PDA

View Full Version : Wake Turbulence for light acft

topdrop
24th May 2010, 00:21
CASA have provided 3 June changes on wake turbulence separation in Class D, but have forgotten to notify that this also applies in Class C from that date.
The changes have been included in ATC docs but I heard they forgot to include it in AIP - stand by for an AIP Sup.
As I understand new procedures:
VFR light arcraft behind Heavy and Medium do not have to be provided with a wake turbulence standard. They may be provided with Caution Wake Turbulence if ATC think it is likely to affect the aircraft.
Arriving IFR aircraft may request a waiver of the wake turbulence standard.

Atlas Shrugged
24th May 2010, 03:10
Only IFR can request waiver?

kam16
24th May 2010, 05:37
If an IFR aircraft is assigned a sight and follow with a preceding Medium or Heavy it is the PIC who is responsible for Wake Turb.
As top Drop states no Wake turb provided to VFR arrivals. ie ABC (C150)on downwind report sighting the B767 2 mile final 'ABC Traffic sighted' 'ABC turn base to follow caution wake turbulence'.
AIP Sup out this week I am told as it did make it in time for the AIP publication
2 flying schools that I have talked to who operate in Class C airspace were unaware of the pending changes!!!
Yet CASA are claiming the industry has been appropriately briefed......:ugh:

conflict alert
24th May 2010, 08:23
If its of any interest.......In NZ wake turb separation is not provided to VFR arrivals or IFR on visual approaches...C or D airspace. Been this way for years.

kam16
24th May 2010, 10:01
Yeh Australia is coming inline with ICAO.
It is the insufficient briefing to the industry that I have concerns about, add to this the lack of understanding by some pilots of wake turbulence.

QFF
24th May 2010, 12:17
I learnt to fly from the international airport in Glasgow, my little PA 38 Tomahawk mixing in with all the other heavy metal. We were routinely wake turbulence separated in class D.

This stemmed from a little incident when a friend of mine, following a BAe 146 or B757 (can't remember which - but something with extraordinary wake vortices) was coming in to land in the tomahawk when the wake vortex from the preceeding aircraft drifted across the runway and flipped him over - the next thing he knew he was staring up at the tarmac - the 4-pt harness saved his life.

topdrop
24th May 2010, 18:16
My advice for avoiding wake turb - use with caution
Fly 0.5 NM laterally offset from the preceding (same as wake turb separation standard) until you are either:
- 5NM behind Medium or 6NM behind Heavy (not sure how you are going to tell that in a non radar environment), or
- above the flight path taken by the Medium or Heavy and land beyond it's touchdown point.
Feel free to shoot me down in flames.