PDA

View Full Version : Flying hours / years

HOGE
18th May 2010, 20:42
I'm sure this subject has been aired before, but going through my loft and finding my old log books, I note I've been flying for a little over 24 years and now have 8000 hours to show for it. The first 2 years were PPL stuff, so not much there per year, then onto 13 years with Bristow, mainly SNS, so lots of landings, and not much flying time, and then 9 years HEMS with BAS, so again, not a lot of flying hours, but lots of handling and landing.

How do other Ppruners compare for years flown vs hours in the air?

Camp Freddie
18th May 2010, 20:48
hey man, 7500 hrs in 13 years, i make that about 575 per year. first 4 years onshore, 2 years NNS, 7 years in SNS.

regards CF

SASless
18th May 2010, 22:01
Ask some of the oldtime Bristow guys about hours....in one crew room with six of us one time we came up with a total of about 75,000 hours....high timers were at the 17-18,000 hour level. The amazing thing was there was but a single accident among us and that was a mechanical failure that was clearly not pilot error. Some of those guys are over 20,000 hours now and are finally beginning to retire with accident/incident free records.

dragman
18th May 2010, 23:16
South Island operations in NZ for me are returning a whopping 30 to 35 hours a month at best during the summer, probably half that in the winter. Glad I don't own a chopper!

Kholiban
19th May 2010, 01:55
Appr. 500 hrs a year. Offshore industry

Foggy Bottom
19th May 2010, 02:21
Been flying for about 40 years and just broke 24,000 accident free hours. The last 10 years have been kind of slow only averaging about 350 hours a year. So for the first 30 years I averaged about 700 hours per year.

griffothefog
19th May 2010, 03:51
Still enjoying the ride, 28 years a professional slacker, averaging 370 hrs per year, with plenty more to come inshallah :ok:

It's all about the ride.....:cool:

SASless
19th May 2010, 04:23
Griffo....as I recall we had to throw rocks at you to get you to fly!

ShyTorque
19th May 2010, 15:08
Isn't posting on this thread a bit like boasting about A...y M..y's L.....y W......s? :oh:

These days I just prefer to fly as little as possible for the money, practicing for retirement.

Thud_and_Blunder
19th May 2010, 23:40
Agree with the first part of your reply, Shy - I'm surprised no-one's trotted out the "onshore 1000 hours is a 1000 hours, offshore 1000 hours = 1 hour flown 1000 times" mantra yet. Having joined the 'autopilot' set a while back, I can't use the "9700 hours, all-hand-flown" line either - must've had George do the work for me for at least - ooh - 3 of those. That's got nothing to do with LNAA - different George.

Can't agree with the second part yet, though (btw don't let the spelling Gestapo see your 'practicing'). This flying malarkey still makes me want to wake up and go in to work every day (or night). Best way to take your camera to places most folk won't see outside a telly documentary, I reckon. Just wish I could be in Griffo's part of the world...

crop duster
20th May 2010, 14:56
I soloed on my 16th birthday and now I'm 49. A little over 20,000 hours in 33 years. I sure wish I would have kept a journal. At the time it seemed kind of dumb;but, looking back I'd like to have a written account of some of the things that happened without the time filter factored in. :)

griffothefog
20th May 2010, 16:52
crop duster,

Respect..... I only beat the bugs to death for 3 years and managed one spectacular acrobatic arrival (me in seat, aircraft scattered over 2 acres) :eek:

The trouble with our job is that at the end of the day, when you have retired with 10, 20 or 30 thousand hours, nobody will give a ****... you will get the same respect from fellow beer drinkers if you had been a plumber for all that time :{

We all become has beens too soon, which is why I say it is all about the ride... :ok:

Take care mate, those aphids can be deadly.. :p

SASless
20th May 2010, 17:02
Griffo....amazing how many wires there are when you are flying really low weren't it! Darn things are darned hard to see and keep a track of....especially the wee skinny ones that run out to the pump house or gennie shed!

