know and I'm especially sad having been writing for both magazines since the first issue in October 2005. I don't think my piece on the Essex Police ASU at Boreham will now see the light of day.

Dennis K.

grumpytroll
6th Jan 2011, 19:54
Why not post your article here? Plenty of interested readers.

Cheers

KNIEVEL77
6th Jan 2011, 20:28
Another £30.00 down the drain then (Loop and Blades Subscription).

:mad:

toptobottom
6th Jan 2011, 20:51
Not if you paid with a credit card.

It's a shame - I looked forward to receiving my (3 duplicate) issues...

Floppy Link
7th Jan 2011, 19:24
Posted this on Flyer forums, for your info...

Interesting...
I had somebody from Loop on the phone yesterday wanting to know if I'd like to pay £19.99 (?) to renew my subscription.
A bit sneaky if there's not going to be any more copies published...or it could have been a researcher from the administrator trying to guage the market?

johned0
8th Jan 2011, 16:27
Hello Dennis,

I am sorry to hear the news.

I'm off to phone visa for a refund.

Cheers,

John

Brilliant Stuff
8th Jan 2011, 18:58
That is indeed very sad news.

Best of luck to the hard working staff.:ok:

Not surprised though if they couldn't sort out the distribution of their mag.

DennisK
9th Jan 2011, 18:28
Hallo again lads ... just to make things clear. On 24 December 2010, the LOOP directors instructed a firm of liquidators to call a 'creditors meeting.' This is scheduled for Friday 14th PM at Stansted. I expect to be present. The creditors will be required to accept and confirm the nominated liquidators. I have the company's BS and last year's accounts but have no business association with Loop Publishing (UK) Ltd other than as a contributor.

It isn't inconceivable perhaps, that a purchaser could be found for all the Loop publications as most of us feel the two magazines are especially good. How about a dozen or so creditors getting together with a view to buying the wreck and getting it going again on a different (profitable) basis?

Afraid I can't publish articles on Pprune 'cos ....

(A) Doubt if the mods could allow it.
(B) I need to be paid!

E-mail me privately if more info is required. AND... as has been mentioned unfullfilled and paid for subscriptions can normally be recovered when paid by credit card.

Dennis Kenyon.

Sa341
11th Jan 2011, 09:45
Sad but not a surprise given that we get 4 copies of each magazine to a private address and the fact we had to wait some 3 months for payment from Loop.... Shame

Good luck Dennis

Aucky
11th Jan 2011, 12:51
As has already been expressed, perhaps a little organisation with their distributors and customer service would have been able to prevent this :hmm: the only reason I (and i'm sure a good few others) didn't subscribe was because I thought the chances of receiving anything would be slim to say the least, although the copies I did see elsewhere were very interesting, and well put together.

Perhaps someone will see that managed correctly with a reputation revamp to suit they would be able to bring 'em back to life :ok:

KNIEVEL77
11th Jan 2011, 12:56
I rang the Subscriptions Department today to see if there was any chance of my money being refunded (I paid by debit card, not credit card) and was told that all they could do at this stage was if/when a new buyer was in place my subscription would be honoured!

Aubrey.
11th Jan 2011, 20:35
Surprised to see this, and rather annoyed. I had a call last Friday (7th January) and paid for a £30 subscription to Loop and Blades. Surely it's not right to still be trying to claw in money for something they know won't materialise if the company is in administration?

:ugh:

toptobottom
11th Jan 2011, 20:41
The company can continue to trade if it's in administration. The administrators' objective is to maximise shareholder value, so if it believes the business can be sold as a going concern, it's important to collect cash to satisfy the creditors and help protect shareholders. This may not be what's happening in this case however...

Whirlygig
11th Jan 2011, 21:10
Agreed if the company is in Administration. However, Dennis K's post mentions both Receivership and Liquidation (which are different) so I'm confused as to which.

Administration = company on life support but good doctors may breath life back
Receivership = amputation of an asset which may, or may not result in ...
Liquidation = the company dies.

Cheers

Whirls

500e
11th Jan 2011, 21:12
Whyrls
I would have thought it was fraud to solicit moneys knowing there is a good chance you will not deliver the product?

Whirlygig
11th Jan 2011, 21:38
It is .... but the key word is "knowingly".

When a company goes into Administration, a firm of Insolvency Practitioners is appointed to try to keep the business (not the company) going. The company's liabilities are frozen while the Administrator tries to salvage the business and make enough profits to repay the creditors.

