PDA

View Full Version : EK Recruiting

donpizmeov
24th May 2010, 13:16
Wouldn't it be funny if the new reduced hours for EK pilot recruiting was a mistake? :E

The Don

Wizofoz
24th May 2010, 13:47
Hope not, it made a lot of sense.

Much easier to train a guy with 2.5K flying large, EFIS jets for a decent airline than someone with 4000hrs on 727 frieghters in the back-woods.

Oblaaspop
24th May 2010, 13:55
Spot on Wiz!

I fully agree with the new criteria. I think a 25 year old chap who went through Oxford and then went straight to Easy on an A320 for 2500 hours would be a far better prospect than some of the dross that has been applying in recent times.

Now hopefully they will even look at bringing in young turbo-prop guys to sit as cruise pilots for a couple of years....... Should've happened a long time ago!

millerscourt
24th May 2010, 13:56
Wizofoz

Easier to train yes but why would a guy with 2.5k hrs flying large EFIS jets for a decent airline want to join EK? Can well understand someone on 727 freighters in the back-woods wanting to join if one can believe half of what one hears about EK.

N1 Limit
24th May 2010, 14:13
Hey guys
i had an argument with a friend of mine the other day about joining EK,apparently he got a letter telling me to get his ATPL befor his application is further processed,he's seating around 7000 hours but mainly on props and 737-200 but has no experience on Glass cockpit,is that possible with these details to join EK?

BYMONEK
24th May 2010, 14:31
Millerscourt.

Why?

Mmm, lets see:

1) Financially Secure airline with huge expansion plans.
2) New modern fleet, well maintained.
3) Generally high standard of free accomodation.
4) All utilities covered unless you keep an air conditioned shed and a 30 ft pool.
5) Tax free salary and currently strong dollar. (at least 50% better off now than my comparable colleagues from previous Company)
6) Transport to and from work. Whatever people say, it's like gold dust after an all nighter.
7) Great route structure and increasing variation of destinations. (Unless you're on the Airbus)
8) A 6% pay rise. Not great but better than -6% like BA.
9) 3 Weeks profit share. Again, not great but better than I ever had with my last airline.
10) Mostly a great bunch of people to work with. Pilots, CC and engineers.
11) Dubai. Not everyones cup of tea but far far worse places to live and bring up a family. Apart from the roads, I can't think of much safer places.
12) Petrol. A quarter the price of Europe.
13) EPC (Emirates Pilot's Club). A great bunch of guys running a great club with access to 5 star hotels, beaches, gyms and great discounts.
14) Sunshine most of the year. Knock it as a reason, maybe, but when you come from rain and cloud most of the year, it works for me and my family.
15) Peace of mind that i'm not subsidizing some militant economic migrant from some ****hole who demands human rights and free housing when he turns up on my countries doorstep. Along with 300,000 of his mates each year!
16) Great school for my kids. Class size of 21 with high standard of education and discipline. Mostly free.

Of course, those are the reasons why I came. But with a previous command and over 7000 hours at the time, mostly EFIS, people like you must have thought I was mad.

For some people, jealousy can be a bitter pill to swallow. :E

donpizmeov
24th May 2010, 14:57
Not saying that the low time fella is any problem, bring em on....just saying wouldn't it be funny if EK didnt mean to advertise it just yet. :E

Hows that song go...."oops its happened again!!!".

The Don

MrMachfivepointfive
24th May 2010, 15:02
You got a pprune death wish or what? Incoming!!!! The Oz direct entries will drown you in bitter tears, ridicule and tons of vitriol! You are a brave man though!
Myself - I am feeling totally victimized by the fact that I have to get out of the pool MYSELF - IN PERSONA to fetch another beer from the fridge. EK!!!! Where is the contracted beer fetcher?????

emratty
24th May 2010, 15:19
I am sure BYMONEK will get flamed by the usual culprits however I agree with alot of what he says. EK is not perfect but there are far far worse jobs out there.
Taking young pilots with 2500 hours on 737/320 types is in my opinion a huge step in the right direction.

MrMachfivepointfive
24th May 2010, 15:26
correct... considering that not too long ago EK took on a lot of folks with ERJ, CRJ, ATR time only - and those guys did great.

fatbus
24th May 2010, 15:30
it was 2500 back in 95

millerscourt
24th May 2010, 16:37
BY well Orion you were probably my F/O once!!

MON ?

EK now

I did say if you believe half of what one hears about EK

As you had a previous command then you no doubt joined at the right time.