Retired plumbers have a leg up on us....they can fix leaks and fix crappers....and the ladies know it!

zlocko2002
20th May 2010, 17:26
12yrs, 1500h :uhoh: , hand flown :O
military, sar, firefighting, soon desert & mountain, Insha'Allah :}

griffothefog
20th May 2010, 17:53
SAS,

I have spent/wasted a lot of my life trying to get ladies to leak with very limited success...:{

That's why I stuck to flying..... badly :ok:

Oh yeh, thread....... 10,300 hours :E

Geoffersincornwall
21st May 2010, 04:33
I guess all those hours mentioned above were legit! But what about abusing the system? What's the worst case of improper logging of flight hours you have come across?

In recent years I have seen:

Hours logged that were never even flown (guy got the boot when the boss found out)

Hours logged as TRI whilst occupying a seat in the cabin (they said it was legal but difficult to believe)

Hours logged as 'IFR' on the basis of having filed an IFR flight plan even though no IMC was encountered and flight conducted at altitude (not FL).

Hours logged as 'flight time' when occupying the intructor's seat in a flight sim.

Suspicious log book entries - guy was invited to move on.

Am I just unlucky to come across such activity or does it go on a lot ?

PS. Well done those 20,000 hour guys - respect. You must have a flat backside by now and probably several other symptoms of too much time in a goon-bag and being too close to a turbine - pardon! What did you say?

G :)

PPS - 40 years and 12,500 accident free hours if I'm allowed to count my SFI time - bit of a slacker

Canuck Guy
21st May 2010, 06:46
In my short 3 years, about 1500 hours doing Corporate, VFR odds and ends, EMS and Offshore stuff.

As far as logbook cooking goes.... don't even get me started. Some crooked mother truckers out there! But man is it great when they get caught, and they always do. :ok:

zlocko2002
21st May 2010, 07:24
You don't need IMC to be IFR flight, and to my knowledge, you can be below transition level in IFR flight (for instance in Croatia first FL 100, but you can fly 4000ft, you have to be above minimum altitude for that route or sector)

Heliringer
21st May 2010, 07:43
Zolocko,

In Australia we can only log IFR if we are flying in IMC. So you could do a 2 hour sector on a IFR plan but only log .4 IFR due to the rest of the flight being VMC.

Bertie Thruster
21st May 2010, 08:11
'morning Thud. Did I hear my name?

That's got nothing to do with LNAA - different George.

I always thought the flying pay we got in the military was 'danger money' because flying was potentially very dodgy!

...so I quite like getting paid mainly for hanging around, chilling out, waiting to fly (you know; sar, police, hems) rather than clocking up 1000's of hours boring dodgy holes in the sky!

..hence only about 270 hours a year. (30 years though!)

zlocko2002
21st May 2010, 08:19
in CAF we used to do same thing, but now we usually follow civil regulations in IFR. unles its sar or medevac, sometimes in imc between islands below 1000ft, with weather radar and gps :(

crop duster
22nd May 2010, 12:32
griffothefog said:
crop duster,

Respect..... I only beat the bugs to death for 3 years and managed one spectacular acrobatic arrival (me in seat, aircraft scattered over 2 acres)

The trouble with our job is that at the end of the day, when you have retired with 10, 20 or 30 thousand hours, nobody will give a ****... you will get the same respect from fellow beer drinkers if you had been a plumber for all that time

We all become has beens too soon, which is why I say it is all about the ride...

Take care mate, those aphids can be deadly..

griffo, you are exactly right. My job is just a tractor driving job. Maybe a little faster and better paying but it's still a farming job. Sometimes after a flying a 14 hour day I question why I didn't go into the family funeral home business. Pay is pretty good and there is always a need, so job security is there. But, it all comes down to the ride as you said. If you make it to old age and can sit back and look at all that's gone by and can smile at where you've been and where you ended up, that's all that matters. :)

SAR76
22nd May 2010, 12:43
Hey Heliringer, in Oz. i believe the rule is in actual or simulated instrument conditions, so foggles, screens up, etc counts when you are the flying pilot.

AirWon
22nd May 2010, 19:02
15 years, 8100 hours, last 3 1/2 powerline construction.
I tell the linemen that I always have my visor down so they don't see the fear....they think I'm kidding.
...oh, and what's an autopilot?