If the company which ran the businesses of LOOP and BLADES goes into Administration, the Administrator can "kick ass" and try to fulfil the subscriptions which have been paid for plus producing further magazines.

Cheers

Whirls

toptobottom
11th Jan 2011, 21:59
Dennis K's post mentions both Receivership and Liquidation

Whirls - you're right, but I think DennisK may be confused. Liquidation is the last thing that happens to the company and usually takes months, or even years, after the 'doctor' has resuscitated the patient's assets - or not. There's no such thing as a liquidator as such, it's just the final process of the admin (i.e. winding up the company) and is performed by the administrative receiver.

Whirlygig
11th Jan 2011, 23:50
Er .. not strictly true. The state of affairs of some companies can be such that they can go into a Creditors' Voluntary Liquidation straight away without having the process of either Adminstration or Receivership first.

If a substantial, non-secured creditor, feels that the company is trading fraudulently (i.e. it does not have the working capital to meet its liabilities), that creditor can apply to the courts for a Creditors' Voluntary Liquidation. If other creditors come forth (as they undoubtedly would after a posting in the London Gazette) and support the application, the courts can impose the liquidation.

There is also the Members' Voluntary Liquidation where the shareholders of a profitable company can just decide to commit suicide.

Cheers

Whirls

toptobottom
12th Jan 2011, 07:18
Well, liquidation is the last thing to happen to a company, but there are many things that could happen before that. If a company cannot meet it's liabilities as they fall due, the directors could be accused of trading whilst insolvent and that's an offence the directors could go to prison for. However, if those directors swear on a bible in front of a lawyer now and again, saying they believe funds will become available/they'll trade their way out of it, etc., the company can legally continue to do business.

A CVL can take a long time - more time than most distressed companies have - and even then, the court needs to decide. I know of several companies where the Crown has applied for a CVL but the company is still trading 8 months later! Also, very few SMEs read the London Gazette; the first they'll know of a company in admin (apart from chasing a/p) is when the administrator writes to them saying they're in control. Presumably, this is the letter than DennisK received, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of the road. I wonder if the owners of Blade/Loop looked at a Corporate Voluntary Arrangement? Who called in the administrators?

toptobottom
12th Jan 2011, 20:30
500e
On 24 December 2010, the LOOP directors instructed a firm of liquidators to call a 'creditors meeting

Just to be clear, the directors may have instructed Administrative Receivers on 24th december. Once appointed, the Administrator/s have complete control over the company and its assets; at that point, managing the business has nothing more to do with the directors.

The Administrator/s alone will decide on the best course of action for the business and if and when to call a creditor's meeting - not the directors (see above). The Administrator/s may or may not liquidate the company in due course. As I said, this is usually months after the appointment because trying to sell the business or it's assets, managing any fixed or floating charge holders, debentures, calculate dividends, etc. all takes time.

If you don't want to claim your 30 quid back from your credit card company, I suggest you contact the Administrator in your capacity as creditor and ask what's going on. They'll tell you to go away, but only after checking that your interest has been noted. Once noted, you'll get chapter and verse on progress of the administration, as well as detailed accounts and the circumstances leading up to the unfortunate demise of the business.

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2011, 21:56
500e, all I, and toptobottom were doing is explaining the general principles behind company and business insolvency. The various terms of Administration, Receivership and Liquidation appear to have been used interchangeably, whereas they are all separate and distinct procedures resulting in different outcomes. I can't make any comment as to what is right and wrong since there has not been any confirmation of which insolvency route is bein taken.

Cheers

Whirls

KNIEVEL77
10th Feb 2011, 12:33
Guess what arrived through my letterbox today................the February issue of Blades and Loop! :ok:

firebird_uk
10th Feb 2011, 14:05
K77 - Same here.

Even after telling the (in administation) sales team that I would not pay for Blades and after them telling me that I'd never receive another free copy, my free copy arrived!

Dirty Pass
10th Feb 2011, 14:11
they say the hair and nails keep growing even after the body's dead...:uhoh:

toptobottom
10th Feb 2011, 15:44
500e - did you (or anyone?) contact the Administrators as I suggested (http://www.pprune.org/6175915-post88.html)?

Jeff Hall
17th Feb 2011, 20:26
I had a phone call from Loop's Subs department last week..

Trying to get me to take out a subscription - they seemed stumped when I advised them that I'd already subscribed!

