PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Eddy must fly
20th Oct 2000, 19:18
I know this topic has been brought up many times but I would like to know how bad must your asthma be to be denied a class 1. I do alot of cycling, rowing etc so my cardiovascular is alright, but if any body could give advise on what to do.

Regards

Eddy

Duncan2
24th Oct 2000, 19:28
Eddy,
I am interested in this too. As far as I know, if you make any mention of athsma you can expect to take a run around the block so that they can see the effect of your asthma on your breathing ability. They do this, as far as I know, by asking you to blow into one of those lung capacity tubes before and after the run. If and when you go for the medical I would appreciate your version of this as what I am providing is second hand info!

Eddy must fly
24th Oct 2000, 19:56
Duncan

Just to let you know i phoned the CAA and they told me I have to get a resume from my GP stating what medication I'm taking etc.
They told me it shouldn't be a problem but they tend to get a bit sticky if you have been hospitalized for it. Luckily I only take medication when doing sport so t think I'll be alright because I'm fairly fit.

Let me know if you need any more info

Regards

Eddy

monkeyboy
25th Oct 2000, 15:23
Duncan2, back in June when I did my Class 1 I too was concerned and as it turned out I had no reason to. You see, I used to suffer from mild asthma but only used to pop the old Ventolin before a run etc and no other time apart from that; but then about a year ago I came off it completely and managed to run without the need for the Ventolin/Salbutomol. At the Class 1, the nurse noticed that I had put History of Mild Asthma on my form to which she asked if I was on any medication. When I said no, she simply asked me to breath into a computerised Peak Flow machine and after 2 to 3 blows I was told that my capacity was above average so no run for me! I understand that if you come close to the borderline you're asked to run around the block a few times, less than a mile, and then you sit and wait for approx 10-15 mins before they check your capacity again. I know this because there was a guy there who had to do this. I hope this helps to ease your mind a bit. I can remember that I was extremely apprehensive beforehand because a lot rides on the success of your medical. Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine!
:)