Jealous? Not me! Turned down by EK which is the more usual response from some? Not me as never applied and although I did consider it once when you got some of our (SQ) A340-300's and when still current on type before going on the B744 the T & C's were not good enough to make me want to return to the Gulf region being an ex B767 Captain with GF. Does that answer your question?

PS I agree with all you say re your home country (UK) but where will your offspring end up after this first class education in Dubai? Probably back in the UK you despise ( and me too!!) The rest of Euroland is just as bad.

Gulf News
24th May 2010, 16:40
Not saying that the low time fella is any problem, bring em on....just saying wouldn't it be funny if EK didnt mean to advertise it just yet.

Hows that song go...."oops its happened again!!!".

Stop being so cryptic. You must know something solid. Come on Don don't leave us guessing about how the "Dream Team" has scored the latest own goal. :rolleyes:

sheikmyarse
24th May 2010, 16:48
not to mention the fact that he will have to stay or go back to the left seat for 5 to 7 years.....

harry the cod
24th May 2010, 16:50
Sheiky

You still lurking on these ME forums?

What is about EK that sticks in your throat so much............ah, yep, that's it YOU WERE FIRED YOU LOSER!

Anyway, nice to see your post is up to its usual low standard. Your temperature gauge must need adjusting on your toyota echo mate cause I thought it sometimes went that hot for 3 months of the year, not nine.

Still, reminded me of what my wife said to me last night in bed; "bloody hell, it's massive!" I just love it when people exaggerate.

As BYMONEK said, jealousy can be a bitter pill to swallow!

Harry

Oblaaspop
24th May 2010, 17:02
Hey Arseysheik, please could you forward me the details of the airline which offers 10% of the things you mention.. I mean just the stable job with predictable roster part sounds great! Ill forward my CV to you, perhaps you could put in a good word for me as you seem very worldly wise on all matters aviation. Thanks buddy.

Incidentally, have you ever actually been to Dubai? "45-50c for 9 months of the year"???? What planet are you on?
:E

Oblaaspop
24th May 2010, 17:05
You beat me to it Harry!:ok:

BYMONEK
24th May 2010, 17:18
Millerscourt

That's a somewhat toned down post to the first.

Firstly, my reasons for coming here were many. Like yourself going to SQ, I could not live in Singapore, neither HK for that matter but I don't knock people who do. There are many on these forums who do bash Dubai and EK. Whilst neither are perfect, they are the best choice for my circumstances. As you also correctly pointed out, timing was everything.

You are right to correct me on your statement about believing half of what you say. I was just showing what the other half was. Like sheikmyarse, if anything positive is said, they are quick to dissmiss it, normally with a vitriolic outburst. In their case, jealousy is often the rationale for their one sided view. I wasn't insinuating you fell into that camp, honest! :oh:

The UK has been a mess for the last 12 years plus and hasn't got better. Maybe a new government may turn things round but until that happens, I shall stay here. The children? Well, that will be something they will have to decide later. However, if current discussions are anything to go by, it will not be the UK that they will be returning to.

As for being your F/O..........................well, only if it wasn't in a 'brown' uniform! ;)

Enjoy the heatwave. :ok:

EK-or-bust
24th May 2010, 17:55
BYMONEK - I did not think I'd find people like you here.
My thoughts last night (http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/415787-guess-where-our-ek-bonus-went.html)
The bitter-tears people must be out working :ok:

White Knight
24th May 2010, 18:04
Millerscourt - joining in again on a forum where your knowledge is zero - so nice to see you back:D You've been away awhile! Been organising your free bus pass?:E

Anyway- well said BYMONEK.. I agree with every point you make (in your first post)..

nolimitholdem
24th May 2010, 19:24
Nah.

Spin it any old which way you want, smug yourself to death if you can about cars to work and job security, etc ad nauseum but Dubai is still a third-world ****hole with the mentality to match and Emirates is just petty tyrants. *yawn*

If the best that can be said is that it's better than OTHER crappy outfits in even less desirable locales, well...keep raising that bar, men! :yuk:

Nothing to be jealous of and I have no reason to be since I'm warming a seat for these fools. It's a job nothing more and hey, bills have to be paid. But I'm not gonna eat **** and pretend it's a sandwich either. I mean I do understand that after awhile people start to lose their grip on reality, but come on.

To each their own. I always have to look on in amazement though, as people state all the positives with a straight face. The things we do to survive and congratulate ourselves, I suppose.

GMC1500
24th May 2010, 22:11
Anyone else ever fly with a guy for whom nothing will ever be good enough? A first class, gold plated seat to a week long layover in paradise surrounded by free booze and hot women...and some guys will STILL complain that the booze isn't the right brand and the bikinis are the wrong color.

