PDA

View Full Version : TEM Questions

aircabbie
22nd May 2010, 16:30
Anyone done AHUF exam lately ?? Looking for any exam questions that may have stuck to your mind!!!

Cheers
Cabbie:ok:

Widewoodenwingswork
22nd May 2010, 22:22
One that stuck in my mind was,

Which of the following is an unexpected error?

1. Something
2. Something
3. Something
4. Air traffic control giving you an incorrect instruction.

And aparently it wasn't # 4.

SnotNoseJockey
22nd May 2010, 22:55
The answer is SOMETHING

atc errors are threats. Flightcrew make errors.

das Uber Soldat
23rd May 2010, 00:35
TEM is utter bull**** and exists soley to provide psychologists some kind of paying employment.

There, I said it.

Icarus2001
23rd May 2010, 03:04
Definition: A threat is an external event or third party that; increases operational complexity, occurs outside the influence of the flight crew, requirs immediate crew attention to maintain safety.

Definition: An error is an action or inaction by flight crew that leads to deviations from organisational or flight crew intentions or expectations.

Source: GAPAN TEM Course 2007.

TEM is utter bull**** and exists soley to provide psychologists some kind of paying employment.
Or alternatively TEM is another way of viewing what happens in the operational environment and explains the error chain by defining the steps along the way.:rolleyes:

das Uber Soldat
23rd May 2010, 04:47
Thanks for proving my point.

Jazzy78910
23rd May 2010, 08:21
Does Human Factors Exam now feature heavily in TEM content since it's introduction last year?

If so, whats the best approach to take when studying for this exam? (Which texts, documents)

From my PPL Test:
What is the last line of defense in the TEM structure
Answer: pilot
(got this wrong as TEM was released not long before my PPL exam and my flight school had failed to warn me of it's existence)

aircabbie
23rd May 2010, 15:02
Lets say we have a ARFOR with some ****ty weather . Is the threat External , Enviromental or Expected external enviromental Threat?

After reading the CAAP regarding TEM there is NO mention of Enviromental or organisational but higgins stuff goes on about enviromental and organisational.

LOSA goes on about enviromental but whats CASA examining is it just internal ,external, latent ???

Anyone able to clarify this for me? It all seems so basic but after actually already attempting this exam is far from simple ! When I walked out of last exam I wrote down all the questions, well 30 of them so if your about to do this exam PM me and ill send em to you .. Have a few other subjects also ..

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd May 2010, 22:34
I have no idea what TEM is - guess that means I am doomed, huh?

Dr :8

Paul Alfred
23rd May 2010, 23:31
I did the ATPL Human Factors exam earlier this year....out of the 30 Questions...11 were TEM :eek: The obvious bottom line is that TEM is a big part of this exam now and if you cant get your head around it, you wont get the 70% pass.

Cheers PA

Jazzy78910
24th May 2010, 00:09
Thanks Paul, that's what I needed to know.

Sierra-Kilo
24th May 2010, 01:21
Only 11? I havent sat the ATPL HF yet, but i've spoken to alot of people that have attempted it. Majority said that 3/4 of their exam was the new TEM stuff. :ugh:

maverick22
24th May 2010, 01:33
Just as an aisde, are there any books on TEM that anyone can recommend?

Art of Flying
24th May 2010, 03:45
During my studies of HUF I found these links to be of use:

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homep...LOSA/LOSA.html (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.psy.utexas.edu%2Fhomepage%2FGroup% 2FHelmreichLAB%2FAviation%2FLOSA%2FLOSA.html&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fprivate.php%3Fdo%3Dshowpm %26pmid%3D1207955)

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homep...roject/617.ppt (http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/group/helmreichlab/Publications/Pub%20Project/617.ppt)

PPRuNeUser0163
4th Sep 2010, 08:35
Gday all,

sorry for rehashing this topic- but im about to sit AHUF and just a little confused as to the difference between External threats which are defined by tait as the environment the aircraft is operating in, and environmental threats which has the same definition!

Sure both involve such things as weather phenomena- TS, turbulence etc but is there any point of delineation so that if one is asked such a question you could definitively say its an external expected threat say versus an environmental threat.

Recent reports seem to indicate 40-50% of the exam is now TEM- any qs anyone has found or sat recently with advice ?

Cheers,

N

FOD Hazard
5th Sep 2010, 08:12
I sat the ATPL HUF exam a few weeks ago and had no problems. Get the 'safety behaviours-human factors for pilots' notes sent to you from casa. It costs 15 bucks for postage. READ the notes and a Tait text for the other stuff on illusions etc and you will have no problem. If you can't pass with that - address your study techniques. Happy reading.

(P.S - another good read is chapter 11 out of the latest ATC HUF text)

paperplanepilot
30th Aug 2012, 15:36
Whoa. 2 year old thread.

I'm sitting the exam in 2 weeks so I'll know better after that.
In regards to TEM here are some links.

