PDA

View Full Version : advice for goggle eyes

gemmie
14th Oct 2000, 19:55
I need some advice on eyesight. I need to pass a Class One medical and think that I am fully fit. I took the holmes wright lantern and passed, despite failing the Ishihara. I wear glasses for short sight but the correction, I think is 0.5. I don't wear my glasses all the time because I don't need to, but I need to know what limits my eyes can be within, or I am wasting my time trying to become a commercial pilot! Please give an 18yr old a-level girl advice!

Meeb
14th Oct 2000, 23:50
If you do not need to wear your glasses all the time then I am sure you are well within the limits.

The limits are: -5/+3

I think you will find you are ok, just check your opticians prescription for the details, good luck!

Mr. Fussy
19th Oct 2000, 04:38
The current eyesight limits are +/- 5 diopteres so you are well within the limits and if you pass the holmes latern test then I can't see you having a problem at all. Go and get the class one done, it is the only way to find out!
Best of luck!

Meeb
19th Oct 2000, 17:14
Mr Fussy, you are wrong, the current limits are +3/-5. I have already stated that in the posting above yours, or do you not even bother to read postings, let alone provide accurate information.

Mr. Fussy
19th Oct 2000, 23:44
meeb,

NO YOU ARE WRONG! I know because I could not get a class one medical for the last fourteen months under the JAA rules. I got one two months ago because the rules changed in europe to +/- 5 diopteres at initial issue. If you don't believe me then phone Dr. Perry in London on 0171 730 8045 as he is a JAA board member, or look on the CAA website or phone them, they will confirm that I AM RIGHT. Do not criticise me as I know more on this subject than most do! And by the way, I do read posts, that is why I responded to your INCORRECT posting!
:mad:

[This message has been edited by Mr. Fussy (edited 20 October 2000).]

AMS
20th Oct 2000, 01:58
Hi Guys,

Please advice me on the astigmatism and how flexi are they??

Also what happen if you pass your Class 1 and then your eye sight deteriorates ??

AMS

Meeb
20th Oct 2000, 15:19
Sorry to others looking into this thread!
Mr Fussy, I have checked out the CAA website, the limits are still +3/-3, if an applicant is over the age of 25, myopia ONLY can be increased to -5. That is what the website says, and those are the limits in the public domain, if you know something different, then that is something which is not published. Try not to be so much of a smart a*se and you will get on better both on this site and if you ever reach a flight deck, I just hope you are never my f/o.
www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/SRG_MED_VISSTD_JAA1.pdf (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/SRG_MED_VISSTD_JAA1.pdf)

AMS
20th Oct 2000, 21:26
Hi Meeb,

Is what is the difference between Myopia and astigmatism??

Thanks
AMS

Meeb
20th Oct 2000, 22:08
AMS, the link in my posting will take you to the relevant part off the CAA's website where it is all quite clear. Generally astigmatism is allowed up to 2 dioptres. As for eyesight deteriorating, I believe the limits are set where they are allowing for some deterioration through time. If you meet the limit to get the medical, do not worry about it!

Mr. Fussy
21st Oct 2000, 03:20
Meeb,

The CAA has not updated their website with this new information. I was merely trying to correct your original posting with the information that came in the form of a letter from Dr. Janvrin - the senior medical officer at CAA house!

You were the one that starting getting all arsy and arrogant about it. I don't want to fall out with you, but you started it! By the way, I'm not a smart arse, I just state FACTS! And I wouldn't want to be your f/o anyway, you seem like a right arrogant sod of a captain that would be an arse to fly with. Furthermore, how do you know I don't fly for a living anyway? You certainly make a lot of assumptions, and also you obviously can't stand to be corrected by someone else! Just accept that sometimes you are wrong and it takes more of a man to accept it then to get all defensive like you do.

And before you post again, phone the CAA just to confirm that I am right with my information, then it will stop anymore arguments. And finally, do a search on eyesight requirements in the archives, you will find lots of postings regarding the new eyesight rules because lots of people posted the news here when it happened after the JAA meeting several months ago.

Rant over :mad:

Meeb
21st Oct 2000, 13:15
For goodness sake Fussy, pull your head in will you. What is on the website is what people see, because you have a letter, that is not public, do you not understand? Anyway, when the rules were relaxed the limits were redrawn at -5/+3, so if they have changed again, nothing has been said publicly. As for your comments about my Captain status, you could not be further from the truth! :)