Point of order, Mr Speaker, rhetorical question...

millerscourt
25th May 2010, 02:51
BYMONEK and White Knight

Glad to hear you both love EK and Dubai because you have no chance of ever leaving. No jobs in UK for either of you even if you wanted one back there and it is a shrinking world of opportunity for ex-pat aircrew. The places you could consider moving to are getting fewer and fewer and offer no improvement.

WK I knew I could rely on you for a cheap childish comment.

BYMONEK What heatwave? It is always warm here in the S of France where I spend most of summer but I am in land of OZ presently and NO I most definitely did not use EK to get there:{ Enjoy your heatwave for the next few months in Dubai.

Wizofoz
25th May 2010, 05:13
But I'm not gonna eat **** and pretend it's a sandwich either.

But then, it said "****" not "Sandwich" right there on the menu, yet you ordered it anyway, didn't you NLH?

If you were naive enough to come here not understanding the limitations and pratfalls of working in the ME, I may fell sympathy for you, but ultimately that was your decision and your funeral.

For you to be so openly contemptuous of people who did their homework, knew what they were getting into, and are now making the most of what they have is disingenuous and churlish.

Nothing at EK has come as a surprise to me. A lot of things I would rather be different, but it is what it is and, on balance, it is the best place for me and my family at the moment.

Your continued presence here would indicate the same is true for you, you just don't seem capable of dealing with that fact and enjoying life while you are here.

You fu***d up. You left North America which, after all, is the ONLY way of life worth living. OK, we get it. How exactly is denigrating people who are not as miserable as you helpful?

Just by the way- where did you leave to come here, and what was your opinion of your LAST job before you decided to come?

maddog62
25th May 2010, 12:46
from late march until november my sunglasses just immediately get fogged for the heat and humidity.

got fogged for the first time on the 15 of may this year...:cool:

mad

White Knight
25th May 2010, 15:33
WK I knew I could rely on you for a cheap childish comment.

Ha - you taught me well... I'm sure I could trawl through your posts and find your snide, childish comments directed at me..
As for wanting to work in UK again... No thankyou:p:p
I'll enjoy my time off and holidays in Spain- you enjoy the south of France as I'm sure you've earnt it (sincerely:ok:)

EK-or-bust
25th May 2010, 15:55
Nolimithold - I pity the guys you fly with. Unless you find a kindred spirit next to you of course.
It is indeed getting boring, and I agree with the previous poster. Do move on.

Breachofcontractville? That was of course before you joined EK, right?

PLOT
25th May 2010, 17:59
We constantly read Dubai is a very expensive place to live!
Where & what discounts do you get with the staff card ?
In particular a family membership at a good Beach / Leisure club ?
Cheers.

P.S.
BYMONEK - thankyou for a refreshing positive attitude to EK !!!
It's nice to read something good about EK for a change on here !!!

EK-or-bust
26th May 2010, 07:06
Plot
Quite a few good beach clubs available free of charge once you join the EPC (run by a fantastic group of dedicated pilots here in EK).
They (EPC) have an extensive list of deals here in Dubai & beyond, making life here seem a little less expensive.

AP: I hear you. I spent three years flying with the same small group of sad b*stards. And guess what, only one of them has left the company during the last 9 years. Someone needs to grow a new set of balls! I suspect they are still posting the same old, same old here on pPrune.
Rumour has it that the one who left was less than thrilled with his new job in Aussie-land and requested to re-join EK. And was not allowed in, I'm happy to say.

Less crap from the FO's, apart from the obvious discontentment with the incredibly stupid change to the upgrade policy.

fatbus
26th May 2010, 15:06
big men on the internet - little men in person

taihaola
26th May 2010, 15:14
Hi everyone!

I had a call from EK recruiter the other day and after that my application
status changed from underview to shortlisted. Does that mean I will be
invited for the screening soon? And if so, how long will it take to be invited?

Thanks for any info!

Gusz
26th May 2010, 16:06
^ if you don't mind me asking, what's your total time, are you typed? just curious. I submitted my app a few days ago.how long does it take for them to call?
thanks

taihaola
26th May 2010, 16:40
GE Gusz
my ttl is almost 7000hrs, 1900hrs PIC on B737EFIS/NG
I applied a year ago and I got a phone call last week.:)

taihaola
26th May 2010, 16:42
And not typed on any EK fleet.
ICAO ENG LVL5

Gusz
26th May 2010, 17:20
^ thanks for the quick reply, good luck on the interview!:ok:

pschweitz
27th May 2010, 17:22
If 1 or 2 or even 3 people would complain about flying at Emirates...
Ok take it with a grain of salt. But that's not the case. MANY people are complaining about flying at Emirates... Even people I know that fly there. There must be s certain amount of truth about how bad it is. No?