What I bet the lady on the phone wasn't expecting was for me to then ask about the voluntary liquidation status and what was going on...

I was told that all was now sorted and there had been some form of management buy-out and that the Feb issue of Loop / Blades was being sent the same day.

Various posts in this topic seem to suggest some people have had a feb issue, however once again they don't seem to be sending it to people who've paid - their subs lists still seem screwy.

I phoned the office again on Wednesday and was told that I should have got my issue in the post - I advised I hadn't and they said they'd ensure another copy was put in the post... Alas I'm still waiting - hmmm

It seems they're dead keen to take money but not so on making sure people who've paid actually get what they've paid for, oh and that those who haven't paid aren't getting something!

DennisK have you as contributor got your copies through the post? From what you've been told, are they serious in continuing the magazine?

Here's waiting for the postman for my mags:-)

Jeff Hall

500e
17th Feb 2011, 20:34
TB
They never took my money, so not an option.
It would appear that it was not just the delivery system that was screwed.

toptobottom
17th Feb 2011, 22:13
Well, I received my Feb copy too and I'm pleased if the Administrators have struck adeal with the management; I'm sure it will go from strength to strength, not least on the back of al the PR on PPRuNe!!

Good luck guys :ok:

johned0
22nd Feb 2011, 21:16
Called my credit card company and requested refund. Two days later a form arrived to complete and 5 days after that the funds were back in my bank.

Simples.

DennisK
23rd Feb 2011, 21:21
I guess most of you will now know that the original management have sorted out a deal to get both BLADES and LOOP up and running again. My article on the Essex ASU scheduled for the old BLADES has now been published in an all glossy BLADES magazine ... out now.

Anyone can go bust in this mad business, Even Rolls Royce managed it and was going again within six months. I just wish their team better luck this time. Dennis K

jez d
24th Feb 2011, 14:22
Have all the creditors been paid? If not, I wouldn't be so quick to wish them good luck for the future unless it's a new management team in place.

BTW, I'm not an embittered creditor, but I do get a bit hot under the collar when a company fails, leaves a load of debts, and then re-emerges debt free as a new limited company, asking what all the fuss was about.

Hopefully this is not the case with Loop or Blades, but I reserve the right to be skeptical.

toptobottom
24th Feb 2011, 17:56
jez d

With respect, that's a rather naive thing to say. There are lots of reasons why a business can fail and not necessarily the fault of the management team.

The creditors will probably be presented with a proposal by the administrators for so many pence in the pound; I say probably because I doubt very much that the administrators have sorted out how much is left in the pot (if anything) in order to calculate a distribution yet.

'Phoenixism' is illegal and is so to prevent the habitual wind up and resurrection process that was so popular in the 80s. However, it is possibly to do a 'pre-packed' administration, which allows the administrators to realise some value from the assets of OldCo, as well as save staff jobs, etc. As I said before, if a creditor has registered its interest with the administrators, it will be given a detailed account of the circumstances leading up to the failure of the business.

If the management team of NewCo is the same (or similar) as OldCo, I applaud them for persevering and wish them all the very best with it :ok:

TTB

jez d
25th Feb 2011, 08:21
Fair point TTB. Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned in my thinking.

Regards, jez

500e
25th Feb 2011, 11:50
jez D
I am with you
We have about 5 lots of detailed accounts on my desk at present, we do not expect to get a good drink out of any of them, even if we lump them together.
Some Co seem to reinvent :E themselves at regular intervals, & then spring up as Blogs 20011 Ltd
We have been in business since 1963 & have never found it was worth pursuing as a creditor (small amounts) .
The same names keep cropping up, strange that TB thinks this does not happen.
The creditors will probably be presented with a proposal by the administrators for so many pence in the pound; I say probably because I doubt very much that the administrators have sorted out how much is left in the pot (if anything) in order to calculate a distribution yet
This can drive smaller company's to the wall .
I presume that is what you mean when you say, "There are lots of reasons why a business can fail and not necessarily the fault of the management team. ".
There have been 2\3 threads running on pprune regarding strange happenings in this industry alone.
Pleas don't forget the preferred creditor list, I note the accountant costs appear here with eye watering amounts in a lot of payouts.

hands_on123
25th Feb 2011, 12:11
I think if I ran a business that depended on getting money from small-to-medium aviation companies I would insist on pre-payment.

toptobottom
25th Feb 2011, 12:30
I didn't say it doesn't happen! What I did say is that Pheonixism is illegal and precisely to avoid the situation where unscrupulous directors can do the dirty on their creditors for their own convenience. What can happen, is a pre-packed admin. This normally involves the director/s of a distressed company approachIng an administrator before the business becomes insolvent and agreeing the acquisition of certain assets e.g. contracts, staff, materials/stock, goodwill, etc. before putting the company into admin. These pre-packs are strictly regulated and prevent 'the same old names' habitually shedding debt by 're-inventing themselves' whenever things get sticky.

