PDA

View Full Version : The Bates Method...vision improvement

El Cid
2nd Dec 2000, 17:13
Seem to be a lot of threads about the new eyesight limits at the mo and I would just like to remind folk not to dismiss the Bates method.Totally natural,free,safe AND IT WORKS.I have brought my eyesight back into the old 3 doptre limit with it and there are numerous pilots on this site who have done the same,Mr Magoo for one,do a search on his name and see what he has to say on the subject.Most opticians do not agree that it works but they most certainly are wrong.Mine once told me that I only THINK I can see better...hmmm...I was only imagining that I could clearly read the lines I would not have had a hope of reading just a month earlier."Another pair of spectacles mr Cid?"
I am not knocking opticians as it is very important to have your eyes checked for health,but I can assure everybody that their views on the permanence of myopia will have to change when more people discover the Bates method.
Please consider trying it before going for the slash'n'burn option,as many airlines wont take you on after this op,even if you have a class 1.Remember also that you only have to bring yourself within the limits,not rid yourself of glasses completely to get your class 1.

wishtobeapilot
2nd Dec 2000, 22:28
El Cid,
Did you buy the book to learn Bates method or found it somewhere on the web? Please advise as I like to try it. Mr. Magoo recommends wearing +2 reading glasses over regular glasses to help reduce myopia. Have you tried this method. I'm at -6D and I just started taking Bilberry tablets. Damn they expensive. But I'm willing to try anything.
Thanks.

Mr Magoo
3rd Dec 2000, 00:25
Glad you're getting results too Cid, I've been the proud owner of a JAR Class 1 medical for nearly 6 months now thanks to the wise Dr Bates, (and no bloody thanks to 99% of the opthalmic mafia!!).

Keep up the good work and "see you" at FL fantastic.

Magoo

PS wishtobe - bilberry might improve night vision as you're increasing the beta carotene input, (Carrots work too so the old wive's tale about carrots is actually TRUE),
The beta carotene increases rhodopsin levels which the rods in your eyes need to have to see at night - amasing what ATPL level HP&L teaches one Eh?!.

[This message has been edited by Mr Magoo (edited 02 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mr Magoo (edited 02 December 2000).]

boeinglover
3rd Dec 2000, 18:59
Mr Magoo,

You have mentioned that you were -5D initially and after using a +2 glasses over the original one that is simple maths calculation

-5+2 = -3D well within CAA requirements..am I right?

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 03 December 2000).]

Mr Magoo
3rd Dec 2000, 19:29
Hi BL,

Yeah that's the idea - wear the +2 glasses over your usual ones and

1. You'll look daft BUT:

2. you'll be helping pull your eyesight up.

Don't forget that opticians prescribe lenses that give you 6/5 vision in each eye which is too strong - this leads to your poor old eyes adjusting to the new prescription and being driven even more myopic, (especially true in children who's eyes are still growing).
This over correction is a vicious circle leading to worse eyesight for you but more profit for the opthalmic mafia when they dish out more expensive glasses!!

Cheers

Magoo

El Cid
3rd Dec 2000, 22:11
Wishtobeapilot...I first of all got a book about the method from my local book shop,and it seemed to make a great deal of sense so I invested in a couple of lessons with a local Bates teacher,just to make sure that I was doinfg the exercises(non-exercises is probably a better word)correctly,but since then I have been quite happy and successful practising it on my own.I always have the option of going again at any time,but I don't think I will need to.The bates association has a website at <A HREF="http://www.seeing.org" TARGET="_blank">www.seeing.org</A> and they can give you info on books and teachers in your area.Its worth having one or two lessons but that does not have to be a lifelong committment.The essence is to relax and "allow"your eyes to return to how they should be.This can't be achieved by wearing glasses.
At least there is one thing that the opticians don't deny and that is that you cannot harm your eyes by not wearing your glasses PROVIDED you accept your vision for what it is and dont try to force it.It will come.
Good luck
EL Cid
ps as for wearing the reading glasses over normal specs for close work I cant comment as after only a couple of DAYS doing the method I was able to read without any aids at all,but then again my eyesight was only a bit above the old 3 dioptre rule.If Mr Magoo has said that it works(his sight was much worse than mine to begin with)then I would accept that it does.

[This message has been edited by El Cid (edited 03 December 2000).]

Jason2000
3rd Dec 2000, 23:08
Mr. Magoo,
My eyesight is just over the -5D limit at the moment (I think that's due to the extra astigmatism). You say that one way of re-training eyes to see properly is to wear +2 lenses on top. I guess wearing just weaker glasses (in my case -3D) is the same; correct??
I have an old pair of glasses which are -4D (with no astigmatism) but I cannot see a blooming thing with them on!!

What else can I do to improve my vision? I'm at uni at the moment studying Aero. Eng. with the one goal in mind of becoming an airline pilot and I do not want to give up, certainly not just because I cannot see as well as I need to.

Cheers in advance,

Jason :)

boeinglover
4th Dec 2000, 07:55
Mr Magoo, what jason2000 had mentioned did make sense too.

One could have just make a -3D or even -4D prescription to wear rather than using the +2D over the usual -5D glasses. I also strongly believe that Opticians do at times over correct or under correct our vision to make some profits instead of curing the eyesight problem of consumers. Otherwise they wouldn't be in this line of business.

Mr Magoo, how long did it take you to notice the difference of vision improvement after you had used the + - D methods.

Regards,