PDA

View Full Version : Mecir

Cessna 180
18th May 2010, 05:29
Where is the best/cheapest place for an IFR rating in Melbourne?

Mainframe
18th May 2010, 06:40
Mecir

A cheap instrument rating is similar to a cheap parachute!

The quality (i.e. "best") of your initial CIR will to some extent determine your survival potential in the future.

The cheapest option has seen the loss at least two associates in IMC fatal accidents.

Bob Harris, Innisfail Nth Qld, Lester Neideck, Caloundra rank as some of the toughest and best in my part of Oz.

Port Maquarie, maybe still a good school there.

In Sydney, Bill Whitworth,

In Melbourne, I have seen some excellent graduates from Peter Bini.

It's your life, don't go cheapest unless you don't value it.

das Uber Soldat
18th May 2010, 08:42
I wouldnt fly at Bill Whitworths unless I was flying with Bill Whitworth.

:ok:

Josh Cox
18th May 2010, 09:19
I'd recommend Johnson at Port Macquarie.

Mainframe
18th May 2010, 09:26
Das Uber Soldat

Spot on with rgds Bill. At Bankstown I've renewed at Whitworth, with Bill,
and at Aerospace (RIP) with Sue.

Josh

Johnson's used to be good, wasn't sure if they are now Coastjets.
Is it the same Johnson's ? Same quality ?

Col. Flagg
20th May 2010, 06:42
Cessna, I just did mine with Peter Bini's Advanced Flight Training. In particular with the CFI Steve Pearce. He is booked solid so you will need to lead him by about 2 months. I was told to go see Steve by my old man, he uses him as well.

Cessna 180
20th May 2010, 10:23
Thankyou Col.

You are the only one who noticed that I did say Melbourne!

Have heard that Steve Pearce and Tony Smith are the best around, but as you said they are difficult to get into, so was wondering who to after them

Josh Cox
20th May 2010, 22:16
The reason many have offered other localities is due to our direct experiences, many were in Syd or MEL and travelled to these places.

If you are only willing to do it in Melb, versus travelling elsewhere for 6 odd weeks, to a location with less delays, more access to approaches and/or a more complex type, you may not be getting the best training and value for money for your $$$$$.

Hence the suggestions above from pilots that have been in exactly the situation you are in.

Mainframe, Johnsons is alive and well, same CFI and CP ( Jamie and Big Kev ).

Biggles78
21st May 2010, 08:24
Ditto Peter Bini's Advanced Flight Training (http://www.biniflighttraining.com.au/pages/default.asp). Did my training with Peter himself. Steve was the consumate professional and I can't imagine that ever changing. (WHV was a really nice plane to fly too)

Matt1
13th Feb 2011, 01:57
my hubby is doing his at mft, greatr service, happy with prices, and you dont get charged gst woo hoo

VH DSJ
13th Feb 2011, 04:25
my hubby is doing his at mft, greatr service, happy with prices, and you dont get charged gst woo hoo

does your hubby know how to use the internet or are you his secretary as well? :E

Some of the schools at Essendon would be a good choice as well. The cost of the ILS also includes the landing fee if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

Matt1
13th Feb 2011, 04:49
hahahah

VH looks a bit like that doesn't it.. but this is what happenes to me when i'm at home while hubby is in melb for 6 weeks doing his mecir, i get very bored and lonely, so i get onto forums like this and try learn more about aviation ( and do the odd bit of stirring :p sign of bordom) :ugh:

Maybe i should change his username to ""wife of financially drained unemployed pilot""

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2011, 06:06
C180,

DONOT under any circumstance go down the cheapest route. You may find that the cheapest rating you end up with will be from the most reputable schools i.e. if you are taught correctly right from the start and don't fail or have to repeat anything!

If you fixate on getting the cheapest rating it's another thing on your mind when it should be 100% on the rating.

Having said that, join Steve Pearce's queue. A more reputable or ethical fellow you will not find. You wont go too far wrong with MFT either, they've got an absolute gun of a simulator :ok:

tmpffisch
13th Feb 2011, 07:18
Jeez, this thread was started close to a year ago..... Cessna 180 has probably either finished the course already, or given up on being a pilot.