DennisK
25th Feb 2011, 14:03
For 'Hands on' ... the problem with your system is the 'goodwill' factor.

Over the years and in my business, I decided I was never prepared to treat my every day customers as '****s' and demand money up front for my service, just because one in a hundred of them was a defrauding ****. In thirty years I've never solved that problem and like many others, the rotten 'one in a hundred' has taken me for a few hundred and a few thousand and in one case half way to six figures.

Cest la vie .... Dennis Kenyon.

DennisK
25th Feb 2011, 14:06
Sorry ... that last line should be 'five!' DRK

toptobottom
25th Feb 2011, 14:42
There's a huge difference between the 'defrauding sh*ts' whose intention from the outset is to take a supplier for a ride and a genuinely distressed situation that couldn't be avoided :ugh:

I don't imagine for a second that the directors behind Blades magazine wanted to go into admin. Indeed, it's quite likely that they've had very many sleepless nights and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've have lost their own money in this case.

TTB

parasite drag
25th Feb 2011, 20:21
I think it's fair to say that if the subscription debacle helped topwards the 'going in to admin' then they deserved those sleepness nights :ugh:

twelveoclockhigh
26th Feb 2011, 04:08
If you go to Companies House you can download the creditors report for Loop Publishing (UK) Ltd and see who is owed what.

helicoptergear
13th Aug 2011, 11:56
Despite requesting the so called free copy they never arrive, it must still be loop, yes the ones who took subscriptions but never sent them either. Nothing much changes does it, there are other free issues out there I have signed up for one and got there last 12 editions within 12 hours.

JDurrant
14th Feb 2012, 22:52
Has anyone had any success with their Blades subscriptions? I paid for mine back in August and have so far only been sent one magazine. Can anyone advise if they have had a copy beyond August 2011?
No reply to emails, and so I fear the worst:confused:

Max Shutterspeed
15th Feb 2012, 07:53
Met them at Helitech, full of exciting news about moving to 100% iPad publishing. Not having an iPad yet, don't know if that's true.

BLADES Magazine for iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blades-magazine/id482096811?mt=8)

Haven't had a copy of Loop in months, kind of given up due to inconsistency of issues arriving / not arriving.

Hope they're successful, used to enjoy the read.

XTEC
15th Feb 2012, 19:32
I spoke with them last week. I paid my subscription to Loop, P1 and Blades last year. Later that year, they introduced the iPad version, they are no longer sending out the magazines.

I do not have an iPad. I did not ask for my money back, but I guess if enough people do, they may have to.

XTEC

JDurrant
16th Feb 2012, 21:12
I rang Loop today and spoke to a chap called Sam who was very apologetic, but keen to emphasize that he wanted to reimburse any monies due. He has also asked if I could post on here his details should there be any other subscribers who have disappeared off their radar that are also due a refund.
[email protected]
It would appear that since they have launched the app on iPad they have had a new lease of life, and apparently this new platform looks set to bring them success, probably due to low distribution or production costs.
SO...good news all round, no quibble refund, and a great magazine set to continue. Just need to buy an iPad, which will mean sacrificing an hour in the 44. By the way it doesn't load on an iphone...already tried.

helicopternews
17th Feb 2012, 07:29
Why should loop be trusted at all with any word they say about any type of issue or format, they ripped me off big style I had to get a charge back from my c/c company because they flatly refused to return or reply to emails.

I'm not and most others will not go and spend 400/500 pounds on the word of a publisher that ripped off a lot of readers.

Good riddance loop.