Iver
27th May 2010, 17:55
While it is true that all pilots should be paid more and be afforded a good QOL, etc, etc, etc, - if you are applying to EK you should know that you would be moving to a foreign country in which your rules, culture, standard of living from your home country may not match. Don't be so naive to think that everything will be the same. Guess what, you ain't in Kansas any more. The culture will be different. The attitude toward foreigners will be different. The lifestyle may be different. It is a different country - so, expect some big differences...

I am sure that if you grew up in a Pakistani village, Dubai might be a huge improvement. People from India might prefer Dubai to the squalor of Mumbai. Pilots from parts of Africa might be thrilled with life in Dubai vs. their previous situation. So, life is relative. If you move to Dubai and you expect it to be exactly the same as life in London, Paris, Chicago or Melbourne, you are naive and a sucker.

Don't be stupid and set your expectations so high that they can't be achieved. At the very least, view it as an adventure and expect big bumps in the road.

mensaboy
27th May 2010, 18:30
I fly on a daily basis with guys who are extremely disappointed with things at EK but they usually comment after the flight that it was nice to fly with someone who was honest about things, yet not bitter. I agree that if a person is so twisted about things that it affects their job performance, they should quit. (even if their veiwpoints are justified)

I rarely fly with guys who are not good guys and that is the saving grace of this airline. But there is no denying the fact, that this company has gone too far.

There is actually a thread about pilots versus engineers which proves that there are always a few individuals within any category who disparage the majority. Read Bin Liner's, Mana's and most other ''always PRO-emirates'' posters and it should be obvious they aren't exactly the Einsteins of our group or any group for that matter.

Yeah, there are some great things about Dubai and EK and I am the first to admit and appreciate those things. But a person must be able to deal with the incredibly bad aspects in order to take advantage of the good things. You might be driving to The Grand Habtoor for an afternoon of relaxation with a silly grin on your face!!! and then in an instant you have some blacked-out Land Cruiser jeorpardizing the lives of your family.

With respect to EK, you might find yourself sitting in cruise with a silly grin on your face as the L1 brings you a coffee and sits down to have a chat!!! and then 6 (or 14) hours later you find yourself missing radios calls because you are so fatigued at 0530am.

Pilots would understand and deal with things better if not for the fact that EK management is so deceptive. Damn it all... treat us like the intelligent and decent people we are and just tell us you are screwing with our lives and let us make our own decisions.

But no, TCAS continues to stand up and say, '' I will support your decisions provided they are sound'', Yet history proves that he and AAR will take every opportunity to blame pilots regarding any issue. I cannot honestly think of one example when our 2 most senior bosses took the side of a pilot if it required some fortitude and intelligence.

If not for the Fatigue issue, which is one of the biggest issues in aviation then even in spite of the EK BS, this would still be a great job.

Unfortunately, every now and then you will have to fly with the likes of Bin Liner who simply is not suitable for this job. Hey Bin, you the lad who failed your sim and subsequently reported the Captain for absconding.... thereby punishing his intregity and honesty with a day in jail? A proud moment for you I imagine.

The hypocracy of this place is like no other. I find it amusing at times but only because my good fortune continues with respect to such issues. There will come a day though for most pilots who stay beyond 10 years, when something occurs which cannot be excused..... it is inevitable.

All expat pilots at EK SHOULD have an exit plan, because things can go sour in a heartbeat.

Masha
27th May 2010, 20:46
But no, TCAS continues to stand up and say, '' I will support your decisions provided they are sound'', Yet history proves that he and AAR will take every opportunity to blame pilots regarding any issue. I cannot honestly think of one example when our 2 most senior bosses took the side of a pilot if it required some fortitude and intelligence

You guys seem to be judging TCAS and AAR way too often on this forum. Have you met these gentlemen in person? Just curious

nolimitholdem
27th May 2010, 21:24
:}

Why are a few posters so afraid of calling a spade a spade? Could it be that they're trying desperately to rationalize a decision they can't reverse? Justifying the years they can't get back? The investments they can't recover?

