PDA

View Full Version : Dead pilot flying.

Stikybeke
24th May 2010, 22:27
To all,

Here's something I've been mulling over for a while. I propose a thread where some (silent) reality checking might just help to save an aviators life. I've posted in this regard within another thread.

If you want to play, here's the rules:

No names, no locations, no identification aside from aircraft model.

Just a date, an aircraft and a brief outline of the foolish activity that the driver was engaging in at the time.

1. Yes it might be confronting with that aspect directed towards the pilot.

2. Yes it might be embarassing (if you identify yourself as the pilot responsible) or someone who knows you speaks with you about it.

3. Yes it might help you to stop and take a reality check of your behaviour in the sky.

4. And yes, just hopefully, through this process it might just help to keep you alive to fly another day.

Over to you now,

Stiky
:ok:

Aerozepplin
24th May 2010, 23:22
I don't know how CASA regs work, but I know that the requirements of NZ's CAR Pt.12 are very clear. There is a requirement to report safety related occurrences, and it is illegal to purposefully neglect to do so. If you state on here "a Cessna 209 came within 10 feet of my FW190 on a reciprocal heading overhead Taranaki. You know who you are", then you are in effect saying you ignored your Pt.12 requirements in a public space.

In New Zealand if you report this event and it is considered to be a 'big deal', which a near mid air is, then an investigator will be having a chat to the parties involved, and a resolution to avoid a repeat will be formulated. This should mean you don't need to "shame" them on a forum. If you're worried about the other pilot, unless they were doing something really stupid, the investigation will be the end of the matter, and everyone will be that much wiser for the experience.

So without wanting to sound too self righteous, before you post anything about people doing dangerous things, have a think about whether the rules REQUIRE you to do something about it. Because if you choose to ignore a event, or only discuss it informally, and that same aircraft or airspace sees a real mid-air at a later date, then you've ignored the tools that are in place to try and stop such things.

If you are merely an observer however, well, then you business is your business.

777WakeTurbz
30th May 2010, 03:17
So rather than have a pointless thread here, why not change the guidelines...
For instance if something dumb/dangerous was seen to have been committed and was reported as either an Incident or Accident by yourself or a 3rd party, then there is no reason people cant relay the event through this thread still.

Surely there would be some interesting stories out there for us to hear... :E

bushy
30th May 2010, 04:01
This is a subject that should be discussed at length, as it is very important, but I bet no-one is game to do it honestly. One of the serious problems with aviation in Australia is that honest discussion is inhibited by fear of reprisals. (yes I know, that does not apply to you, as you are absolutely honest with the authorities,and you trust them implicitly)
Aviation in Australia appears to be like religion, or the military, and woe betide anyone who questions anything.
Instead, it should be like science, where we question everything, even the long standing customs and beliefs.There is of course a requirement in aviation for self discipline and the use of proven practices, but enquiry should be common and encouraged.
Internet forums are the nearest we have got to widespread technical discussion, but it does have it's limitations.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
30th May 2010, 04:30
One day I was hooning around in class PPRuNe airspace at Flight Level CASA-is-my-overseer-and-friend when I came across what looked like a very good idea and I was about to take it up when all of a sudden I suffered an explosive decompression and all the common sense was sucked out of the cabin and replaced by the fear-ether which exists at the above mentioned FL.

I have decided to descend and take the low road (A100).

FRQ CB

tail wheel
30th May 2010, 06:56
Just a date, an aircraft and a brief outline of the foolish activity that the driver was engaging in at the time.

A word of caution: The above information (along with flight plan records) is probably enough information to interest those at CASA with nothing better to do! :{

If I'd done something a little silly and failed to report the matter to CASA, PPRuNe would be the last place I'd be posting a confession........... :eek: