PDA

View Full Version : JAA Class 1 medical

Dastardly&Muttley
14th Oct 2000, 20:13
I'm aiming to take the JAA class 1 medical in the near future and, without sounding like a complete demick, (!) (well, none of us are perfect!) would like to find out about 3 things that immediatley concern me: 1)the hearing standards required; 2)the body mass index; and 3)mild childhood Asthma.

Apart from these 3 things, I don't feel worried about everthing else that's in the medical (I already have several fairly detailed run downs of what's involved from posts on the archive.)

Regarding hearing/audiogram: though I haven't seen a G.P./audiologist yet, I know I have slight tinnitus in my left ear, (which obviously indicates some slight damage/tone deafness with upper frequencies probably). Even though, I don't perceive any everyday problems with my hearing -- in fact it seems better than a lot of peoples I know.

What are the limits on the Class 1 medical audiogram? Anybody have the details? Does any slight tinnitus/ringing in the ear mean automatic failure?

With the body mass index -- I'm clinically under weight (body mass index is only about 18). Anyone know the range you have to fall within to pass this bit?

I've heard that you declare any history of things like Asthma on the questionaire you fill in...but I've not suffered any symtoms in 20 years; I keep fit and get pleanty of aerobic exercise, so I'm generally in very good health here. Even so, any details/advice would be appreciatd!

Any help/details/adviceon these factors would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

D&M

------------------
CATCH THAT PIGEON MUTTLEY!!

sr106
14th Oct 2000, 20:44
check out www.jaa.nl (http://www.jaa.nl) under JARs
Hearing standards are not too high
for initial. Tinnitus should be no problem

Barney
16th Oct 2000, 13:11
D&M,

I have tinnitus in my left ear - high freq loss at 6000 and 8000Hz. They are only really interested in the lower speech frequncies, so I wouldn't worry. The standards are fairly liberal, and are less stringent for renewal. Anyway, as long as you can hear a quiet conversational voice at 6 feet, in each ear, with your back to the examiner, you should be OK.

BMI? They do weigh you etc, but I don't think you would fail the medical for being overweight. You would only fail if this caused a problem in terms of BP or cholesterol, or if you had a history of cardiac events in you family.

Asthma? Talk to them about it. They may ask you to do the lung function test, and then get you to do it again after you have run around the quarangle.....yes, I'm being serious!

Just be honest.....they are there to help, as I found out when I went for my Class 1 in June of this year. I was fractionally outside the old eyesight req., but because my prescription was stable, and I was 26 years old, they were quite happy to issue me with it.

Good luck, and drink plenty of water before the medical, as you have to give a small sample. Oh, and take toiletries.....you can have a shower after. The gel they put in your hair for the EEG is erm, well....very yucky!!

Regards

Barney

Dastardly&Muttley
16th Oct 2000, 16:34
Cheers sr106 and Barney...looked at the JAA reqs. for the hearing...pretty standard: got to be able to hear 500Hrz, then 1, 2 and 3 Mhz at 20 db, and 3Mhz at 35db. Hopefully I should be OK hear (pardone the pun)...if, like you Barney, my loss is (which I presume) the higher freq. range beyond 3Mhz...

...With the BMI, I'm UNDERWEIGHT not overweight...hopefully though, same terms apply as if you're overweight? I.e. as long as there are no ill effects on health your OK? (Must say, have met pleanty of string bean pilots with my build!)

With childhood Asthma...heard before that they make you run around the block, then make you retake the tests...but presumably, they can't find out (if nothing abnormal shows up on tests) if you don't actually tell them? (I told the RAF a few years ago and they automatically rejected me!) As far as I'm aware, that they can't access your medical records without your permission due to the Data Protection Act? (Or so my G.P. told me a few years ago when having a Class 3 done.)

Thanks for the help...any more info/help appreciated! Thanks!