Wiz, we're eating the same thing...if you choose to label it something else to make it more palatable then good for you! Don't "denigrate" me for not being able to take your approach...;-)

On any given flight it isn't so much a matter of finding a kindred spirit...I am invariably the more positive of the two (or four)! lol

Whomever said that because I think Dubai is a dump and Emirates, bullies, that I must be miserable? More like wishful thinking, I think. But alas, for now it is...the place that puts dirhams in pocket. And my "misery" is somewhat mitigated but the sheer amount of tail available in Dubai! Still a hole though. Can you not understand that it's ability to provide a salary (for now) does not make it good?

The earnest defenders are far more boring, in my not so humble opinion. Ok we get it, you would have lost your job in the UK, not made as much money, not had a company car take you to work. But quit spinning your **** to prospective joiners, EK has a whole propaganda department with a massive budget to do that already! I'm sure they appreciate your help but they don't need it.

Listening to the apologizers is like the Orwellian decree about fatigue from EK....hey we did a study and it said you weren't tired, so you must not be! ("HMMM....must...be....wrong....then....ZZZZzzzzzz....")

lol

Let's just agree to disagree. We each seem to have found a way to make it work, in some twisted way.

cerbus
29th May 2010, 09:52
Don't forget to say that EK does not honour contracts. There are 4 items in my personal contract that the company is not abiding by. That does not include the T&C that have been taken away after I got here.
We all know so many wives are on medication to tolerate living in Dubai and now after reading some of the above posts it is becoming increasingly obvious that some of the pilots are taking said medications to put up with the crap EK is giving.

fatbus
29th May 2010, 11:58
What are the 4 items ?

fractional
29th May 2010, 13:49
Head-butting???:ugh:...
Emirates starts recruitment drive for 3,000 cabin crew. Focuses on Abu Dhabi to facilitate expansion.
Emirates yesterday said it has started a recruitment drive for 3,000 cabin crew as it expands its fleet and global network of destinations.
The Dubai-based airline will visit Abu Dhabi this week in a bid to recruit additional cabin crew to help service the company's rapidly expanding fleet and route network. "Emirates is seeking to recruit around 3,000 cabin crew this year in an effort to meet the demands of its growing fleet and route network," the airline said in a statement.
The Cabin Crew open day will be held on May 29 from 9am at the Al Maha Ariaan by Rotana, Hamdan Street, Abu Dhabi.

They are going to the heart of the Emirates...

Sir Osis of the river
29th May 2010, 16:01
Chatting to the EY crew, they are gonna get a lot of takers.....

EY should consider the T&C's of it's staff if it does not want to have a huge recruitment drive of it's own.

Pilots will follow close behind, (Or are they already leading the way:E)

Torben-Ruediger
29th May 2010, 16:09
Hey Guys,

where do you see that EK reduced the minimum to 2500 hours? Just checked their website and it still sais 4000 hours TT.

Thanks.

SMOOTHFLIER
29th May 2010, 18:15
can ek employ bankrupt pilots?

King on a Wing
30th May 2010, 08:17
Yes it will and it has in the past.All the best!

Cancel2LateLunches
30th May 2010, 09:20
Having read all the threads on life at Emirates, I am quite familiar with the draw back associated with work for this particular airline. Nonetheless I still find myself interested so I post this hoping to get answers to a couple questions.

1. As a young single bloke does the salary allow for a good lifestyle with enough left over to save some money/pay a small mortgage back home?
2. Is the general atmosphere in the flight deck pleasant or is it a case of only reading the manuals and talking about operational matters.

Cheers

motley flight crue
30th May 2010, 11:37
It doesn't matter if your bankrupt at interview. You will be bankrupt
after a few years in Dubai anyway. If you start at the bottom it can only
get slightly better.:ok:

NG_Kaptain
30th May 2010, 13:02
It's a rumour network. I heard that seventeen EY pilots applied this week to EK.
Mostly Dubai domiciled and 320 pilots.

helen-damnation
30th May 2010, 14:42
For the sake of a balanced discussion :uhoh:

I cannot honestly think of one example when our 2 most senior bosses took the side of a pilot if it required some fortitude and intelligence

The F/O (?) fired after the Colombo photo incident was dealt with in house by FLT Ops. Unfortunately, the upper levels of the assylum heard about the situation, overruled TCAS with the final result being well known.

I also know that a certain training gentleman went in to bat for the Manchester crew. The retard apparently acted predictably and threw his desk items all over the floor, literally!

Unfortunately, you have to live with it, or move on :O

MrMachfivepointfive
30th May 2010, 14:57
1) yes
2) yes
But the emphasis is on young and single.

atpcliff
30th May 2010, 17:07
Hi!

4000 total with 2000 jet
OR
2500 modern commercial jet

cliff
LFW
PS-Note: NO mention of minimum weight anymore!