PDA

View Full Version : Technam Twin IR Training?

felixflyer
17th May 2010, 08:18
Hi

Now that theTecnam Twin has been cleared for IFR will we be seeing some IR training providers switching to this aircraft? Will this mean a cheaper IR? Surely the old Senecas and Duchess aircraft are getting a bit too old and inefficient now. An airline would have disposed of an old an uneconomical aircraft years ago so why do the schools still use them?

I know some schools have switched over to Diamond twins but there till seems an awful lot of these tatty looking old twins around at the schools.

B2N2
17th May 2010, 11:00
The Tecnam Twin is not a cheap aircraft to buy.
Insurance is usually a percentage of the hull value so I don't see how it could be cheaper to rent or train on a Tecnam.
Yes it has half the fuel burn of a Seminole but it will take thousands of hrs before you reach the break even point.
If you are looking for a new airplane I'd take the DA 42.

EDMJ
17th May 2010, 11:16
My local FBO has just acquired a Tecnam P2006.

I heard that it would offered for rent at approx. € 300,- (wet), which is about 40% less than a clapped-out Seneca at a neighbouring field.

At least in Europe, an FBO wouldn't have to pay VAT/MwSt/Sales Tax on such an acquisition, which in turn makes its price tag less dramatic.

That rental fee, coupled with its nice interior, short-field performance and the very positive reviews it has had, has made me think about a twin rating. The DA42 never did.

felixflyer
17th May 2010, 11:26
Airways at Wycombe are getting a Tecnam this month and will be renting it out at £230 dual £200 solo. I dont see how anyone can rent an old Seneca for this kind of money and keep it in good order.

I understand that IR training would be a higher dual rat than this but hopefully not the £350+ that is quoted at the moment.

MartinCh
17th May 2010, 13:52
multycpl and B2N2 shall not forget the rental/dual price differences between US and UK, especially the composition of fixed/variable/fuel costs plus profit margin.

ME IR dual training incl VAT in the UK is pretty damn too high.

B2N2
18th May 2010, 20:12
renting it out at £230 dual £200 solo
Once they figure out the real cost that number will go up no doubt.
But go ou:ok:t and enjoy it while it lasts...
If you're looking for a cheap twin just for fun this one's hard to beat;
Twin Aircam:
http://www.skycontrol.net/UserFiles/Image/AirSports_img/200801/200801-air-cam-congo-1.jpg

YouTube - Aero-TV: Stunning Perspectives -- Lockwood's AirCam (Part 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3FkwkAVYs&feature=related)

BHenderson
20th May 2010, 00:17
No de-icing.

felixflyer
20th May 2010, 07:28
Thatlooks like alot of fun. Sitting in the front must feel like your riding on a broomstick!:eek:

moona
20th May 2010, 08:43
I read in one of the mags that it can takeoff and still have a good rate of climb with one engine completely shutdown.