Bob Tait's TEM (http://www.bobtait.com.au/images/stories/bobtait/pdf/errata/HPL_TEM_2010.06.10.pdf)

CASA's Safety Behaviours (No postage needed!) I think you want the facilitators guide. (http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Portal:Safety_Behaviours_-_Guide_for_Pilots)

CASA Safeskies Slideshow (pretty pictures for the easily distracted) (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100030/banks-tem.pdf)

CASA TEM CAAP 5.59-1(0) (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39608527/5_59_1%20%281%29.pdf)

CASA's ATPL Syllabus for TEM (Handy questions) (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90084)

Sometimes linking directly to CASA's website doesn't really work so just right click and copy the link and paste it into the address bar to get it to work. Sometimes I even have to paste it into google to get it to work on my computer.

Apparently you'll save time if you pre-study some aircraft accidents such as Portland, Tenerife, Everglades, Erebus.

Mach E Avelli
30th Aug 2012, 20:31
I am inclined to side with das Über Soldat. Who gives a rat's whether a threat is external, internal, diurnal or nocturnal? If it exists, surely it is enough to identify it and deal with it.
In my day we called staying safe 'airmanship' and the good old guard instructors and checkies hammered it home at every opportunity.
Perhaps the 'man' bit is politically incorrect? In which case how about a new subject called CDF (common dog f....)

hiwaytohell
30th Aug 2012, 21:40
Ahh but airmanship is common sense!

framer
31st Aug 2012, 00:12
Statements like TEM is utter bull**** and exists soley to provide psychologists some kind of paying employment. seem extreme to me. TEM was born out of the LOSA initiative as a means of depicting how things were dealt with on actual flights and I imagine (but don't know for sure, correct me if I´m wrong) that it wasn´t developed by psychologists at all.

In my opinion, TEM is a framework for teaching CDF to inexperienced people. When you first join the aviation industry you are not as skilled at anticipating potential problems and avoiding them as you are when you leave the aviation industry 10, 20 30 years later. Your CDF is built upon and honed over the years.
TEM gives young folk a kickstart, a helping hand to begin understanding the importance of always looking forward, always being on the lookout for things that are out of sequence or not a usual part of the operation etc. They can then go on and gain the experience that older aviators gained, but hopefully they didn´t start in the deep end like we did, they started with the water just over their ears, feet kicking furiously.
Framer

MakeItHappenCaptain
31st Aug 2012, 14:34
Neglecting the fact the original post was two years ago, I think this was a question;

People who ask for current exam questions on a public forum;
A) Are obviously too lazy to study,
B) Are possibly too dumb to be pilots,
C) Will ensure any posted question is changed (new questions...not a bad thing)
D) Probably get upset that although they've paid for their minimum hours, there is a conspiracy because they can't pass their flight test either,
E) All of the above

:rolleyes:

FGD135
4th Jan 2014, 09:39
Spot on, das Uber Soldat

Although, instead of psychologists, I would have said: air safety "advisors", or air safety "professionals".

The idea of a formalised subject on TEM is laughable. There certainly are some clowns in ICAO and CASA.

The purpose of the formalised TEM subject, as far as I can tell, is to stress to us that there are such things as "threats" and "errors", and failure to manage them may result in a UAS (undesirable aircraft state).

Well, fancy that!

Every single aviator, from the moment of his first solo onwards, has been well aware of "threats", "errors" and the need to "manage" them. It is bull**** in the sense that TEM, as a formalised subject, serves ZERO practical purpose in aviation. What a joke - at taxpayers expense.

Here's a test for those of you that think the TEM subject may have some effect on air safety:

Consider two highly experienced airline crews, both with exactly 30,000 hours aeronautical experience between them.

Imagine that both crews are in the middle of a flight, when a serious threat presents itself. Let us imagine that one of the crews has been through a TEM course. The other hasn't.

If you had to be a passenger on one of these aircraft, would you rather be on the one with the crew that had undertaken the TEM course? Do you think it would make any difference?

I am not talking about CRM or HF training/courses. I am talking purely about TEM.

I would rather be on the plane without the TEM enabled pilots. At least for them, their thought processes would be unencumbered. For the TEM pilots, some of their precious brain power could be diverted by efforts to fit TEM to their actions.

Hey, das Uber Soldat, I reckon we could get our names in lights. All we have to do is come up with some fancy phrase that sounds really good for air safety.

How about:

Positive Flightpath Management

It has a good ring to it. It sounds good as a three-letter-acronym (PFM), and, importantly, it has the word "management" in it.

"Loss Of Control" (LOC) is an accident category causing some concern at the moment. We just wait till the next ICAO air safety conference dealing with LOC, then we present some white papers on PFM.

These papers will talk about LOC, but from the viewpoint of PFM. Everything about control, or loss of it, will be presented, but in terms of PFM. And we will make sure the word "outcomes" appears frequently amongst the other airy and nebulously worded passages.

A few years later, and hey presto! PFM will be included in the CRM courses of the day. Of course, some smartarse on Pprune will probably notice that PFM is all really just a load of hot air...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Jan 2014, 11:45
Not all 'Airmanship' is 'common'....

And 'Common Sense' ain't so common no more....

Is this the delineation / demarcation between us 'oldies' who have survived, and those who are attempting to do so..??

I think I'm a skeptic on this, and all I can say is....THANK the gods I am 'beyond' this.....