Sam LOOP
17th Feb 2012, 10:55
Firstly we didn't rip any readers off and I'd watch comments like those until you have the full facts. When our last company went bust and we had to close it we didn't know if we would be able to still get control of the brands that we had sunk everything into over the last seven years. We had formed a company called LOOP Digital Media in an attempt to do that and we had to pay a market rate to get the brands. What we didn't have to do was honour subscriptions from the last company but we did at over 60k of expense to me personally. So rather than ripping off readers you might be inclined to think that I am someone who takes the responsibilities of business very seriously.
What I can't effect is the market place. Advertising revenue is tough but since September 2010 we were invited by Adobe to be on the pre release programme on there iPad publishing software. Due to our editorial and LOOPTV angle we were the only aviation publisher in the world to be invited.
Since then we have been working on developing our apps and today we remain as the only aviation publisher in the world to have magazines that are built specifically for the iPad rather than PDF page turner efforts that are just the same as print versions.
We are blazing a trail and to date we've had over 40,000 downloads of our apps and the growth over the last week since we went on Newsstand with LOOP and BLADES has been incredible. We have had a ten fold increase.
The apps give us a worldwide market place and because they are so very good people return. We have 11% of our downloads from Asia, 34% from North America, 6.5% from South America. It's given us and our advertisers readers in regions that we couldn't touch with print. More importantly it has given us the renewed vigor to make wonderful content. If you look at the LOOP and BLADES and P1 apps you'll see what I mean. The quality is exceptional.
The world of aviation is full of twists and turns, peaks and troughs and I have broad shoulders (you need them to tough it out in publishing!) but anyone who knows us and what we do will be appalled by those type of comments and you should apologise. We do not rip anyone off. We have around 60 subscribers of BLADES that are due money out of a total of 2700 paid subscribers. In the meantime have a look at the apps. They really are a work of art and we were just nominated as Media Pioneers of the Year! The future is never certain but our team is the best and we always strive to make each and every issue better than the last. You should applaud our verve. All our publications are now iPad only, over 60% of our readers have iPads and we reach a completely new set of readers worldwide. Publishing has changed forever and we are first. If nothing else you should realise that we have incredible staying power and creativity to do what we do from such a small team.
But you shouldn't buy an iPad just because of us, you should get one because it will revolutionise the way you access media, work, aviation and a whole lot more. They are quite brilliant. It just so happens that you can also get our apps on the iPad so it's a win win! We are just about to launch our Chinese language app for P1 and we already have a German language app for LOOP - called LOOPIN.
And one last point. All of aviation has had a rocky time over the last three years. We've been right in the middle of that and are proud to stand up, take our punches with everyone else but still keep going and still keep innovating and making wonderful content.

heli1
17th Feb 2012, 11:07
Helicopter International is celebrating 35 years of publishing this year and HeliData News and Classified is now 30 years old....both still providing print as well as on line copies for those interested is news,sales and other aspects of the helicopter market...Long Established publications are always the best !

toptobottom
17th Feb 2012, 11:21
helicopternews: they ripped me off big style

How did they [sic] do that exactly?

JDurrant
17th Feb 2012, 12:39
I am not here to defend LOOP, but merely pass on what was said. In my opinion he seemed genuinely sorry for how they had handled things in the past and appeared keen to put things right. Why offer to give his name and contact details to this forum if there was not a genuine want to put things right. Personally I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and see how long it takes for funds to be put back into my account.

My comment about purchasing an iPad was a tongue on cheek remark. I have been trying to justify the purchase for the past year, this was just another selling point to convince Mrs D! I am not suggesting we all go out and purchase an iPad in order to satisfy the publishers distribution numbers, but consider the positives in this latest development. With no distribution costs and no printing costs, maybe these guys can start to make some real money and make this a successful business. We in turn will be the beneficiaries of a monthly (not quarterly) fix of this wonderful industry we are so passionate about, and at NO cost.

Whilst I join all who are frustrated at losing any monies, lets not lose sight of what it is these guys do. They feed us heli addicts with news, data, and general insight of the heli world that frankly I cannot get enough of. In some ways these publications albeit fractured and somewhat inconsistent in their delivery, help keep my life long dream alive. I have not flown this year, and the weeks are racing past. Without this forum and other media such as Blades my focus begins to ebb, and my day job begins to cloud over my dream to fly for a living.

Lets cut them some slack, they must love this industry as much as we do to keep trying, and I for one applaud that. Its a tough world out there, keeping a business going in this environment is an uphill struggle, I know, thats why I have not flown this year :(

Lets just hope I don't eat my words!

500e
17th Feb 2012, 17:44
they must love this industry as much as we do to keep trying, and I for one applaud that. Its a tough world out there, keeping a business going in this environment is an uphill struggle,
Sounds like BBC:E

helicopternews
18th Feb 2012, 09:27
they took my money and did not provide the subscription that is how.

helicopternews
18th Feb 2012, 09:29
Bravo guys, carry on doing what you have done at least I get your publications.

helicopternews
18th Feb 2012, 09:33
if you would have responded to emails and atleast picked up the phone and advised me of your position it would have been atleast somewhat different but you acted in a manner which was not acceptable.