------------------

SKINNY1
16th Oct 2000, 23:15
D & M,

I suffer from very mild asthma, and as a result, when I booked my class 1 I was asked to get my GP to write a letter stating which medication I was taking and how much I used it.
But after I did the lung capacity test etc, I asked how well I did as I suffered from asthma. The nurse said the results were that of a normal person i.e no asthma, and there were no signs of any problems.

I wasn't asked to run around the car park, so I guess they were in a good mood that day :)

OnTheBug
17th Oct 2000, 14:46
D & M

Regarding weight, I'm 22, 5'11 and weigh 9 stone which is right on the borderline. I had the medical 6 weeks ago and they said ideally I could do with putting a stone and a half on. I'm dead skinny but fit and I cant seem to put weight on, no matter how much I eat.

In my case they said my weight being low wasnt a problem in itself and they passed me on it. However, when it came round to the ECG they said there was a slight indicator on the print out that showed my heart was pumping blood slightly fast but it wasnt a significant problem and the indicator might disappear if I put a bit more weight and bulk on.

I got the class 1 in 3 weeks rather than 4 so it seems like they are improving processing times. ALso, the consultant I spoke to said that the cost should be coming down soon. On the 1st September it was £400 but dont know what it is now.

OTB ... munching on pork scratchings :-)

[This message has been edited by OnTheBug (edited 17 October 2000).]

Dastardly&Muttley
17th Oct 2000, 19:21
OTB

Cheers for that...that's really reassured me regarding my weight/BMI -- I'm EXACTLY the same as you: 5ft 11 and 9 stone!

So looks like I'll need to start hammering the weights and start eating battery chickens by the dozen then!

One of the things I wasn't worried about was the ECG...so I COULD have that same problem if they say it's connected with being underweight? I'll get some more advice on that. Cheers OTB.

D&M

------------------

OnTheBug
17th Oct 2000, 21:07
D & M,

I'm not really sure if you could have the same problem. Thing was, it was all rather a mix up on the day, I had my ECG done twice in the end!
First time they had the sensitivity setting wrong which produced a graph full of nonsense. The second time they did it one consultant said that I had an 'indicator' which shows I might suffer from palpatations later on in life http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif . He said it could be related to my weight and that if I were to fatten up it *might* disappear. Then I went back to see the original doctor who did my examination and he said I didnt have a problem. So I left rather shocked and confused in the end and despite getting my class 1 I'm going to get my moneys worth and phone them to find out for sure if there is actually anything up with me.

I did a bit of research on this palpitations lark and it seems that they are when your heart adds a couple of extra or irregular beats. Thing is, from what I've read its meant to be perfectly normal for the heart to miss or add a beat now and again http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif Let me know how you go on ..

Lard for tea I think :)

OTB

[This message has been edited by OnTheBug (edited 17 October 2000).]

Barney
18th Oct 2000, 00:00
.......if the cost does come down from £400, I want a bl@@dy refund!

(or I'll have back that bit of the carpet in medical reception that I now own!!!)

AMS
20th Oct 2000, 02:07
Hi Guys,

I have my Class 1 booked in about 3weeks andhere goes my BMI which I believe is weight in Kg/Height in meter Sqrd comes to about 28 bloody hell, when I asked them about this they told me as long as it is below 30 you're fine but still try to lose some to stop problems occuring later.

My eye sight prescription has Cyl -2.00 in the Right and left -0.75. would this be a prob. what happen if you are boarderline to the astigmatism reqments??

Lung test well I have started training.!!!

Please advise

Thanks

AMS

PS you can also email me

Duncan2
24th Oct 2000, 19:35
Does anyone know where you can get a 'lung function test' device from? I would like to test my before and after exercise lung function before I go for a class one.

Dastardly&Muttley
24th Oct 2000, 22:05
Duncan2...

Think you can get it arranged through your GP/through local medical centre/clinic/hospital.

My sister's a district nurse I'll try and find out from her for you.

------------------
CATCH THAT PIGEON MUTTLEY!

[This message has been edited by Dastardly&Muttley (edited 24 October 2000).]