Cheers:p

Tee Emm
4th Jan 2014, 12:00
I remember when TEM was introduced into one Asian airline. The captain did the briefing:

"The threat is the runway. It is raining and is wet. I shall manage the Threat by not using reduced thrust. The next Threat is the weather ahead. There is a CB on radar at 10 miles. I shall manage the Threat by asking you to contact ATC and ask if we can deviate 10 miles left of track. Any questions?

Yes Sir, whose leg is it?"

Thank you, I was coming to that. The third Threat is you. You are inexperienced. I will manage that Threat by doing the leg myself"

FGD135
4th Jan 2014, 12:27
I think I'm a skeptic on this, and all I can say is....THANK the gods I am 'beyond' this.....
Don't worry, Griffo,

You have been practicing TEM perfectly for all of your flying career!

But what would you think if somebody sat you down at a TEM seminar and told you that, in aviation, there are "threats"; that you could make errors, and these threats and errors must be managed?

Would you think it was April 1st? Would you get up and leave? Would you start looking for the candid camera in the room?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Jan 2014, 14:54
Hi Mr 'F'.....

This one..."Would you start looking for the candid camera in the room? "

Cheerrrsss :p

:ok:

Arm out the window
5th Jan 2014, 06:13
I have no idea what TEM is - guess that means I am doomed, huh?

Shock, horror ... better hand the licence back!

Centaurus
7th Jan 2014, 11:13
Seems to me the whole thing is an arse-covering exercise (TEM, that is) designed to ensure your voice is heard to be mumbling the politically correct jargon into the CVR in case of a lawyers picnic.

Most pilots I am sure, look outside at the departure environment before starting the take off roll to in order assess anything of immediate flight safety interest. You don't have to make a song and dance of it. You simply use your eyes or look at the weather radar if you have one. There is no need to talk out aloud - just use your eyes and ears and make a mental note.

For example, when my instructor sent me on my first solo which was in a Tiger Moth at the all over field at Bankstown yonks ago, I lined up - saw the green light from the tower and had a quick look around for aircraft on short final and then opened the throttle.

I had real good eye sight in those days. In today's jargon I would have to mutter to myself through the Gosport Tube (Google it if you wish) to check the various Threats like the Moth just landed on the grass in front of me and about to turn crosswind before taxiing. I would manage that Threat by temporarily disregarding the steady green light until the pesky Moth had definitely stopped and not about to taxi into my take off path.

OK, todays student pilots are stuck with multi choice exam questions about Threats and Errors and how to manage it all. Thank goodness this writer is well beyond that stuff. I ramble....sorry!

Kharon
7th Jan 2014, 19:07
Centaurus # 28 - For example, when my instructor sent me on my first solo which was in a Tiger Moth at the all over field at Bankstown yonks ago, I lined up - saw the green light from the tower and had a quick look around for aircraft on short final and then opened the throttle.

I had real good eye sight in those days. In today's jargon I would have to mutter to myself through the Gosport Tube (Google it if you wish) to check the various Threats like the Moth just landed on the grass in front of me and about to turn crosswind before taxiing. I would manage that Threat by temporarily disregarding the steady green light until the pesky Moth had definitely stopped and not about to taxi into my take off path.

Good catch Centaurus. I am enjoying the 'airmanship' thread, stirring tales of derring –do and extraordinary circumstances bringing about the superb skills. But the above quote, for my two bob, defines "Airmanship"; situational awareness, practical sense, a better than vague idea of what is actually occurring and knowing how to assess, address and reduce the risks in any situation.

Alisakg11
21st Oct 2018, 11:03
Hey guys, recently attempted AHUF and although I thought I was ready I got 68% with the majority of my questions being TEM about 40%.
All my KDR's were TEM and the questions were like nothing that I had studied (the Bob Tait and AFT book, along with AFT Cyber exams).
Feeling a little stuck as I actually really enjoyed this subject. Not too sure where to start now but I would like to resit it ASAP.
Any help as to where to look etc will be appreciated

Tee Emm
21st Oct 2018, 23:21
What is the last line of defense in the TEM structure

That's easy. If before take off - PARK BRAKE ON..

Shoulda_beena_tradie
22nd Oct 2018, 12:06
Hey guys, recently attempted AHUF and although I thought I was ready I got 68% with the majority of my questions being TEM about 40%.
All my KDR's were TEM and the questions were like nothing that I had studied (the Bob Tait and AFT book, along with AFT Cyber exams).
Feeling a little stuck as I actually really enjoyed this subject. Not too sure where to start now but I would like to resit it ASAP.
Any help as to where to look etc will be appreciated
Hi Ali, I sat it not too long ago. I also enjoyed the majority of the subject except the dreaded TEM. It may help, it may not. But for what it is worth, my method was to memorise a flow chart of the TEM model (it's not that big as you'd know) and do the old process of elimination for categorising each question. It seemed to work for myself and I passed pretty comfortably. At the end of the day, majority of those TEM questions are ambiguous and you can only apply so much logic! Hope it helps somehow, good luck for the second sitting, I'm sure you'll be sweet having come so close.

Tradie