I can only mention the FACTS of what happened, I even had to ask the liquidator for information.

toptobottom
18th Feb 2012, 09:46
helicopternews - you clearly have an emotional problem which is affecting your ability to think logically. Once a company goes into administration, its directors have nothing more to do with the running of that organisation - it's under the control of the administrators. So if your requests were ignored, your beef is with the administrators, not the old directors.

Liquidation is the final bit of process if a company doesn't survive administration and often doesn't happen for 18 months.

With respect, I think you're the one who needs to get the facts right and stop venting your ignorant frustration on PPRuNe.

TTB

Max Shutterspeed
21st Feb 2012, 13:21
What I can't effect is the market place. Advertising revenue is tough but since September 2010 we were invited by Adobe to be on the pre release programme on there iPad publishing software. Due to our editorial and LOOPTV angle we were the only aviation publisher in the world to be invited.
Since then we have been working on developing our apps and today we remain as the only aviation publisher in the world to have magazines that are built specifically for the iPad rather than PDF page turner efforts that are just the same as print versions.
We are blazing a trail and to date we've had over 40,000 downloads of our apps and the growth over the last week since we went on Newsstand with LOOP and BLADES has been incredible. We have had a ten fold increase.

Great news about your Blades App. Bugger, yet another reason to buy an iPad. Can anyone shed any light on which one is optimum? Thinking about mainly digesting content such as Blades - how much space do publications take up? And also, is the 3G version needed to run some of the navigation apps out there?

toptobottom
21st Feb 2012, 16:37
MS - there are several threads on PPRuNe about iPads and their suitability as a nav aid. The iPad 3 is expected to be released (in the US) next month, but if you're only planning on using one for reading/surfing and maybe running nav apps, it might be worth waiting a few months and buying the current iPad 2 with 16gb. Prices are already dropping and will tumble once the 3 hits the streets :-)

PS you don't need 3G to use GPS

flybull
21st Feb 2012, 20:56
I stumbled across this - downloaded the iPad app and the first edition for free.

212man
21st Feb 2012, 22:30
PS you don't need 3G to use GPS
Please expand

toptobottom
22nd Feb 2012, 09:36
212man - which bits do you need expansion on? The only reason you might need 3G is to download the maps; if the maps are already installed on your device however, then there is no need for a 3G connection (or any other mobile connection); the device just needs to be visible to the satellites :ok:

uniformkilo
22nd Feb 2012, 10:47
The issue is that the wifi-only version of the iPad2 has no internal GPS, so if you want to use it for satnav you either have to tether it to your iPhone (which passes GPS data to it from its internal GPS) or buy a GPS dongle to plug in or bluetooth to the iPad.

Haven't tried it yet myself.

toptobottom
22nd Feb 2012, 12:03
UK
Thanks, you're quite right; my mistook :ouch:

There's another thread on iPads/GPS here... (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/454254-ipad-2-air-nav-pro.html)

Nige321
22nd Feb 2012, 18:15
Be aware that the latest issue is huge at 302mb - don't try downloading it any other way than wifi... They really need to compress the pics a bit more...

homonculus
22nd Feb 2012, 21:53
As an aside I am using Flymap on a 3 G IPad. I don't use a SIM card but didn't want a second box for GPS

The GPS is amazing. I have used it the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere and it has never dropped out. Position acquisition is under 15 seconds

The Flymap app needs some upgrades such as waypoint input and chart movement but for just over 100 pounds it beats the pants off Garmin

Sam LOOP
23rd Feb 2012, 10:57
The issue sizes are not down to compression sizes of pics but it is something that Adobe are working on. At home i have just 1.5mb download speeds but i still managed to download the latest issue last night in 20 miniutes. At our office we have upto 70MB downloads and like a virgin on his first bunk up it's all over in a matter of seconds!:rolleyes:
It's the video and interactivity that pushes the size up. But it's the video and interactivity that really makes the App so good. It makes the whole App much more entertaining and is well worth the wait.

Max Shutterspeed
23rd Feb 2012, 11:06
Thanks for the info. So I need to look at a 16Gb 3G then. Will possibly wait, as suggested, until the new one looms.